Baro Concertina !?

Hello,

Anybody know who is the manufacturer of Baro concertina ?

You can see some here : http://www.musikhaus-hoppe.com/concertina.htm

It just look exactly the same as Stagi so I assume that Sagi is the manufacturer (and the name remind me of Bastari :-)

And if it is Stagi, why do they create another name !? This is confusing :unsure:

Best !

These are all not-too-beautiful instruments.

If you wouldn't want to go for a Concertina Connection model (as repeatedly advised by forum members), they're not to be aquired without being able to try it first, or at least a good and reliable return policy. Maybe you should try Jackie, Rochelle & Co. as well to make sure you'll be liking your future instrument sufficiently to take it up again and again.

Best wishes - Wolf

Thank you wolf but you are answering the question "Should I buy a baro or not" :-)

My question is who is the manufacturer of Baro

I have a Lachenal which I like and I had a Rochelle which I also liked but not that much. At the end, I am just frustrated how short is the below on those concertina ( I don't want to play fast irish stuff but longer note).

I am now looking for a cheap concertina with those long below to play slow stuff. Chinese is to be avoid, but I kind of like those Stagi which is not soo bad as I read around the net (except for the purist of course). But if Baro is Stagi then I could also look for one...

I have a "Hohner"-branded Stagi which has presumably been manufactured in Italy in the 70s or 80s; I'm sure it's not Chinese, but I'm not sure you can be that sure regarding more recent "Stagi" concertinas.

However, my Italian Stagi is an awful instrument. I don't believe it to have been much better as it was built. So my point was and is that you possibly shouldn't rely that much on the brand name. As to Bastari, they seemed to have occasionally built better concertinas, in one case - reported in the archives of concertina.net - even with the reeds mounted flat on the reed pan (I guess you'll be able to find it under "A junk shop gem" or similar). In more recent years, Bastari appeared to be just a brand among all the others re "Stagi" concertinas.

Edited to add that the length of a bellows may mean next to nothing if it (or the concertina) is not reasonably airtight.

Edited by Wolf Molkentin

Return Policy (Musikhaus Hoppe), apparently not available in English:

Widerrufsrecht für Verbraucher
(Verbraucher ist jede natürliche Person, die ein Rechtsgeschäft zu Zwecken abschließt, die überwiegend weder ihrer gewerblichen noch ihrer selbstständigen beruflichen Tätigkeit zugerechnet werden kann.)

Widerrufsbelehrung

Widerrufsrecht
Sie haben das Recht, binnen vierzehn Tagen ohne Angabe von Gründen diesen Vertrag zu widerrufen.
Die Widerrufsfrist beträgt vierzehn Tage ab dem Tag,

- an dem Sie oder ein von Ihnen benannter Dritter, der nicht der Beförderer ist, die Waren in Besitz genommen haben bzw. hat, sofern Sie eine oder mehrere Waren im Rahmen einer einheitlichen Bestellung bestellt haben und diese einheitlich geliefert wird bzw. werden;

basically meaning:

You can revoke the purchase after having tried out the instrument for up to two weeks, then send it back.

Edited by Wolf Molkentin

Go to Alibaba.com and search for "concertina instrument" and you will discover where most of the concertinas in your shop were made.

Fascinating!

I'm intrigued by the inflatable accordion:

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Inflatable-Accordion-Musical-Instrument_1553170393.html?spm=a2700.7724838.2017115.77.475c083fkxL7mT

Does it actually work, or is it just a blow-up toy?

Roger

Edited by lachenal74693

Anybody know who is the manufacturer of Baro concertina ?

You can see some here : http://www.musikhaus-hoppe.com/concertina.htm

It just look exactly the same as Stagi so I assume that Sagi is the manufacturer (and the name remind me of Bastari :-)

And if it is Stagi, why do they create another name !? This is confusing :unsure:

I don't understand your confusion. On that web site, there doesn't seem to be any listing for "Baro" that doesn't also include the "Stagi" name.

That would mean that they are all instruments made by Stagi but "rebadged" with another vendor's own brand name. That's common practice. E.g., contemporary "Hohner" concertinas are also known to be rebadged Stagis.

Note also that there are 22 models listed with the "Stagi" name, including the seven "Baro" models. Of those, six are not anglos. That leaves 16 Stagi anglo models listed, seven of which are "Baros" and nine of which are not "Baros". You should expect that these models differ from each other in one or more ways: sound quality, button action, reed response, construction engineering, construction materials, quality control, etc. A less expensive model by the same maker is almost certain to be of lesser quality in one or more ways, so "made by Stagi" is not enough to guarantee that you'll be happy with such an instrument.

And so I join those saying that it's really important that you be able to try the various instruments before you decide to buy. It looks like you're not more than 350 km (and maybe as little as 200 km) from Musikhaus Hoppe, no matter where you live in Belgium, so if you're seriously considering buying from them, a personal visit should be very much worth the effort. (It would also mean that if you do buy after you try, you won't risk possible damage during shipping.)

I'm intrigued by the inflatable accordion:

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Inflatable-Accordion-Musical-Instrument_1553170393.html?spm=a2700.7724838.2017115.77.475c083fkxL7mT

Does it actually work, or is it just a blow-up toy?

Given a price of $1-8 each, I'm pretty sure it doesn't produce different sounds when you press the different keys/buttons. :ph34r:

(I also note that it ships from China and a minimum order is 1000 pieces.)

If really interested in a Stagi, you might want to try the Buffon Box. They carry a pretty nice assortment of various Stagis and they tune and prep them to make sure they are playable when you purchase one. I had one from them that worked well from day one until I eventually upgraded. It was a nice starter instrument for me, much better than the Rochelle, which I also tried. Go to http://www.buttonbox.com

Edited by CaryK

ha ha yes wolf ! I like those long below concertina for slow and longer note. I just have time to have fun and not learn the instrument the proper way.

Thanks CaryK, sound great but in Belgium, custom is lots of $$ when coming from US ! I can add half the price of the instrument :-(

Jim, to be fair, I'm not sure if the web site was showing this way before... :rolleyes:

If it wasn't showing all that before, it must be an interesting coincidence that it was updated over the course of 24 hours (between our posts) to include all that extra information.

Or Musikhaus Hoppe constantly monitors concertina.net and worked very hard overnight to add those details? :unsure:

Edited by JimLucas