Somebody got a Bargain

Graham Collicutt

Or perhaps somebody got ripped off? Buy-it-now price around a quarter to a third of its actual value, seller with zero feedback... I just hope the buyer took steps to ensure that it was kosher before parting with any cash.

I would have taken the risk and paid by paypal.

Graham

Paypal only refunds if there is enough in the seller's account to pay the amount due. So if you pay the seller and the seller has Paypal write a check as soon as you make the deposit, then you 'd better hope the concertina is on the way. Else you've absolutely no recourse. The money will not be in the seller's account. Nor in your account.

And £15.00 Royal Mail Airsure to ship it? Come on. I bet the "seller" wasn't born yesterday. I hope the buyer wasn't either. Bet this is a scam. I'll give odds this is a scam.

There is another fine Jeffries for sale at ebay.com here. It looks genuine and sort of reasonable...

It used to belong to Nick Robertshaw, and is being played here:

(I confirmed this with the seller.) The Jeffries Duet system sounds quite tricky to learn...

--Jonathan

There is another fine Jeffries for sale at ebay.com here. It looks genuine and sort of reasonable...

It used to belong to Nick Robertshaw, and is being played here:

(I confirmed this with the seller.) The Jeffries Duet system sounds quite tricky to learn...

--Jonathan

THat is true. It is an amazing instrument - one of the loudest concertinas anywhere on the planet - and was lovingly maintained by Big Nick for many years.

Paypal only refunds if there is enough in the seller's account to pay the amount due. So if you pay the seller and the seller has Paypal write a check as soon as you make the deposit, then you 'd better hope the concertina is on the way. Else you've absolutely no recourse. The money will not be in the seller's account. Nor in your account.

Are you sure about that, David?? http://pages.ebay.co...tion/index.html

25x25_lp-ebp_button4.gif We'll contact seller to help sort things out

We'll contact the seller and ask them to solve your issue within 10 days. After 10 days if the problem can't be resolved between you and the seller, you've paid using PayPal and your claim qualifies for coverage with eBay Buyer Protection, eBay will arrange for the purchase price plus original shipping to be refunded through PayPal.

That seems to be a clear committment to me - and looking at the full terms and conditions: http://pages.ebay.co...protection.html

• Where there are insufficient funds in PayPal accounts or where PayPal is not the reimbursement method of a seller, we will require another reimbursement method.

For future claims where we find in favour of the buyer, we will notify the seller and continue to charge the sellers preferred method for any reimbursements made under the eBay Buyer Protection Policy. Changing a reimbursement method will not affect eBay's use of a payment method on file for other purposes (such as payment of your eBay fees). If sellers do not provide eBay with a valid reimbursement method, we may collect amounts owed using other collection mechanisms, including retaining collection agencies and/or take one or more of the steps listed in the section below...

Maybe things work out differently in practice but I doubt it, otherwise no-one in their right mind would opt for this 'buyer-protection' scheme .. Explain yourself!!

Edited by tombilly

Maybe things work out differently in practice but I doubt it, otherwise no-one in their right mind would opt for this 'buyer-protection' scheme .. Explain yourself!!

My own experience was different, its a few years ago now, but an item I bought was never sent, in the end I received no refund because the seller had withdrawn the money from their paypal account and then closed the account. In that situation the paypal "buyer protection" is worthless. Fortunately the amount I lost was small, but it was a valuable lesson.

My own experience was different, its a few years ago now, but an item I bought was never sent, in the end I received no refund because the seller had withdrawn the money from their paypal account and then closed the account. In that situation the paypal "buyer protection" is worthless. Fortunately the amount I lost was small, but it was a valuable lesson.

I must admit Theo, that I didn't have time to scrutinise the Ebay - PayPal small print but a general reading indicates that PayPal will refund the buyer when they find in their favour and chase the seller for re imbursement - like the credit card companies. Maybe, I missed a 'get out' clause somewhere but otherwise if I didn't, they are obligated to meet that standard surely. You can't encourage people to purchase under some 'Buyer Protection' scheme if it's worthless. Please point out where PayPal can escape from this committment.

Some people here like to knock PayPal and I'm sure like any large financial organisation, they have their moments. But in general they supply a useful service. I use them as a small business to handle credit card payments (nothing to do with music) and whilst, they're a small bit costlier than some other agencies, I find the service simple to operate and I don't have to worry about volume of sales. I was interested recently to receive a call from a staff member there when I withdrew a larger amount than normal from my account - he was just checking that I had authorised it and it wasn't a hack.

I'm just relating my experience, but it was some years ago, before paypal was purchased by ebay, so they may have changed their procedures.

I also use paypal both to send and receive money, but I still think I should take responsibility for looking for very obvious warning signs such as seller zero feedback, and a suspiciously low price, before making a purchase.

Edited by Theo

I assume that your last words referred to my comments about the "Buyer Protection" thing being mostly advertising fluff. I will also infer that you meant "explain yourself, please."

To this end, please access www.paypalsucks.com. "Would you trust a monopoly like Paypal to refund a large chunk of money in the event of a scam?"

www.paypalwarning.com is another interesting site. Their take: According to the San Francisco Chronicle, there are approx. 100,000 complaints outstanding at PayPal (Are any of these yours?). In many instances disputes can run on for months leaving people frustrated and out of pocket as they are unable to access their accounts.

From: http://raisedbyturtl...tection-sucks/: Paypal Buyer Protection on EBay is Worthless

The title pretty much says it. Paypal Buyer Protection will not help you if you have a problem and need to dispute a purchase on EBay. Simple as that. With Paypal, not only do I need to return the item, I need to return it with tracking. As it turns out, the cheapest way of tracking the item will only track it out of the US, but not to the seller's door.

If this doesn't convince you not to trust in Paypal's "Buyer Protection" scheme for an expensive item, then have at it. If you lose you'll have only yourself to blame.

And £15.00 Royal Mail Airsure to ship it? Come on. I bet the "seller" wasn't born yesterday. I hope the buyer wasn't either. Bet this is a scam. I'll give odds this is a scam.

What odds do you give then? ;) This was not a scam and nobody got duped. I was looking for a quick sale as I'm going abroad. You're definitely right about the postage costs - it would seem that I was "born yesterday". It was 0.3kg too heavy for Airsure in the end. It is a lovely instrument and I hope the buyer will be happy with it. He was quick off the mark and was willing to put his money down just as quick. Under different circumstances it may have fetched a higher price. It will be sorely missed.

If that's true - it's great news and one in the eye for all the doubters and cynics!! and I'd be a bit inclined to the latter!!

David - I flicked through your http://www.paypalwarning.com/ and guess what - the first page is liberally sprinkled with links to a company competing with PayPal for merchant accounts. I mean, come on - I wouldn't believe a single word from a page set up like that regardless..

I'm not stupid enough to believe that PayPal is always fair and honest and I guess the issue is one of how you go about sueing them for breach of contract, especially if the costs of doing so greatly exceed the amount your out of pocket. However I have received a refund in the past for goods that never arrived, that said the amount wasn't huge.