Gypsy's Hornpipe sheet music request

Acqua

• 3 weeks later...

I saw that same video and wanted to learn "Gypsy's Hornpipe", found it wasn't too easy.  The same guy plays "Orange in Bloom" which I've been learning and it sounds pretty nice.

• Like 1

On 5/3/2020 at 11:35 PM, Acqua said:

Heard this wonderful rendition and am looking for some notation for concertina.

If by 'notation for concertina', you mean a tabbed score, please say what key you want it in, and what sort 

of 'tina you have (G/D or C/G), and I will send you a score with 'advisory' tabs added (ABC or PDF - your

choice). I need to try my program out on some willing volunteers ...?

If you are looking for a pre-existing printed score, there are versions in G and/or D in:

Nick Barber's English Choice (Barber)

Hardcore English (Callaghan)

1000 English Country Dance Tunes (Raven)

Greenwich Traditional Musicians Co-operative Tune Book (Offord) 

and additionally there are versions in the following ABC files/tunebook:

Richard Robinson's Tune Book

melnets_big_abc_file.abc (I can't find the URL - look on melodeon.net?)

There were more but I either can't find the URL, or the organisation has ditched its web site for a Facebook

page (and I can't be bothered with Facebook).

Edited by lachenal74693
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, lachenal74693 said:

If by 'notation for concertina', you mean a tabbed score, please say what key you want it in, and what sort 

of 'tina you have (G/D or C/G), and I will send you a score with 'advisory' tabs added (ABC or PDF - your

choice). I need to try my program out on some willing volunteers ...?

If you are looking for a pre-existing printed score, there are versions in G and/or D in:

Nick Barber's English Choice (Barber)

Hardcore English (Callaghan)

1000 English Country Dance Tunes (Raven)

Greenwich Traditional Musicians Co-operative Tune Book (Offord) 

and additionally there are versions in the following ABC files/tunebook:

Richard Robinson's Tune Book

melnets_big_abc_file.abc (I can't find the URL - look on melodeon.net?)

There were more but I either can't find the URL, or the organisation has ditched its web site for a Facebook

page (and I can't be bothered with Facebook).

Hi Lachenal,

That would be great. I have a C/G anglo and tabs in the key of C in a pdf would be much more helpful since I'm not particularly well versed in ABC yet.

Best,

Jared

Edited by Acqua
missing key

13 hours ago, Acqua said:

...That would be great. I have a C/G anglo and tabs in the key of C in a pdf would be much

more helpful since I'm not particularly well versed in ABC yet...

OK, here you go. I've tabbed a version of the tune which can be found in the Melnet Big ABC File
(good job I took a copy - I still can't find the URL!!). I had to transcribe the tune from G to C (this

is easy in ABC). There are several versions of a tune called 'Gipsy Hornpipe' kicking around, I think

I got the right one! 

I've supplied two versions, an octave apart. The higher one is a bit 'squeaky' but you can pick
whichever one suits you best.

Outside of my own circle of acquaintances, you are the first person to whom I've supplied a
tabbed score, and I'm effectively working 'blind' here, so if either of the tabbed scores is
not what you asked for, give me some feed-back and I'll have another go.

The tab system is (more or less) the one described on the Australian Bush Tradition web pages,

but the system is fairly self-explanatory.

The tabs are 'advisory' in the sense that there are many notes on a 30-button Anglo which are
duplicated. For example, I can get G by pressing the third right-hand button on the C-Row (R3), 
or the first right-hand button on the D-row (dR1). I have supplied only one of the two (sometimes
three) options. This is a subjective choice, and I need to look carefully at this with a view to

possibly changing things in the future.

Good luck, and do let me know how you get on - feed-back is important.

RJH

[I will supply a little more detail to anyone who is interested in the techie side of the tabbing program either via a post here or a PM.]

GIPSY-cgtabs.pdf

Edited by lachenal74693
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/3/2020 at 3:35 PM, Acqua said:

Heard this wonderful rendition and am looking for some notation for concertina.

Cheers!

Oh hey, that's me! Thanks for providing tabs, RJH. I first heard it from one of the Button Box's demonstration videos (starts at 00:29) and played it from memory much later, so I didn't get the chords 100% right.

On 5/18/2020 at 5:34 PM, petey said:

The same guy plays "Orange in Bloom" which I've been learning and it sounds pretty nice.

Thanks Petey, credit for that arrangement goes to @adrian brown: video

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Luke Hillman said:

...Thanks for providing tabs, RJH....

My pleasure! If you have any specific comments, particularly relating to the specific note/button

allocations, please let me know. Thank you.These note/button allocations are entirely arbitrary at

the moment, and I am keen to get feed-back which will allow me to make a more 'optimal' choice

when there is more than one option for a particular note.

Email to rjhare at outlook dot com is the preferred contact route.

And here, at the bottom of the page, is Luke's beautiful arrangement with full accompaniment (with his blessing)......but with different tablature notation.

Luke plays with Berkeley Morris, check out their awesome new "Zoomingtion" tradition: 

Gary

Gypsy-Hornpipe-C-ANGLO-Luke-Hillman.pdf

Edited by gcoover
  • Like 3