Anglo and English

Hi All,

I am fairly new to concertina's

I am learning the Anglo with the help of Jody ( He is really good and a great help !! )

I have been looking on the web and reading this forum

I just wondered if anyone plays Anglo and English ?

I have never read anyone commenting on doing so

Is it a totally mad idea ?

regards

Karl

Hopefully very shortly I will be playing both; although one of the will not be a "playing with others" instrument.

Greg Jowaisas is restoring an instrument from the mid-1850s for me that appears to be in original high pitch meantone tuning, and keeping it in that tuning. I want to play with 14 notes per octave, and fancy an instrument that was originally in that tuning over a newer one that was placed into it.

This also keeps my streak of "well, sure, you can have a go, but I don't think it plays the way you're used to" concertinas...

I just wondered if anyone plays Anglo and English ?

While far from a majority, I know that several folks do. Some have already been mentioned here.

I'm pretty sure there have been previous threads about the subject, and maybe even a poll or two. Maybe a search using Google would turn them up? (I've pretty well given up on the local search facility, but Google has access to the concertina.net content.)

I myself play mostly English, but also some anglo and Crane duet (even occasionally in performance). Years ago I dabbled a bit with the Maccann duet, and I'm hoping to have a chance later this year to make a serious return to that, as well as working on the Jeffries duet.

Is it a totally mad idea ?

Probably, but madness is fun!
:D

Karl,

I've played English, Anglo and Jeffries Duet for many years. The differences between English and Anglo are so great that there is no problem whatsoever switching between the two. They're both best at different things and different types of music. The Jeffries Duet is a different critter altogether, way too much like an Anglo, so one shouldn't even think of trying to play the same tune on both!

Gary

Greg Jowaisas is restoring an instrument from the mid-1850s for me that appears to be in original high pitch meantone tuning, and keeping it in that tuning. I want to play with 14 notes per octave, and fancy an instrument that was originally in that tuning over a newer one that was placed into it.

Dave,

You've lost me. You're not talking about a microtonal system of 14 evenly spaced notes per octave, are you? If so, was there really an instrument from the mid 1850's in that tuning? It boggles the mind.

Could you expound and expand on this? I'm a big fan of microtonalism, but I haven't run across qnyone using 14. 15 and 19 per octave are in use - but it's an acquired taste.

I knew Ivor Darreg when he lived nearby and visited his home, where he had a mad collection of perfectly tuned pipes, bells, and fretted stringed instruments in different microtonal systems.

Ken

Dave,

You've lost me. You're not talking about a microtonal system of 14 evenly spaced notes per octave, are you? If so, was there really an instrument from the mid 1850's in that tuning? It boggles the mind.

Could you expound and expand on this? I'm a big fan of microtonalism, but I haven't run across qnyone using 14. 15 and 19 per octave are in use - but it's an acquired taste.

I knew Ivor Darreg when he lived nearby and visited his home, where he had a mad collection of perfectly tuned pipes, bells, and fretted stringed instruments in different microtonal systems.

Ken

No, not 14 evenly spaced notes per octave. A meantone system in which D# and Eb are not the same note. This is possible since the English Concertina actually has different buttons for D# and Eb.

I think the most knowledgeable person on Concertina.net on the subject of non-equally tempered Concertinas is Paul Groff.

--Dave

The Jeffries Duet is a different critter altogether, way too much like an Anglo, so one shouldn't even think of trying to play the same tune on both!

Actually, I'm planning to do just that (the "try" part, at least), once I get my Jeffries duet back from Theo. :ph34r: :D