Linota Font

KERN. This is an expression which is relevant to the old traditional letterpress printing process in which type was composed from individually cast metal characters. Each character had a solid rectangular base which provided support and protection for its printing surface from the pressure applied by the inking rollers and the printing press. The kern is any part of a letter which overhangs its alloted rectangular base or shank and is therefore dependent upon a neighbouring character to provide support for the otherwise vulnerable kern. Few Roman letters other than 'f' ever need kerns but several italic letters have them and italic 'f' usually has two. With the introduction of film setting and other modern typesetting techniques I guess that 'kern' is a word that is seldom now used.

With the introduction of film setting and other modern typesetting techniques I guess that 'kern' is a word that is seldom now used.

On the contrary, "kerning" is still used to denote the horizontal spacing between characters, as is "leading", which refers to the spacing between lines. Both derive from the days of cast metal typesetting. The trouble is that fewer and fewer people now understand the craft of making type look beautiful.

I agree David. The introduction of film setting opened up all sorts of exciting opportunities for young typographers and graphic designers but it would be a shame if it were to have all been at the expense of the good old classical typography that I, and I suspect you, love. ( What has all this got to do with Concertinas !) .

I've trawled through hundreds of late Victorian/Edwardian typefaces and come up with nothing, I'm afraid - not even a near match. Incidentally, when did a "typeface" become a "font"? A "font" is a complete set of type for a specific design of lettering; the actual design of the lettering is called a typeface. Sorry to be a pedant...........

There are people who are font tragics and I would be surprised if they do not have forums like this one. They might be pleased to be asked for advice.

An example of how kerning is important; if you look at the gaps between these two sets of letters, TA TM, you will see ( if it displays in the same font as it does for me) that the computer sets the A closer to the T than it sets the M. The T and A are actually overlapping. I can't set them the same distance apart without going to a drawing program and dragging them, and I don't have time right now but if I did, the spacing of T and A would look awkward to you once your attention had been drawn to it.

If you now look at the T and A in Linota you will see the "roof" on the A would make it difficult to set them close together because the top of the T and the top of the A would unify even if only close rather than touching, and this would make them hard to read.

Having said all of this I suspect the letters in the label have been arranged as one might see them on an old building, I mean something from Greek or Roman times, where letters are often set apart, maybe to give them a sense of having the same stature as the building.

Incidentally, when did a "typeface" become a "font"? A "font" is a complete set of type for a specific design of lettering; the actual design of the lettering is called a typeface. Sorry to be a pedant...........

I think Jef Raskin probably takes the credit/blame for that one. The Apple Macintosh started out as his idea; digital fonts and WYSIWYG were part of his vision for the system.