My New CD, out just in time for the Holidays

My latest recording project is finally out and about. “Sing to Me, Concertina Boy” - A full CD of concertina songs and tunes, ranging from the ridiculous to the sublime... vintage crooning of some very old popular songs from the late 18th through the mid 20th centuries. These songs share a quirky and charming nostalgia that includes traditional folk, variety, music hall, 2nd Avenue and Hawaiian hapa haole gems. This unexpected mix of amusing songs and tunes is guaranteed to raise a smile and make you want to sing along.

If you attended any of my club appearances in England last month, you heard many of these selections. I like to perform all 17 of these fun songs live with only my own concertina playing to back me up and lead the choruses. “Sing to Me, Concertina Boy” includes a few of these solo renditions, but mostly I’ve asked eight of my favorite musicians to join me on fiddle, viola, mandolin, guitar, ukelele, acoustic bass, trombone, hammered dulcimer, cathedral pipe organ plus saxophones, washboard and jaw harp chorus. It’s a big warm sound.

Get your copy today in time for the holidays. If you want an autograph on yours then PM or email me and I’ll post it on to you ASAP, Paypal preferred. If you want to read the full liner notes, hear samples, buy downloads or pay with a credit card, use this link:

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/jodykruskal4#

Tootle pip!

post-557-0-29789100-1323213899_thumb.jpg

Great tunes Jody! A real mixed bag with pulsing concertina the whole way through! What more could we ask for?! Highly recommended for all concertina aficionados. There are far too few CDs in styles other than Irish!

Great tunes Jody! A real mixed bag with pulsing concertina the whole way through! What more could we ask for?! Highly recommended for all concertina aficionados. There are far too few CDs in styles other than Irish!

Thank you all for your comments and for ordering copies of your own.

Marcus, there actually is an Irish song in the mix... sort of. The text is from an American 18th century source and though I have always thought of the song as English, Irish trad singers still sing songs like this one. From my liner notes -

"Down in Sally’s Garden - This text is from a copybook handwritten by Joseph Goffe (1766-1846), dated 1784 in Bedford, New Hampshire, USA. Goffe’s lyrics are related to the Irish ballad "The Rambling Boys of Pleasure" and both texts share lines with the William Butler Yeats poem “Down by the Salley Gardens” published in 1889. The tune I use is an English variant of the Irish air “An Traigh Mughdhorma” and one I have always associated with the Yeats song. Yeats wrote that his famous poem was "an attempt to reconstruct an old song from three lines imperfectly remembered by an old peasant woman in the village of Ballisodare, Sligo, who often sings them to herself.”

• 3 weeks later...

Long time c.net member Perry Werner posted a very nice review of my cd Concertina Boy on the cdbaby page http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/jodykruskal4#

If any of you other c.net folks who have heard the cd would like to add your comments to that page (especially comments of appreciation), I would be delighted. Many of my sales are to people who are just browsing and stumble on that page, so your words will actually be read by folks who are interested in your opinion.

Thanks.