Elise Hayden Duet

voyager

If no one replies with something local, you might consider buying from the Buttonbox in the USA - Their website shows one in stock. I know there would be the exchange rate & shipping & taxes & duty to pay, but from what I've seen from prices on the comparable Rochelle anglo and Jackie model in the UK, your total would likely be no different than a new instrument from a UK dealer - after all they have to pay those same things to bring them into the UK.

Of course importing it yourself means no chance to try it out before you buy!

Good luck!

Try contacting the UK retailers and ask them to order one for you, or you might get one from one of the dealers in the EU which will be free of import duty and delivery charges will be less than from the USA.

Hi voyager,

I had an Elise from the Button Box and I found it to be an excellent beginner concertina. In fact, Judy Hawkins from that establishment posted a number of beginner Hayden tutorials in 2013 on this site under Teaching and Learning which I found very helpful. I did sell mine on because of arthritis problems, not because of the Eiise. I'm now squeezing on a 22 button anglo thanks to Greg Jowaisas.

It might be worth it to email the Button Box - at www.buttonbox.com - to see what the details on ordering from them might be. They're very friendly and helpful.

The manufacturer, also in the U.S., is www.concertinaconnection.com for similar details, or maybe a lead on someone who stocks the Elise in the U.K.

Good luck,

Frank

Edit: Just saw Geoff's post. That may be quicker and less expensive, so you might try that first.

Edited by Frank Dudgeon

https://youtu.be/djQCJqOSA-U

Have a look at this - simple but effective I think and it's played in Kabul!!!

Glad to see my video still helpful. Dang that was a kickin' beard, I kind of miss it except for the fact that it prevented me from eating soup or sandwiches.

I'm overall quite pleased with the Elise, with the caveat that unlike most Duets it's a "folk" box in that it only plays in C, G, and D (and their relative modes, and can fudge A or F). For a Duettist with more classical or "handheld piano" aspirations it's too limited, but for folk music or accompanying vocals in those limited keys it's an excellent buy. If you need full chromatics, contact Chris Algar and find a vintage Lachenal Maccan Duet for maybe £700 or so and be happy. But otherwise it's a great option and the Morse Beaumont (which I have being babysat back in the U.S.) or the CC Peacock are solid Hayden system upgrades down the road.

I've enjoyed my vintage Lachenal Crane-system Duet, but once I started gigging more with other musicians for indie rock stuff I really appreciated the easy transposition of the Hayden layout. The Maccann is arguably a better system for a pro musician who has the time and focus to burn its more complex array into the brain, and great quality vintage Maccanns are cheaper and easier than a new top-end Hayden, but I'm still fond of that system and overall expect that in the half-century I might still live on it will become the dominant Duet system.

I should have mentioned that The Music Room in Cleckheaton also carries the Concertina Connection line. They just don't currently list an Elise in stock. (perhaps you already checked?)

They do show a Jackie however, so you could take a look at the construction, and feel of the instrument, and I imagine they could order an Elise for you.

www.themusicroomonline.co.uk

Not really that far, I went there a number of times when I lived in Whitefield, just a stone's throw from you. The Cleckheaton market is held in the carpark just outside the shop doors too, on a Saturday morning. Then you're all set up for a leisurely afternoon on the moors if you decide to forsake the motorway.

Edited by Tradewinds Ted

Thanks to all for replies and advice, I have locate one near where I live, after looking everywhere else.

So many thanks to all, will keep U all updated on my latest challenge

Regards Dave

Well done Dave. Lots of luck with your new venture! Yes - do let us all know how you get on.