Jump to content
Jim Besser

Pelican Cases And Plumbing Nightmares

Recommended Posts

...and it perfectly stood the proof, left in what turned out to be a really heavy thundershower...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone looked/used the Nanuk 908?  Although only ½" larger, the casting is slightly different and they seem to have larger volume.  I have not seen the 908, but have seen the 940; the Nanuks do seem to have slighly higher interior volume than the similar Pelican models.  They are quite nice.  Very good design on the clasp.  They will send you a detailed drawing if you get interested...  Also, recommend Kaizen foam instead of the pick and pluck.  Better fit and lasts longer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting - if you're in need of the same dimensions heightwise as depthwise (which will be the case with an Aeola-shaped octagonal concertina) this could be an option. However, you'd be winning just this 1/2 cm,  nothing in the remaining two dimensions, but get nevertheless slightly larger exterior dimensions in any respect.

 

Best wishes - 🐺

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is probably a dead topic. I am thinking of selling my bulky, heavy hard cases and using a waterproof fishing tackle bag. The soft case is more protective in a fall from a table but it won't support a car if you have a need for a jack-stand. It is, however, waterproof. Definitely not cool, which is better since it won't be as tempting to a thief. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fishing-Tackle-Bag-Shoulder-Pack-Storage-Box-Waist-Large-Lure-Carry-Travel-Bags/292563139184?hash=item441e1f3a70:m:mYa1m-PrSuA5DmAS0nJ55XA:rk:98:pf:0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, David Levine said:

This is probably a dead topic. I am thinking of selling my bulky, heavy hard cases and using a waterproof fishing tackle bag. The soft case is more protective in a fall from a table but it won't support a car if you have a need for a jack-stand. It is, however, waterproof. Definitely not cool, which is better since it won't be as tempting to a thief. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fishing-Tackle-Bag-Shoulder-Pack-Storage-Box-Waist-Large-Lure-Carry-Travel-Bags/292563139184?hash=item441e1f3a70:m:mYa1m-PrSuA5DmAS0nJ55XA:rk:98:pf:0

I'd be cautious and do some research first.   It's not just a matter of keeping moisture out,  but letting it escape,  and /or  keeping just enough in to prevent drying out.  When you bring a sealed bag/box full of air outside, temperature and humidity will try to equalize.  Warm air will hold more moisture than cold and if there is a moisture barrier (plastic liner) it will become the dew point for condensation and may sweat.  You'll still have the same amount of H2O in the box but now it's water droplets or a wet film rubbing against your instrument.  I'm not an expert on this; it's complicated .  please comment.

Edited by wunks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree about the need for the case to breathe, which is one reason I am not very fond of the bulky, heavy Pelican case.  Waterproof isn't the same as air tight.  I have been using my fishing tackle bag (purchased at Aldi for about €8) for over twenty years now, with nary a problem. I have used it in rainy Co Clare, wet Seattle, frigid New Hampshire, and bone-dry Tucson. I can also carry my keys, wallet, cell phone, and other bits and bobs, which is very handy, especially while traveling on an airplane.

And it's large enough to carry my flute, in it's hard-case, which is a huge bonus for me.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, David Levine said:

I agree about the need for the case to breathe, which is one reason I am not very fond of the bulky, heavy Pelican case.  Waterproof isn't the same as air tight.  I have been using my fishing tackle bag (purchased at Aldi for about €8) for over twenty years now, with nary a problem. I have used it in rainy Co Clare, wet Seattle, frigid New Hampshire, and bone-dry Tucson. I can also carry my keys, wallet, cell phone, and other bits and bobs, which is very handy, especially while traveling on an airplane.

And it's large enough to carry my flute, in it's hard-case, which is a huge bonus for me.  

It works, so that's the proof.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I usually put something like an elastic sport headband (on eBay for about a buck) around the concertina. Or I put something inside the case to keep the bellows closed. But I have always thought that it isn't really necessary to keep the bellows tightly closed. I could easily put blocks into the case to keep the bellows closed but I never thought it necessary.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, David Levine said:

I could easily put blocks into the case to keep the bellows closed but I never thought it necessary. 

 

Some say it is. As I‘m unsure myself I fitted my ECs Cases with foam that‘s keeping the bellows closed (re my 20b Anglos I‘m not so concerned anyway as they‘re both rather basic instruments).

 

Best wishes - 🐺

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I carry mine in a 6-pack cooler shoulder bag. It looks a lot like the tackle box, but isn't as long, and is adequately waterproof. I put it in corner-point down, and cut two foam wedges to fit underneath to cradle it and boost it up slightly from the bag bottom. The pockets are handy for notepad, pencil, metronome, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the concertina has a tendency to open a bit when not compressed, what's the problem with that? I never close my bellows fully when I am playing. If compressing it make it easier to close, wouldn't that make it harder to draw? I am sure there are no peer review studies but surely someone must have first hand experience. I've only been playing for about 50 years (EC for ten and Anglo for 40) and haven't had any bellows problems to speak of that were caused by not compressing the bellows.

And not having the bellows compressed seems to me would make the concertina better able to withstand a blow to the ends since there is more give. That's why I fancy a well made canvas bag rather than a hard case. If you drop the bag more of the shock will be absorbed than if you were carrying the concertina in a hard case that had no give to it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You may very well have it right David, I‘m perfectly o.k. with your views. My own experience simply doesn’t include leaving the bellows alone as yet.

 

Best wishes - 🐺

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×