Mccann To Anglo Conversion

SteveS

Start off with a Mini and end up with a Rolls Royce , just a bit of cut and shut to be done.? Usually , as in this case, the results come the other way around... or end in a 'nothing'.

It is tempting, I know, as I have a couple of old concertinas that just might donate the parts for a new project... but to pull it off and do a fine job is one thing and to ruin another potentially wonderfull instrument because one has too many of those or given up trying to learn it.. is all quite another.... :o

Rather a bizarre conversion to what is basically four 1-row Anglos!

Harold Herrington's first Anglo concertina was in the keys of A-D-G, since he modeled it after the keys of the button accordion played by one of his bandmates in the Irish Rogues. I had the honor of breaking the news to him that those were not the standard Anglo keys! He only built the one in that style, and we got to see it and play at the Old Palestine Concertina Weekend in 2012.

That converted Maccann would be a real trick to learn to play, especially for anyone who plays more than one row at a time!

Gary

Interesting conversion of a McCann to Anglo on eBay.

Interesting papers.

Seems a shame to have left an entire column of buttons unused, though. He could have added random extra notes where buttons are now missing, like the big Jeffries anglos. Or if sticking to a principle of one 5-wide row = 1 key, starting with a Crane would have allowed a fifth key for the same original number of buttons (55)... even a sixth key in the RH only.

But no, I'm not currently planning that as a project. :ph34r:

That converted Maccann would be a real trick to learn to play, especially for anyone who plays more than one row at a time!

Actually, I think it's two 2-row anglos... a C/G and a D/A. And so maybe not so difficult for someone used to playing a standard 2-row, except for added possibilities.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, I think it's two 2-row anglos... a C/G and a D/A. And so maybe not so difficult for someone used to playing a standard 2-row, except for added possibilities.

Or you could look at it as three 2-row Anglos: C/G, G/D and D/A!

Cheers,

John