Swallow Concertina

Hi, I am considering buying a Swallow concertina from www.irishmusik.com but can't find very much information on what people think of it.

All I have found so far is a short UTube video.

I have a Wren concertina at the moment which is ok but suffers from sticky buttons now and then.

Does anybody have opinions on sound, playability for the Swallow.

They have been for sale for a couple of years so there must be someone out there who has one :).

Thanks

Pat

Can't judge on that one, however I found the following a bit odd:

It comes with 6 fold leather bellows – one more bellow allows more air through to the reeds meaning the slighest movement creates sound. A better, faster response.

One more fold will allow for some extra time playing in one direction, but adding folds will rather diminish than increase the response IMO...

(anyways, a six-fold bellows will be perfectly ok)

Looking at other items on the same site, I would say that it is a badly writen website - probably written by someone who half understood what he was being asked to write. Certainly the explanation of the benefits of 6 fold bellows is misleading. However, the important thing is whether the instrument itself is any good. I imagine it will be about as good as its price suggests: better then a Wren or Rochelle (etc.) but probably not as good as something like a Marcus which would cost almost twice as much.

I would say try before you buy, and don't be dazzled by "low price" because saving money on an instrument can be a false economy. You need an instrument that makes you reluctant to put it down.

Thanks all for your comments. I will certainly try before I buy. In the present circumstances it will be difficult enough to get the money together for the Swallow so the Mayfair isn't an option right now.

Mikefule hits the nail on the head. Buy the best Concertina you can't quite afford. That way you will have fewer regrets. I spent twenty years trying to play a Duet that had been tuned to New pitch on one end and Old pitch on the other, but it was only £17.

I'm sure the Swallow is OK, but given the price it's hard to believe it could be quite as good as some of the other slightly more expensive hybrids.

Given that it sounds like you don't have the cash yet, if I were you I would keep a look out for a second-hand hybrid from Marcus, AC Norman or Morse. You might be able to get a considerably better concertina for not much more money.