The Joy Of Equal Temperament Thirds

Hi Jody glad to hear the snow did,nt get you. Very interesting playing not sure what double octave means , is it * thirds one octave apart" ? .I have just tried playing the White Rose with thirds as accompaniment.in C . Anything else I can try? All The Best Bob

Edited by KelTekgolow

Hi Jody glad to hear the snow did,nt get you. Very interesting playing not sure what double octave means, is it * thirds one octave apart"? I have just tried playing the White Rose with thirds as accompaniment.in C. Anything else I can try? All The Best Bob

I read your post in Forum Questions and thought I'd give it a go. I just removed all but one space between the sentences.

[Edit] That seems to have worked. I wonder what happens on your end?[/Edit]

Edited by JimR

Hi Jody glad to hear the snow did,nt get you. Very interesting playing not sure what double octave means , is it * thirds one octave apart" ? .I have just tried playing the White Rose with thirds as accompaniment.in C . Anything else I can try? All The Best Bob

So just how does this work with spaces?

Let me try again and find out.

Now added: I've encountered some weird and seemingly inconsistent behavior of the editor, but I hadn't yet chanced to trigger this one. My experience until now is that the editor did the standard HTML thing of compressing multiple spaces down to a single space. In fact, in my above line "So just how does this work with spaces?", it did just that. I had put 2, 3, or four spaces separating some of the words, but the editor compressed out the "extras". But on the next line, taking a clue from KelTokgolow's problem, I put in many more spaces. I haven't bothered to count them, but you can see that they've been retained. Would somebody like to experiment to discover how many spaces are needed to disable the compression?

I find it difficult to believe that this is a deliberate feature. How does one report such bizarre behaviors as bugs to Invision?

Edited by JimLucas

Jody,

Here in Germany, the past is still with us! Last year, I attended the annual barrel-organ festival in Linz on the Rhine. A quaint, old town, with a barrel-organ at every corner, and some half-way down the street as well, for a whole weekend. I'm sure you'd like it!

I got a real shot of nostalgia when I heard one of them doing a beautiful rendering of "Silver Threads among the Gold" - a tune that my parents loved when I was small, but that I hadn't heard since. I must work it up on the concertina ...

Cheers,

John

Jody,

Try here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EggJ8U2M74

The couple singing to their organ at 2:57 into the video are good friends of ours, who have been in the barrel-organ scene since they retired. It was they who made us aware of the event. They played the usual Mendelssohn and Wagner bridal marches at our daughter's civil wedding.

For more info, google "drehorgelfest linz"

Cheers,

John

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know whether it's the ET thirds that do it, but the recording is very reminiscent of a barrel-organ. Except that a barrel-organ doesn't gasp audibly for air every few beats ... ;)

Cheers,

John

I think the fact that it hasn't been tuned since 1926 might have something to do with it. Most modern chromatic concertinas are in ET and don't sound like that.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Bob, I don't know White Rose, but I know that parallel thirds are a great way to harmonize a tune... almost any tune. I pick and choose the bits that work the best for this treatment and almost always prefer when these thirds are high, up next to the melody rather than low in the accompaniment.