Riccordi Concertina Photos

Hello again,

I took the advice of someone that wrote back to me yesterday about the Riccordi concertinas, but under the search, out of the 9 that came up, 3 of them were the topics that I wrote about, and the 2 replies. And the other 6 did not answer any of my questions, they were mostly about purchasing riccordi concertinas.

I have attached a photo of my Riccordi.

Just was wondering how similar this Riccordi is to the Stagi?

Does the Stagi use Accordian reeds?

Are they the same as the photo attached?

I will attach a photo of the inside of the concertina as well so that you can see the reeds.

According to the photo, some of the "leather flaps are missing" do they need to be put on there?

post-8219-12579464104463_thumb.jpgpost-8219-12579467202734_thumb.jpgpost-8219-12579470598949_thumb.jpg

Thank you,

Levi & sara

Hello again,

I took the advice of someone that wrote back to me yesterday about the Riccordi concertinas, but under the search, out of the 9 that came up, 3 of them were the topics that I wrote about, and the 2 replies. And the other 6 did not answer any of my questions, they were mostly about purchasing riccordi concertinas.

I have attached a photo of my Riccordi.

Just was wondering how similar this Riccordi is to the Stagi?

Does the Stagi use Accordian reeds?

Are they the same as the photo attached?

I will attach a photo of the inside of the concertina as well so that you can see the reeds.

According to the photo, some of the "leather flaps are missing" do they need to be put on there?

post-8219-12579464104463_thumb.jpgpost-8219-12579467202734_thumb.jpgpost-8219-12579470598949_thumb.jpg

Thank you,

Levi & sara

Thank you for your reply Stephen.

As far as the "high ones" you mean just the high notes?

There are ten buttons on each side, and on the low side, should they all have the valves?

And as far as the high side, how many of them should have the valves?

Do they make Anglo Concertinas without using the Accordian reeds? Or do all Anglos have Accordian reeds?

Because we emailed someone on another site, and they said that if they are German made Concertinas that they usually use accordian reeds.

Thank you again for your anwsers, they are greatly appreciated,

Levi & Sara

Yes.

There are ten buttons on each side, and on the low side, should they all have the valves?

Yes.

That varies.

Do they make Anglo Concertinas without using the Accordian reeds? Or do all Anglos have Accordian reeds?

Only concertinas of traditional English-style construction use concertina reeds, all others use accordion-type reeds.

Because we emailed someone on another site, and they said that if they are German made Concertinas that they usually use accordian reeds.

Except for those made by Jurgen Suttner, which are made like traditional English instruments.

Yes.

Yes.

That varies.

Only concertinas of traditional English-style construction use concertina reeds, all others use accordion-type reeds.

Except for those made by Jurgen Suttner, which are made like traditional English instruments.

Thank you for your replies again, Stephen.

I just had a couple more questions.

Do all English Concertinas make only one note per button, wheather you pull out or push in?

And from what you wrote, I am understanding that the Concertina reeds only make one note weather it is pushed in or pulled out, and the accordian reeds make 2 notes, one when pushed in, and the other when pulled out.

Is this correct?

I am very new to this, and your answers have helped me out a lot!

As far as the Anglo concertinas, the expensive ones, what type of reeds do they use? What do they look like?

Because you said above that the cheap ones have accordian type reeds like the concertina that I have.

How do the expensive anglo concertinas reeds differ, if at all?

Would you happen to know what type of reeds are in the German Scholer concertinas?

Do they look like the one I have?

Thank you again for all your help.

Levi & Sara

Have a look at The Concertina Library for answers to some of your questiona, and answers to a whole lot more questions that you have not asked yet!

And the old Guide has answers to virtually all those questions (and more) even though the particular brand and pricing info is now very obsolete...

Paul

As a relative newcomer myself, I emphasize with your confusion!

Don't confuse the terms "English Concertina", and English made concertina. Concertinas using both the English (1 note per button, push or pull) and German (2 notes per button) fingering systems were made in England using traditional concertina reeds. The English made German style were an improvement on the original German made versions, employing metal rather than wooden levers, and concertina rather than accordion reeds. These became known as Anglo-German concertinas, later shortened to Anglo.

A reed (concertina or accordion) will only produce one note. Anglo(and German)concertinas produce 2 notes per button because there is a pair of reeds for each button. One reed sounds on the push, the other on the pull.

English makers of vintage concertinas (Wheatstone, Lachenal, et al)used the same type of reeds in both their English and Anglo concertinas.

