Everyone's A Critic---Even The Dog

Even though my teens sometimes roll their eyes when I practice the concertina, I never thought my faithful dog would mind. But lately when I start to play, he comes over and shoves his nose between my palm and the instrument, effectively interrupting my flow. He stops when I tell him to. Still. I do feel judged.

The concertina seems to have a strange effect on animals. My dog is none too keen either but my cat, on hearing the first notes will come running in, even from outside, and leap onto my knees purring in order to be as close as possible to the action. And I'm no great shakes as a player. Even CDs with concertina or accordion on them have the same effect. It shows no interest when I play the mandolin or guitar.

My basset hound either hates or loves the concertina, I've yet to work out which. As soon as I start to play, he'll put his head back and start howling, whether in protest or appreciation, who knows? Same with the fiddle. The banjo, however, he is either indifferent to or content with.

Ours discerns between accordeon reeds and concertina reeds; my wife's Rochelle and my Morse baritone, the dog will stay in the room quite happily.

But As soon as my brass-reeded Wheatstone treble is out she's up barking and exiting the room.

Thinks - have I found a good excuse to get a Morse Albion treble? :)

Ours discerns between accordeon reeds and concertina reeds; my wife's Rochelle and my Morse baritone, the dog will stay in the room quite happily.

But As soon as my brass-reeded Wheatstone treble is out she's up barking and exiting the room.

Thinks - have I found a good excuse to get a Morse Albion treble? :)

Call the Button Box today! Canine harmony is as good a reason as any.

The concertina seems to have a strange effect on animals. My dog is none too keen either but my cat, on hearing the first notes will come running in, even from outside, and leap onto my knees purring in order to be as close as possible to the action. And I'm no great shakes as a player. Even CDs with concertina or accordion on them have the same effect. It shows no interest when I play the mandolin or guitar.

We used to have a cat that would come meowing into the room where i was blowing my pipes or practice chanter. I was never sure whether she was coming to protest or to sing along.

We used to have a cat that would come meowing into the room where i was blowing my pipes or practice chanter. I was never sure whether she was coming to protest or to sing along.

So, what does the cat think of the concertina?

So, what does the cat think of the concertina?

Unfortunately, we no longer have that cat. Our current older cat does not like the concertina or bagpipes. We have two 6 month old kittens who are not bothered by the concertina, but don't seek it out.