40 replies to this topic

#37 ceemonster

ceemonster

Heavyweight Boxer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1320 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 01:55 AM

yes, i remember being electrified when i first saw/heard the packie clip that has been on the 'tube for about ten-ish years now....i love his "long-bow" clare-fiddle-type phrasing....exploiting the 30 or 30+ button anglo's full note-choice capacity to choose to extend your "bow strokes" and phrases when you want to,  the way the fiddlers choose, or the bandoneon players can choose........about 6 years ago i was in a workshop with a clare concertina player of the "play only THESE buttons" school, and when they disapprovingly noted this in my style, i began to explain how i was doing it by choice, and the individual cut me off literally about four words in, and said in this patronizing tone, "by choice?  i don't THINK so....this is something you see done by people without musical training," blah, blah, blah.  so i didn't bother explaining any more, and didn't bother noting that gearoid and tim collins had separately remarked on it in a surprised but approving way.  i just continued to play the way i want it to sound.  and i am not at all convinced that packie russell was doing it accidentally.  he sounds very "clare fiddle."  so did john joe casey's concertina playing, i love the phrasing of his as well....

Edited by ceemonster, 02 October 2014 - 01:56 AM.

#38 Peter Laban

Peter Laban

Chatty concertinist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 02:45 AM

Early mornign random thoughts: Fintan Vallely did a nice presentation on the history of the drum @ Willie a some years ago, there were some interesting insights there. As for Clare drumming, you're all familiar with the recordings of Willie Clancy and Aggie Whyte accompanied bu Thady Casey's drumming?

#39 ceemonster

ceemonster

Heavyweight Boxer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1320 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 02:49 AM

lizzie crotty was a remarkable individual, and so was kitty hayes....the music was in them and it would out no matter what....

#40 Tony Elphick

Tony Elphick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 09:09 AM

When I first went to Ireland in 1976 I sought out Packy Russell in the pub at Doolin. He saw my concertina and we started playing a tune together, but the pub was packed out with about 30 or 40 students from Dublin, every one of which had a bodhran. Whenever we started playing all the bodhrans started up too and it sounded like the annual wildebeest migration was going through the pub. After this had happened about 3 or 4 times Packie lent across to me at the end of our tunes and said "If there's a single bodhran in heaven, then I'm glad I'm going to Hell!"

#41 Geoff Wooff

Geoff Wooff

Heavyweight Boxer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2097 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 01:55 PM

When I first went to Ireland in 1976 I sought out Packy Russell in the pub at Doolin. He saw my concertina and we started playing a tune together, but the pub was packed out with about 30 or 40 students from Dublin, every one of which had a bodhran. Whenever we started playing all the bodhrans started up too and it sounded like the annual wildebeest migration was going through the pub. After this had happened about 3 or 4 times Packie lent across to me at the end of our tunes and said "If there's a single bodhran in heaven, then I'm glad I'm going to Hell!"

I vividly recall the reaction from Packie  when I was sitting next to him and innocently suggested that the bodhran player sitting on the other side of him was playing well. Of course he could not make a comment  with out his neigbour hearing so  he turned to me and pulled  a face that would out do a gargoyle!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users