Suggestions on an Anglo Concertina Upgrade

Sounds like it's worth saving my pennies and working on fundamentals for a few more months. I practice pretty much every day so hopefully I'll have more to show for it. Modifying the grip (I may shave the thumb rest a touch), to allow me to reach the air button was a key stumbling block with this one, At this point my playing and reading of music is still probably slower than any responsiveness issues the bonetti is presenting, except perhaps when playing Garry Owen. 

This plan is reinforced by the fates, as my car is in the shop with mystery trouble and may eat the ~$2K I may have saved up for such a venture. 

That said I've taken a lot of notes from all of these conversations and I deeply appreciate the patient generous info from folks who I'm sure have tread these questions and details countless times with newbies. 

I don't know anyone would argue with Bill's advice.  The "all over the map" comment is on target.  I was amazed at how differently the older boxes actually play. They often sound nice, but the playability depends awfully on the pads/valves/buttons/action setup, etc. etc. that is original/upgraded/cobbled. 

I’m probably not qualified to weigh in on this, but what the heck.  I started playing a couple of years ago on a Rochelle.  Shortly thereafter I bought a refurbished Lachenal 30 button.  Shortly after that I quit.  Less than a year ago I started up again, bought a used Edgley and am plugging away on it.  I’ve also briefly played a Carroll (sic?). So my perspective is limited.  I preferred the sound of the two with concertina reeds to the hybrid, but the playability of the Edgley is very much better than the Lachenal-for about the same $$$.   If it were me, I’d look for a used Edgley, Morse, Clover or Tedrow.  The sound - at least to me is not all that different and the ease of play is worth it.  Just my $.02

You might want to also think about getting a Wolverton since he also offers a lever vs air button. They run about $2000+ for the hybrid model, and although I got one with the conventional air button, I find I love playing the instrument and that should be the most important factor, right? In addition to looking absolutely beautiful, it plays wonderfully both loud and soft. And yes, it's about time I post a full review since I've had mine about 6 months and enjoy playing it constantly throughout the day.

Gary

I wanted to thank everyone again for all the helpful information to a newish player, and a new person to the larger world of concertinas.   

I had planned to save my pennies a bit longer, but a family member who has been super supportive of my learning an instrument gave me a birthday gift a bit early, towards a new one. 

My motivation was also enhanced by the realization that the low Bb on my Bonetti is just.... B after a frustrating attempt to learn Joe Bane's in F.  After sitting down with a tuner (something I should have done upon receiving it, but I was new and naive) I realized a few other low reeds are just.... the wrong reeds as well.   

So I took the gift money and my fun money savings and I bought a new Morse Ceili from Button Box. It should ship today. I'm setting up an area with a humidifier to make sure it stays nice in the dry northern winter, and I can't wait to play it. 

• Like 3