Inset Bellows

Would it not naturally occur when fitting the hinge of the first folds to the wooden frames that there is a drop, or height gap to stop the inside of the card pressing or chaffing on the wood or straining the leather hinge ? After all the last card is generally chamfered and relieved at the corners so as not to impede the opening and closing action.

It does look neater and stops the top runs rubbing on any surface the concertina is placed on, including the cloth of one's trousers, or dress if played with the instrument on your leg.

Edited by Geoff Wooff

I have made equal amount, 5 inset and 5 flush, simply by mistake (I cut 10 lots of bellows cards to length and then not thinking reduced the concertina frame to 6", too lazy to recut the bellows cards (I did not discover my mistake until I had begun making one of the bellows) I fitted one, seemed fine so now have 5 flush bellows. No noticeable difference in performance, but the bellows are not as protected when the instrument is put down.

David

Thanks. I think I'll inset the ones I'm making now because I prefer how it looks. Good to know that they would still work OK without it though.

Geoff: I think I see what you mean, the inset makes it easier to ensure the hinge can't foul on the corner of the frame.

Thanks. I think I'll inset the ones I'm making now because I prefer how it looks. Good to know that they would still work OK without it though.

Geoff: I think I see what you mean, the inset makes it easier to ensure the hinge can't foul on the corner of the frame.

Yes I think that is what I mean. There is quite a bit going on at the frame corners and the traditional design appears to allow space for the parts to fold in without interferance .

Good luck with the bellows making.

Edited by Geoff Wooff

I was told that it is so that the bellows themselves don't touch the table when the instrument is put down thus reducing wear (as well as being a visual thing). Different makers seem to do it to different degrees from what I see, Marcus music bellows are not that inset and still look pretty good imo