Great Iranian/scottish Player

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps one's perception of what is music is personal ?

Indeed. Seems I liked his playing better than some of you, though I also liked some parts less than others. I thought it got rather repetitious toward the end, while I do believe he was playing a tune at the beginning. As I once said to Stuart, I think he's done an excellent job of getting the result he wants, even if it doesn't "speak to" me. And for what it's worth, his technique and style remind me of some of Simon Thoumire's playing, though Simon plays an English and Mohsen is playing an anglo. I wonder if they know each other.

But I do have criticisms regarding the "Young Traditional Musician" competition itself. I would hardly consider Mohsen's arrangement, style, and tunes(?) "traditional". I also wondered why Mohsen alone was named as the winner, when he was clearly playing with a band. Well, that was clarified when I sampled the YouTube videos of some of the other finalists. They were all playing with the same backup "band"! The Celtic harp and even the piano accordion were joined by those same bodhran, guitar, and grand piano... always playing essentially the same style. Is that the BBC's "traditional orchestra"? Leaves me wondering whether contestants were disqualified if they objected to that arrangement. :unsure:

Edited by JimLucas

Simon Thoumire was what (who) immediately sprang to my mind too, Jim.

However, Simon is balancing his rapid style with highly witty and inventive elements and modulations which simply puts him in a league by himself.

With that said I too find parts of this player's playing more to my liking and parts less, as you've said.

Best wishes - Wolf

As an example of the way I think it should be done take a look at this video:

I'm no good a linking things so go to Youtube and search " Old master Padraic Keane with new guns" . This is the live TV broadcast of the winner of TG4's young musician of the year award 2011.

Padraic is the grandson of our old friend(and concertina player) Tommy McCarthy and son of Jacqueline McCarthy and Tommy Keane.

I am also involved as I made the instrument that Padraic plays in the first part of the video.

The BBC are good at period dramas, perhaps they should stick to that!

I'm no good a linking things so go to Youtube and search " Old master Padraic Keane with new guns" . This is the live TV broadcast of the winner of TG4's young musician of the year award 2011... in Ireland.

Padraic is the grandson of our old friend(and concertina player) Tommy McCarthy and son of Jacqueline McCarthy and Tommy Keane.

I am also involved as I made the instrument that Padraic plays in the first part of the video.

The BBC are good at period dramas, perhaps they should stick to that!

I should add that the other players on the video are mum,dad and Padraic's sisters. in fact all of Tommy McCarthy's children play and are married to musicians and all the grandchildren are players too. What a fine tribute to a great musician.

Edited by Geoff Wooff

I'm no good a linking things so go to Youtube and search " Old master Padraic Keane with new guns" . This is the live TV broadcast of the winner of TG4's young musician of the year award 2011.

Now THAT's lovely traditional playing - played with plenty of ornamentation but it's totally appropriate to the instrument and doesn't get in the way of the tune, in fact it lets it "sing out"... :)

Now THAT's lovely traditional playing - played with plenty of ornamentation but it's totally appropriate to the instrument and doesn't get in the way of the tune, in fact it lets it "sing out"... :)

Perhaps this emphasises the difference between Culture and Mass Enteratinment....

Edited by Geoff Wooff

Old master Padraic Keane with new gun

Agreed, though it's not particularly Scottish.

Did manage to sneak in a concertina, though. ;)

Agreed, though it's not particularly Scottish.

No, it's not Scottish music, though (from my experience anyway) there's an awful lot of Irish music played at sessions in Scotland. But I'm not aware of there being any tradition of playing the Anglo concertina in Scottish traditional music either - at least, all the old players that I'm aware of played English concertina.

In fact the English concertina is probably more traditional in Irish music than the Anglo is in Scottish...

Did manage to sneak in a concertina, though. ;)

That's Ken Loveless' old semi-miniature 24-key Wheatstone that he got made to take to sea with him in the Royal Navy - yes, a real sailor's concertina! ;)

It's one that I've tuned/serviced a good few times, especially for the ballet...