Looking For A Decent 30 Button Anglo "starter" Concertina

Bluejacket

Hello all,

I'm out of Wisconsin and am looking for a decent used (or new) 30 button Anglo Concertina to serve as my own Starter instrument. I've looked at several websites, and read similar forum posts so I already know about the most common piece of advice- "buy the best you can afford". Well the best I can afford is whatever I can get at $250. I've set myself at a $250 limit simply because that's as much as I can really spend at this point. The reason why I'm not simply waiting a month is because I'll be leaving within the next couple months to travelling for the entire summer and would rather be able to take it with me and start learning to play as opposed to waiting until I got home in the fall.

I've looked on Ebay and several websites and what I've seen is the "cheap Chinese" Bonneti goes for about $200 new, but then there is almost nothing between that and the next price range of about $400. I'm not really an elitist or someone who would scoff at this brand, and I'm also aware that many brands of concertina's are made in China. It's just that I haven't been able to find any recent reviews on it and so I have no idea about the longevity of the instrument or if the production quality has potentially dropped off since 2012.

Figured I'd try here first and see if I can't maybe get a gently used, but better quality, instrument before dropping the money on a brand new (but of questionable craftsmanship) Bonneti.

Anyone want to sell to an eager beginner?

ds9-profitandloss18.jpg

Pretty Please?

I'd put in a "second" on looking for a Rochelle. When I was starting out, these didn't exist, but I wish they had! They're good starter instruments that play well enough to make playing fun. I play a duet now, and encourage my students to use the Concertina Connection Elise. Concertina Connection also has a trade-in policy, where you can get credit for your introductory instrument if you decide to move up to a nicer model later on.

You might also check out the 30 button Gremlin being advertised in the Buy & Sell forum. It's currently at 102 Pounds with 3 days to go. You'd have to add $60-70 to the price for postage.

...I'll be leaving within the next couple months to travelling for the entire summer and would rather be able to take it with me and start learning to play as opposed to waiting until I got home in the fall.

Where will you be travelling? The Button Box rents instruments, and a part of the rental payments can be applied to subsequent purchase. You'll have to ask them, of course, but if your locations aren't dangerous and your insurance is good, might they agree to renting you one for your travels? Then you could afford something better right now and postpone actual purchase until after you've saved some more and are sure it's "right" for you.

...I'll be leaving within the next couple months to travelling for the entire summer and would rather be able to take it with me and start learning to play as opposed to waiting until I got home in the fall.

Where will you be travelling? The Button Box rents instruments, and a part of the rental payments can be applied to subsequent purchase. You'll have to ask them, of course, but if your locations aren't dangerous and your insurance is good, might they agree to renting you one for your travels? Then you could afford something better right now and postpone actual purchase until after you've saved some more and are sure it's "right" for you.

I'm heading to Russia... I'm not sure where that qualifies on the list. lol

Edited by Bluejacket

Here's another probable Bastari/Stagi that's now on eBay in the US: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Concertina-Accordion-30-Button-Natural-Finish-Vintage-made-in-Italy-/161729992603 .

You might also check out the 30 button Gremlin being advertised in the Buy & Sell forum. It's currently at 102 Pounds with 3 days to go. You'd have to add $60-70 to the price for postage.

Here's another probable Bastari/Stagi that's now on eBay in the US: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Concertina-Accordion-30-Button-Natural-Finish-Vintage-made-in-Italy-/161729992603 .

Thanks, I'm a little hesitant to actually bid on this one though... primarily because it's described as an "inherited" item and there aren't any decent pictures of the bellows not to mention the seller describes the item as possessing no "visible defects", presumably meaning the seller hasn't played it. I've been burned before on Melodeon purchases that were similar...

not to mention the seller describes the item as possessing no "visible defects", presumably meaning the seller hasn't played it. I've been burned before on Melodeon purchases that were similar...

I've been there too with receiving really horrible melodeons from eBay sellers, but purchasing my one and only (English) concertina from a private seller on eBay has had a very lucky outcome, despite the age of the instrument...

As to the Stagi/Bastari/Hohner Anglo mentioned above I wouldn't be that pessimistic either. The material is not that old, and from the first picture the bellows are loooking both played and sound. I maybe wouldn't hesitate to place a moderate bid (even up to around 100 $ perhaps?), since the model is usally known as preferable to other Stagi specimen. However, that would unavaidably be sort of gambling once again...

Best wishes - Wolf

not to mention the seller describes the item as possessing no "visible defects", presumably meaning the seller hasn't played it. I've been burned before on Melodeon purchases that were similar...

I've been there too with receiving really horrible melodeons from eBay sellers, but purchasing my one and only (English) concertina from a private seller on eBay has had a very lucky outcome, despite the age of the instrument...

As to the Stagi/Bastari/Hohner Anglo mentioned above I wouldn't be that pessimistic either. The material is not that old, and from the first picture the bellows are loooking both played and sound. I maybe wouldn't hesitate to place a moderate bid (even up to around 100 $ perhaps?), since the model is usally known as preferable to other Stagi specimen. However, that would unavaidably be sort of gambling once again...

Best wishes - Wolf

Looks like he relisted it for $350.

...and call Greg Jowaisas, a member on these forums. He always has a good inventory of all sorts of instruments, usually any number of "beginner", is always very fair when you want to trade-up, --and does astonishing repairs and rebuilds. He is mid-USA, down across the river from Cincinnati--into Kentucky. I think, an 8-9 hour drive from WI. I am here in SE Wi also, but play English concertina. No one to "play" with.....

• 4 weeks later...