How far is the salt air dangerous...

If you're considering the risk of salt air to Concertinas, how far is safe?

Just stay away from being on the water?

Be careful being within a few dozen feet of the water?

Stay a few blocks away?

Coastal towns are a bad idea?

Edited by Dave Weinstein

The subject was touched on (see Geoff Wooff's posts, among others) in a previous thread:

I live in an environment that is both damp and  inundated with salt air (a few miles from the Atlantic in Co Clare) and I can tell you from experience it's an environment where just about everything is affected by it, from leaves scorching off the trees after a day's strong wind from the west to everything that can rust, rusting and decaying at an astonishing pace. 

Edited by Peter Laban

Really  it does depend on the weather conditions  and playing location.    If  one is playing  outdoors  with a salty mist  blowing  off the ocean  and  at a temperature  where moisture will  rest  on steel  reeds, then   rust  will form  quickly  and  cause tuning  issues  at the least.  I lived  for  18 months  in a  house  on the cliffs  above  Doolin ( and many more years  as a neighbour  of Peter Laban)  without any problems...  but playing in the house or  at sessions  had no ill effects.  Playing my Pipes  at the beach for  funerals  (scattering of  ashes into the sea)    did its reeds  no  good at all.

As long as one is sensible  I can see  no problems  but  the  romantic picture of  Barnicle Bill  singing  sailor  songs on the deck of a square rigger  rounding the horn  in a hurricane  is, I do believe,  beyond  fiction.

Edited by Geoff Wooff

I keep My Lachenal anglo on my boat in the summertime  , it lives in a Peli case and I’m careful about making sure the atmosphere is reasonably dry when I’m playing. Been doing this for a few years without any noticeable detriment. I would say the boat is fairly “airy” and almost never feels damp . Hope that helps .

We are approaching the traditional three months of sunshine in the Pacific Northwest, and there are weekend places for rent along Puget Sound (salt water). The question is, assuming playing inside, on a dry day, but within 100 meters of the salt water, how much risk to the instruments are involved?

One  friend , who's house  is  virtually  on the beach,  had  a new car rust away  during the garantee  period. The warrantee  did not cover  living so  close to the  Atlantic.  But  her concertinas  have  survived  with no apparent  problems  at that address  these last  25  years.... so I'd  not  worry  too much.