Tune And Theme Otm Both Closed And Locked With No Discussion

Very disappointing, I felt that I was learning a lot from these threads.

Why are they locked down?

So much for my worrying whether I would manage to squeeze in the time to record a thing or two this month. :(

FWIW: It appears that they're locked against new entries, but I'm glad to see that I can still view posts that were already there.

If this was done because Jim could not administer it any longer then might I suggest that we simply piggy-back onto Melnet's TOTM?

Just use whatever they choose as their TOTM as our TOTM.

I really cannot fathom why the old threads have been locked down against new postings.

Don.

About the Tune of the Month forum....

Since March, 2013, we've done 32 Tunes of the Month and almost as many themes, and it's been great fun. The discipline of learning tunes that might not ordinarily be on my playlists and recording them for public consumption has been helpful for my own playing, and I hope the same is true for others.

But nothing lasts forever on the Web.

It's become apparent to me that there just isn't a critical mass of players posting tunes, and participation has been declining in the past six months, to the point where I no longer think there's enough interest to justify the work of searching for interesting tunes, posting the polls, finding YouTube videos and notation and monitoring the forum. At least for me.

I've put this to Paul, who so graciously allowed me to run with the TOTM idea, and he's closed the forum.

There's no reason folks can't pursue the basic Tune of the Month or Theme of the Month idea in a more informal context in the recordings and videos forum. Maybe something unstructured will work better for people.

In any event, my sincere thanks to c.netters who have suggested, recorded and commented on tunes. Thanks for an unusually civil (for the Internet) level of discourse. And as always, thanks to Paul and Ken for concertina.net, which remains the premier Web resource for our peculiar little slice of humanity.

Edited by Jim Besser

But nothing last forever on the Web.

I thought it was the other way around: Things do last forever, usually in multiple copies, especially when you don't want them to. :ph34r:

It's become apparent to me that there just isn't a critical mass of players posting tunes, and participation has been declining in the past six months, to the point where I no longer think there's enough interest to justify the work of searching for interesting tunes, posting the polls, finding YouTube videos and notation and monitoring the forum. At least for me.

Well, what's done is done, though I think it would have been nice to announce that you were dropping it and at least let the current Tune and Theme run their course through the end of the month. In fact, there were at least a couple of independent posts this month that I was going to suggest should be cross-posted to November's Theme (actually had it on my list for today's activities), but now I guess it's too late.

Were you afraid we'd try to talk you out of dropping the project? Undoubtedly, some of us would have tried. Then again, maybe someone else would have volunteered to take over the stewardship. Or maybe not.

Anyway, I thank you for what you've done, and I'm very glad that the history is still there. I refer to it now and then and hope to do so even more often in the future.

Jim

Thank you for your work on TOTM, it has been very enjoyable listening to the various arrangements of the same tune.

I do not know if I am unique, but I have been using TOTM as a major part of teaching myself concertina. Maybe other folks do this too? If so, then it was of value beyond the handful of mostly expert players that posted regularly.

Fortunately, there are 32 months of back issues to work upon.

I would make one request of Paul and yourself: please unlock the existing threads so that if someone does want to post their offering in the future then there will be an obvious place to do so.

Thx. again

Don.

I would make one request of Paul and yourself: please unlock the existing threads so that if someone does want to post their offering in the future then there will be an obvious place to do so.

Thx. again

I'm glad it was of value to you.

The decision about unlocking is entirely Paul's - my moderator powers are highly limited, as is my understanding of the various demands of running a complex board like this. It's his call, as it should be.

Many thanks to Jim Besser for all the work you put into this project. Personally it was very usefull for me during recouperation from a serious illness where I had time and the need to recover my concertina playing... learning new tunes and learning to record and post examples was great therapy.

Best regards,

Geoff.

Thanks Jim,

I was only an infrequent contributor, but appreciated your efforts

Were I to complain it would be to the general membership who did not comment or respond at all. It was frustrating to me, and I'm sure others, to submit something and hear nothing. There is much to learn from commentary. Would that there hand been more.

Yep. Many thanks to Jim... and to Paul.

Now where do we go from here? Let's not debate it; let's just do it.

We can still post tunes, listen to and learn from what's posted, even make requests. We can critique and otherwise discuss tunes, arrangements, and playing styles. Or not, as we choose. And lets not forget the "tadpoles" and ABC, e.g., "Something for the Weekend".

I'm looking forward to what the new year brings, and maybe even some "Christmas presents". :)

I'd like to join in with the thanks in this season of Thanksgiving. I've learned quite a bit about about my own playing while approaching tunes I would otherwise have left alone.

After this year's NorthEast Squeeze-In, it occurred to me that I (or Jim and I) should have offered a session of concertina.net TOTM review. A chance for everyone to play together on the tunes we've worked so hard on.

Aah, well... Because of TOTM, I have a presence on soundcloud and youtube. No reason to think I won't continue to record stuff.

I'd like to join in with the thanks in this season of Thanksgiving. I've learned quite a bit about about my own playing while approaching tunes I would otherwise have left alone.

After this year's NorthEast Squeeze-In, it occurred to me that I (or Jim and I) should have offered a session of concertina.net TOTM review. A chance for everyone to play together on the tunes we've worked so hard on.

Aah, well... Because of TOTM, I have a presence on soundcloud and youtube. No reason to think I won't continue to record stuff.

David - actually, I did that at the 2014 NESI: printed notation for all the TOTM tunes up to that point, and about 10 of us played through most of them. Decided not to repeat myself this year!

And I plan to continue recording and posting, as well.

Agree with above - many thanks to Jim and most of all thank you for your encouragement and support.

However, I also agree there just did not seem to be an awful lot of contribution. Where the Melodeon net community scores is that it is primarily focussed on English morris with a good scattering of european music. The concertina net is far more eclectic and I hold my hand up to not even looking at totm if it was not an English tune or something appealing.

I have been playing for less than 2 years and feel the the TOTM have been hugely helpful in my concertina playing technique, expanding my tune base , helping with my rhythm and recording skills.

Thanks so much Jim.

Yep. Many thanks to Jim... and to Paul.

Now where do we go from here? Let's not debate it; let's just do it.

We can still post tunes, listen to and learn from what's posted, even make requests. We can critique and otherwise discuss tunes, arrangements, and playing styles. Or not, as we choose. And lets not forget the "tadpoles" and ABC, e.g., "Something for the Weekend".

I'm looking forward to what the new year brings, and maybe even some "Christmas presents". :)

OK Here's a little set of Chanukah tunes. Probably too well known, but I'm hoping the arrangements might grab someone.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g6gwct9pywbzxsu/Chanukah%20Tunes.mp3?dl=0

Maybe some others will happen closer to Christmas....