To further confuse matters, both styles of concertina were, and are, made in other places, and may use either accordion or traditional concertina reeds, although overwhelmingly it's the former ( as traditional concertina reeds are no longer mass produced and are therefore much more expensive). For example, the popular beginner model Jack and Jackie concertinas use the English fingering system, but are made with accordion reeds.

The Scholer is similar to your concertina and uses accordion reeds.

Not all accordion reeded concertinas are cheap. Some very good modern "hybrid" makers such as Morse, Tedrow and Edgley build a high quality concertina, using top quality accordion reeds.

Don't confuse the terms "English Concertina", and English made concertina. Concertinas using both the English (1 note per button, push or pull) and German (2 notes per button) fingering systems were made in England using traditional concertina reeds. The English made German style were an improvement on the original German made versions, employing metal rather than wooden levers, and concertina rather than accordion reeds. These became known as Anglo-German concertinas, later shortened to Anglo.

A reed (concertina or accordion) will only produce one note. Anglo(and German)concertinas produce 2 notes per button because there is a pair of reeds for each button. One reed sounds on the push, the other on the pull.

English makers of vintage concertinas (Wheatstone, Lachenal, et al)used the same type of reeds in both their English and Anglo concertinas.

To further confuse matters, both styles of concertina were, and are, made in other places, and may use either accordion or traditional concertina reeds, although overwhelmingly it's the former ( as traditional concertina reeds are no longer mass produced and are therefore much more expensive). For example, the popular beginner model Jack and Jackie concertinas use the English fingering system, but are made with accordion reeds.

Not all accordion reeded concertinas are cheap. Some very good modern "hybrid" makers such as Morse, Tedrow and Edgley build a high quality concertina, using top quality accordion reeds.

Bill,

Thank you for taking the time to write back to me. Thank you for all of your information.

I have another question!

From what I am understanding, the early German Concertinas (1880's somewhere in that era), they were using Accordian reeds, is that correct?

And then the English took the Anglo and replaced the accordian reeds with Concertina reeds, is that correct?

So the english concertinas now days that are anglo, they have 2 concertina reeds, one for each note, one going in, and one going out?

Am I on the right track now?

Thank you again, and look forward to reading your reply!

Levi & Sara

The earlier (pre-WW2) German concertinas used a type of "long-plate" or "ganged" reeds that are no longer used on small concertinas made today, though I believe that they are still used on some bandoneons. The later German concertinas used accordion reeds, as do Italian concertinas, Chinese concertinas, and the higher-quality recent midrange/hybrid concertinas.

All concertinas and accordions have one reed for the push, another for the pull, for each note.

"English"-construction concertinas (more commonly, though perhaps less accurately, called "vintage" type) use concertina-type reeds. This type of concertina is now made in the US, Australia, Germany and South Africa as well as in England -- see the "Current makes of concertina" pinned thread at the top of this section for more details.

Bill,

Thank you for taking the time to write back to me. Thank you for all of your information.

I have another question!

From what I am understanding, the early German Concertinas (1880's somewhere in that era), they were using Accordian reeds, is that correct?

And then the English took the Anglo and replaced the accordian reeds with Concertina reeds, is that correct?

So the english concertinas now days that are anglo, they have 2 concertina reeds, one for each note, one going in, and one going out?

Levi & Sara

The earlier (pre-WW2) German concertinas used a type of "long-plate" or "ganged" reeds that are no longer used on small concertinas made today, though I believe that they are still used on some bandoneons. The later German concertinas used accordion reeds, as do Italian concertinas, Chinese concertinas, and the higher-quality recent midrange/hybrid concertinas.

All concertinas and accordions have one reed for the push, another for the pull, for each note.

"English"-construction concertinas (more commonly, though perhaps less accurately, called "vintage" type) use concertina-type reeds. This type of concertina is now made in the US, Australia, Germany and South Africa as well as in England -- see the "Current makes of concertina" pinned thread at the top of this section for more details.

Bill,

I have another question!

Levi & Sara

Daniel,

Hello, and thank you for writing back, and answering my questions.

Do you know where I could find a picture of the "ganged" reeds?

Are they similar to harmonica reeds?

Thank you,

Levi & Sara

I don't know anything about harmonica reeds. Here's a pic of ganged/long-plate reeds. It's from a big Chemnitzer concertina rather than a small one of the type that we usually discuss here, but it's what I've got handy and the basic look of the reeds and plates is the same. I believe that the reeds in this pic are on aluminum plates -- zinc plates are more common.

pawlanta5.jpg

Bill,

I have another question!

Levi & Sara

Daniel,

Hello, and thank you for writing back, and answering my questions.

Do you know where I could find a picture of the "ganged" reeds?

Are they similar to harmonica reeds?

Thank you,

Levi & Sara