Pirates At The Ne Squeeze-in?

Have you mastered the art Jim of continuous breathing (playing) with your didgeridoo? Something I have always marvelled at.I think there is a jazz saxophonist who can do this.How one can get enough strength from the cheek muscles to keep a continuous sound going amazes me.A friend of mine used to practice for hours blowing a straw in water to try to achieve this technique.

He drowned unfortunately, he breathed in when he should have breathed out! :lol:

( only joking).

Al

Have you mastered the art Jim of continuous breathing (playing) with your didgeridoo?

"Mastered"? No. But I have reached the point where I can see that it's possible, and that with more practice I (and therefor, just about anybody :)) could learn to do it consistently, as opposed to my current erratically.

I think there is a jazz saxophonist who can do this.

I've heard of both saxophonists and trumpet players who do it. I think that the number of such individuals is increasing as folks discover that it's just a technique, not some superhuman inborn talent.

A friend of mine used to practice for hours blowing a straw in water to try to achieve this technique.

I find it much easier with the didj than with a straw (or sax or trumpet). I'm not sure why, since I would have expected the opposite.

Have you mastered the art Jim of continuous breathing (playing) with your didgeridoo? Something I have always marvelled at.I think there is a jazz saxophonist who can do this.How one can get enough strength from the cheek muscles to keep a continuous sound going amazes me.A friend of mine used to practice for hours blowing a straw in water to try to achieve this technique.

But will it defeat the breathalyser??? :o

I have been accused of using "circular breathing" when singing. When I sing "Little piecer", which is about a young cotton-mill worker waking up in the morning, I extend the last note to suggest the factory siren wailing. Over the years it has lengthened until when I last checked it was about 24 seconds!

Robin Madge

Now for playing a recorder or whistle I can understand David,but playing a saxophone or a trumpet which I had never heard of, is mind blowing,being able to force enough air out of your mouth with blown up cheek muscles, at the same time taking air in through your nose and keeping the sound even.I just cannot imagine how they achieve it.

It is rather like those people who can hum one tune whilst whistling another.

Al

Hi folks:

Utilization of circular breathing is a very viable way to play a wind (woodwind, anyway) instrument.

I experimented with it in my saxophone playing days and though the concept and practice are hard to grasp, it is possible.

Once I got the hang of it it seemed miraculous just to be able to it.

It felt like some sort of previously unknown pipe or passage opening up within my throat, head, whatever, to reveal itself and reward me for my efforts.

I never used it in performance nor did I continue much with it after I discoverd it, but I was sure that it would be something to add to my playing if the need arose.

As a matter of fact, the great multi-instrumentalist jazz musician, Rahsaan Roland Kirk, utilized circular breathing (I'm pretty sure). He was well known and widely photographed for playing 2 or 3 horns at one time with cheecks puffed out !!!!!

An amazing musician to say the least.

A couple of appropriate quotes from a Rahsaan Roland Kirk website.

"His head should've just blown off his body with all the stuff he held up there"

Dorthaan Kirk

------------------------------------------------------------------------

"He was so heavy, he'd split his brain in two. He could play one melody with his right hand and another with his left"

Dick Griffin

(Has anyone had any luck doing this with a concertina?. Is this what a Duet was intended for?)

Here is the Rahsaan at work (I hope)................

Wonder if Roland heard the shanty "Blow Boys, Blow" once too often as a youngster!

Have fun.

Perry Werner

post-4-1094653980.jpg

Edited by Perry Werner

Now for playing a recorder or whistle I can understand David,but playing a saxophone or a trumpet which I had never heard of, is mind blowing,being able to force enough air out of your mouth with blown up cheek muscles, at the same time taking air in through your nose and keeping the sound even.

Actually, it's the other way around. More difficult on recorder because the air moves out of your mouth faster, against lesser resistance. With a saxophone, the air in your cheeks takes longer to be blown through the instrument giving you more time to inhale.

So, back to concertinas: anybody figured out a way to use the bellows in a circular fashion? Keep a note going indefinitely?

So, back to concertinas: anybody figured out a way to use the bellows in a circular fashion? Keep a note going indefinitely?

Yes, a man called Charles Wheatstone did it in 1844 !

(I can't vouch for how well it works, but he patented a valve arrangement that allowed the same reed to be played in either direction of the bellows.)

Otherwise, the harmoniflute (lap-organ) does it by means of a reciprocating bellows, so it is possible.

. . . the Northeast Squeeze-In will coincide this year with Talk Like a Pirate Day, Sept. 19. . . . There's got to be a way to honor the dual dates in an appropriate fashion. Any ideas?

It seems that simply playing the concertina might be considered enough in itself (the ultimate even ?), judging by the Fan Mail for International Talk Like a Pirate Day:

My daughter Lisa Munger is a grad. student currently on a scientific expedition in the Arctic Sea onboard the U. S. Coastguard Healy. And of course being at sea, all the scientists and crew dressed up like pirates, sang songs about rum and wore eyepatches, one guy even played the concertina. They have a website with a daily log , Dispatch # 10 is the one about TLAP day. ... Arrrrr, as fer me--I live in landlocked Boulder and didn't know about the date till the day after, which happens to be my mother's birthday, so next year I will be ready. ARRRRRRRRevoir -- June Munger