Concertina in Egytian music?

mikep1

That is interesting, do you know where I could order these two books????

A quick google search produced the following reference:

Re: [HG] Massif Central books ... May 22, 2008 6:09 PM Subject: Re: [HG] Massif Central books They were published by Dragonfly Music (Matt Seattle) and the publication ...

www.mail-archive.com/hg@hurdygurdy.com/msg03439.html

Looking up this site you can read further information, but the following extract is the most relevant:

They were published by Dragonfly Music (Matt Seattle) and the publication

rights were sold to Dave Mallinson

http://www.mally.com/

who, alas, had his entire stock stolen from his van and, up to now,

hasn't had them reprinted (although I don't know the reason).

Mel is, at present, the only source for them (unless someone has old stock).

Dave has the publication rights to all of Dragonfly Music now so it's up

to him if he gets around to publishing those particular books again.

Sad but true.

I don't know what control Mel still has (if any) over the two books or

whether he could publish them with another publisher or not but I suspect that

Dragonfly Music has control of them.

As a further point, all of the tunes from the books are available as Midi

files from one of our members (who, I am sure, will respond accordingly).

hope this helps,

John Wild

The lap dulcimer is called a Harmonium and is pretty widely now accepted in Indian Music. Most Indian traditional instruments are based on a single "Do". (They call it "Sa") Usually it is C#, but it can be anything. Also common are D, G# and A. The Do is the starting note of the scale. If you play in C#, you will usually never play in anything else. There are a lot of scales - they call them "Ragas".

Within the Do the other notes are going to be slightly different frequencys than a western chromatic scale. More like "just" intonation. With a sitar, they move the frets if they are going from one scale to another. On the harmonium they can't and at one time this was very contraversial.

One reason the keyboard is so well accepted is that in order to earn a living, musicians have to be able to play "Bollywood" music, which requires more chormatics.

BTW, Harmoniums have drones. Harmoniums that are sold for the Indian market have their drones in C# and G#. Some harmoniums sold for western players have the drones in non sharp keys.

And that's about as much as I know about it. Wonder how many mistakes I made?

Bob

http://www.pjmusic.co.uk/books.htm

PJ Music still lists the Massif central books in the catalogue on the above website. However, that does not mean they are in stock.

- John Wild

Mel still had some of these books for sale the last time I spoke to him

here is his Email address

StevensMel@aol.com

Al

Edited by Alan Day

Two more sources for Traditional Centre of France music;

The wonderfull tune book by Eric Montbel "Carnet de Notes" is available from... Centre Régional des Musiques Traditionelles en Limousin (or CRMTL for short)... web site www.crmtl.fr or 4 avenue Jean Vinatier. 19700. Seilhac. France. 200 melodies collected in Limousin.

Visit also the web site www.cabrette.com where you can download many partitions.

I also downloaded the 19th century collection of tunes collected by J.B.Bouillet (a great source of Bourees and Montagnardes from the Clermond Ferand area).... but I cannot find the site for obtaining this, out of print, volume... I will look further when I have time.

AEPEM is another assocation (based in Paris), who produce CD's and maybe tune books. If you Google AEPEM you will find their site.

Geoff.

The lap dulcimer is called a Harmonium and is pretty widely now accepted in Indian Music...

And that's about as much as I know about it. Wonder how many mistakes I made?

No mistakes that I can see, Bob. India also has a little free reed scale box, a bit like the harmonium, that they call a shruti box. There is a good article in one of Allan Atlas's Free Reed Journal along these lines.

But going back to Egypt - when I was there a couple of years back, there were lots of keyboard players using standard electronic "piano" keyboards. However they weren't tuned as ours are, but to a different temperament. So in theory, if you tuned a 12 notes scale to their scale, you'd be able to play along.

Here is a traditional Galician tune with oriental influences.

galician tune.mp3

The basic scale is D Eb F# G A Bb C D.

In some parts it goes to another key, using F in stead of the F#.

Without the chords it is easier to recognise the scale.

If you like I can also upload a version with chords.

Marien

very interesting discussion :)

On the concertina I play the Higaz scale in D, which appears to be the same as Marien's Galician scale. A lot of pretty well known Egyptian music was composed in this Key which didn't involve microtones, for example 'il-Hilwa di' by Sayyid Darwish. This seems fairly accesible to my G/D.

The other common scale is the Rast maqam, which does involve microtones and is just about possible with note bending on a mandolin. There are however many many many other maqams which, if you need your mind severely bending can be seen and heard on: http://www.maqamworld.com/

Good luck

Mike