Reed Cleaning

Using a Fibreglass pen is probably favourite as it doesn't damage the reeds or knock them out of tune particularly. I think these pens were designed for cleaning up electrical contacts. Broken fibres from the pen can be a bit unpleasant though.

Pete

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

If you happen to be near a Maplins shop, they stock them too but give Old Nick a try first.

Do be careful with the 'dust'. The tiny little bits of glass fibre are unpleasant enough to the skin when you have wiped the bench clear with the side of your hand so The Lord only knows what they would do in the lungs.

I simply use use a new damp tissue to wipe up the dust at regular intervals and bin the used one immediately.

Please don't try sounding the reed with your mouth.

In the context of this post, I'm thinking of the dust, but there are other reasons too such as condensation forming on the steel reeds and leading to corrosion and the distinct possibility of inadvertantly releasing the reed and choking to death in C# :(

Be lucky

Dave

There is a veron of the scratch brush that has fine brass 'bristles' rather than fibre glass filament. So far I have failed to get hold of one, but its worth asking around.

Latex gloves save a lot of 'scratching' later

Do support the reed tongue at all times, and ensure that the reed edges are nice and clean, as also the vent slot in the reed frame.

Oh, and don't mess about with the reed clamp!

Dave

• 3 weeks later...
Using a Fibreglass pen is probably favourite as it doesn't damage the reeds or knock them out of tune particularly

But it does remove some metal from brass reeds and in fact works very nicely as a fine tuning tool for brass reeds. The amount of metal removed is very small and controlable, and it leaves a very smooth surface finish. Has anyone else tried this?

Theo