Concertinas In Morris Music

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I play anglo concertina for woodchurch morris and so far this season I have only seen one other player at the hartley ale. At the end of a stand the arms start to get a bit painfull with a melodian the straps take all of the weight . but I will not change!

Say, John,

Are there lessons for playing the crowbar?

Helen

Apparently, the player went through the hardware shop trying out a row of crowbars until he found one that sounded the 'right' note.

the hook end of the crowbar is hung over the wrist/forearm, and it is struck by a small toffee hammer. It sounds something like a clock chime, or a blacksmith & anvil.

Regards,

John

Are there lessons for playing the crowbar?
Apparently, the player went through the hardware shop trying out a row of crowbars until he found one that sounded the 'right' note.

There's a tune known as "The Floating Crowbar". Can he play that? :)

I've just begun playing for the Harrisville Morris Women in Harrisville, New Hampshire. I've not tried using the Jeffries yet; it's heavier than the Marcus and I'll need to strengthen my arms!

I bottled out on using my Jeffries - 45 buttons is just too heavy. So I got a Morse specifically for playing for the morris because they are the nearest thing to a weightless concertina I've yet found. (They're also pretty good in very noisy sessions - such as when I found myself directly in the line of fire of two saxes and a trombone in the Radway a fortnight ago - you hold them under your chin and listen hard).

Chris

It's difficult to get a picture of the usage of concertinas in morris across any geography but it does seem that there is anecdotal evidence everywhere and yet some people have seen few instruments.

Just to add to all this, I was the only concertina player in the jig competition at Sidmouth all the others opting for melodeon, fiddle, pipe and tabour, piano accordion and I think one chromatic button accordion.

Chris, the saxes and trombone must have been those nice people from the Old Swan Band. Such a good band and yet no free reeds at all (except when Martin doubles on mouth organ).

The Nutters had their concertina band with them at Sidmouth but they feel a bit redundant when the brass band is also there.

Howard Mitchell

Chris, the saxes and trombone must have been those nice people from the Old Swan Band.  Such a good band and yet no free reeds at all (except when Martin doubles on mouth organ).

Actually it was mostly Committee Band people (a band with a large helping of free-reeds, including Martin Nail on anglo). Yes, I know Old Swan have no concertinas, but their fiddlers are so good you could forgive them anything. Their new CD is a complete stunner. (End of digression).

Chris

There's a tune known as "The Floating Crowbar".  Can he play that?  :)

NO. He tried the whole shop but only bought one! B)

As a sideline comment, Essex concertina player Sarah Graves sometimes plays in a band called Floating Crowbar, but i do not think they use one.

Regards,

John

I  play both anglo and melodeon for the Toronto Morris Men  ( we just had a splendid tour of England this July) 

We need a method of spotting fellow concertina.net chums. I came and watched Toronto when they danced at the Red Lion, coleshill as part of the Greensleeves Weekend, would have been great to have made the connection.

We need a method of spotting fellow concertina.net chums

Perhaps we need a "contacts" forum, specifically for people to put the "who's going to XYZ" and "I'm moving to ABC" postings, and also to make the resulting arrangememts. The existence of a separate forum might cause people to use it as a matter of habit, and thus make more personal connections.

Chris

Edit: I've copied this to the suggestions forum

Edited by Chris Timson

We need a method of spotting fellow concertina.net chums.

Maybe whoever runs the merchandise page could add a CNET button- morris folks are laden with buttons! Folks on the Mudcat Cafe often identify each other at festivals and such through tshirts or buttons. Morris folk have their own kit, so t-shirts wouldn't work in that venue, but buttons would.

I came and watched Toronto when they danced at the Red Lion, coleshill as part of the Greensleeves Weekend, would have been great to have made the connection.

You mean you didn't just boldly approach the concertina player and introduce yourself?

Hmm, I gues you're not from the US. :lol: