62k Aeola baritone/treble, 1923

david robertson

I wonder if I can interest anyone in this lovely Aeola? It was in unmarked original condition when it came in. The 8-fold bellows were flawless, and even the valves were supple and flat - I have replaced only those few where I could detect a hint of valve-slap. Apart from that, I have fitted new pads, bushes and straps, French polished the woodwork, and tuned to concert pitch. I have also put a new strap on the original leather case.

The serial number is 29683 (find it here) which puts it right in what Mr Algar likes to call Wheatstone's top period - and who am I to disagree?

If you would like to know more, or to come and try it out in Norwich, please feel free to contact me.

I wonder if I can interest anyone in this lovely Aeola? It was in unmarked original condition when it came in. The 8-fold bellows were flawless, and even the valves were supple and flat - I have replaced only those few where I could detect a hint of valve-slap. Apart from that, I have fitted new pads, bushes and straps, French polished the woodwork, and tuned to concert pitch. I have also put a new strap on the original leather case.

The serial number is 29683 (find it here) which puts it right in what Mr Algar likes to call Wheatstone's top period - and who am I to disagree?

If you would like to know more, or to come and try it out in Norwich, please feel free to contact me.

Dave - lovely looking concertina (where's the lust emoticon when one needs it?)

Is this a treble extended down into the baritone region? Is middle C on the left side but shifted up one row?

Steve

Dave - lovely looking concertina (where's the lust emoticon when one needs it?)

Is this a treble extended down into the baritone region? Is middle C on the left side but shifted up one row?

Steve

The top 48 keys are standard treble layout, and it then proceeds in the normal sequence down into the baritone range.

The top 48 keys are standard treble layout, and it then proceeds in the normal sequence down into the baritone range.

But the bottom note is a G (and in the left hand), yes?

I.e., it doesn't have the even lower F# and F (in the right hand) that my own 64-button baritone-treble has. Yes? From old Wheatstone price lists, I would conclude that yours was more the "standard".

Edited by JimLucas

Lovely thing ! These Baritone/Trebles are like a super Tennor/ Treble. The one I have is the smaller 56 version... with out the very top notes so going only up as far as the top G of the Treble... but it is half and inch smaller at 8" accross the ends.

Hmmm... this one looks really nice... and with metal ends..... Hmmm I could be tempted too!

But the bottom note is a G (and in the left hand), yes?

I.e., it doesn't have the even lower F# and F (in the right hand) that my own 64-button baritone-treble has. Yes? From old Wheatstone price lists, I would conclude that yours was more the "standard".

Correct in every particular!

Lovely thing ! These Baritone/Trebles are like a super Tennor/ Treble. The one I have is the smaller 56 version... with out the very top notes so going only up as far as the top G of the Treble... but it is half and inch smaller at 8" accross the ends.

Hmmm... this one looks really nice... and with metal ends..... Hmmm I could be tempted too!

Stop gawping out the window and get back to your Maccan, boy.

Stop gawping out the window and get back to your Maccan, boy.

Yes Sir,Sorry Sir but Jimmy's got a bigger one than me Sir...... Still I can get an even bigger Maccan can't I Sir!

The serial number is 29683 (find it here)

You seem to have missed just one of the numerals; I'd suggest the following.

Apart from that, I'd be more than "interested" in this obviously lovely instrument, if I could only afford it... :(

My apologies - the serial number is correct, but the link is wrong (the old eyes aren't what they were!) Here is the correct link.

The serial number is 29683 (find it here)

You seem to have missed just one of the numerals; I'd suggest the following.

Apart from that, I'd be more than "interested" in this obviously lovely instrument, if I could only afford it... :(

My apologies - the serial number is correct, but the link is wrong (the old eyes aren't what they were!) Here is the correct link.

Listed in the pricelist as a model 15, a 62 key baritone-treble (costing £29 10s 00d with metal ends in 1920).

Edited by SteveS

And... how does that 'tina happen to be in such a pristine state - do you know?

It came from an old chap in Scotland who didn't play himself. It had been his father's instrument, and he was selling a nice raised metal-ended treble at the same time. Maybe the father found the baritone/treble a bit heavy for everyday use, so used the treble regularly, but only played the big beast on high days and holidays? Frankly, your guess is as good as mine, but you don't often find an 88-year-old instrument whose reeds have remained untouched since the day it was made!

• 4 weeks later...

I had hoped that this one might sell at Witney, but since only 36 people turned up for the event, the pond seems to have been too small...

So, here goes with the Aeola Autumn Sale. In the interest of maintaining my bank manager's bonus (and because I quite like to eat) I'm now offering this absolute cracker with £500 off the previous asking price. The ticket now says £3750. You may never find another in this wonderful condition, and almost certainly not at this price.

If you'd like to try it out, just drop me a PM. Go on - you're worth it!

I had hoped that this one might sell at Witney, but since only 36 people turned up for the event, the pond seems to have been too small...

So, here goes with the Aeola Autumn Sale. In the interest of maintaining my bank manager's bonus (and because I quite like to eat) I'm now offering this absolute cracker with £500 off the previous asking price. The ticket now says £3750. You may never find another in this wonderful condition, and almost certainly not at this price.

Dave:

I'm guessing that you have little interest in sending this to the states for a looksie/squeezie?

• 3 weeks later...

Dave:

I'm guessing that you have little interest in sending this to the states for a looksie/squeezie?

Hi Perry,

Sorry for the delay in replying, but I've been away. I'm afraid that if the pond at Witney was a bit too small, the Atlantic is a bit too big! Given the size and weight of the beast and its case, it would cost one of us a small fortune to send and possibly return, so I don't really think it's a practical proposition.

Regards,

David