Who do you listen to?

As I try to become a better concertina player there are performances I hear that inspire me and that I try to emulate. Sure, a few are played on the concertina but most are played on other instruments. I am listening to old recordings of American fiddlers mostly, but sometimes old recordings of banjo singers like Uncle Dave Macon or guitar singers like Mississippi John Hurt are more helpful than any concertina performance could ever be. I try to translate what I like in these old recordings to my concertina playing and so gain insight into new ways to get a sound from my chosen instrument, the Anglo concertina.

Example: I was just putting together a written arrangement of "Shepton Mallet" for some students of mine and went looking for the source for this tune on the web. According to Roger Digby this tune comes from the playing of harmonica player, Jim Small from Cheddar, England. While I could not find a free download of him playing Shepton Mallet, I did find a few other tunes available here: http://www.davidhambley.co.uk/ScottishHarmonica/audio.html

What a joyous sound from the harmonica! Full of dance rhythm and bounce. Could I sound like that on the concertina? I could sure try!

So, dear readers, might you provide links to a sound that you would like to emulate on the concertina, so that we could all hear what you like? I'm not asking for your preference for a particular tune but rather your preference for a particular sound, groove, rhythm, style or quality that you might aim to achieve on the solo concertina.

Toccatina for the flutes by Pietro Yon.

I have a recording of Noel Rawsthorne playing it on the ogran of Liverpool Cathedral. It is a very light and delicate sounding piece, almost "tinkling" and can be adapted to play on the Anglo.

Robin Madge

I've been listening a lot recently to the playing of the Swedish fiddler Kalle Almlöf - his music from Malung in the west of Sweden close to the Norwegian border is inspiring me to adapt fiddle music that I'd previously thought was beyond me on EC. The EC lends itself quite well to most of the ornamentation that fiddlers use. The trick is to maintain the feel of e.g. polska, springlek, pols, that is imparted to the dancers by the bowing of the fiddle.

The start of a pleasurable experience.

Steve

Edited by SteveS

There are a few concertina players, but there is one button accordion CD that is one of my favourites: Patty Furlong from the New York area. Not only are the tunes played beautifully, but the tune selection is excellent! I would find myself whistling a melody, and wonder, "Where did that come from?" Of course, the Patty Furlong CD! I frequently put it back on to get the details of the tune & how she played it.

My favorites lately are Brendan McGlinchey, James Kelly, Martin Hayes, Maurice Lennon, and Cathal Hayden. Anyone see a trend?

There are a few concertina players, but there is one button accordion CD that is one of my favourites: Patty Furlong from the New York area. Not only are the tunes played beautifully, but the tune selection is excellent! I would find myself whistling a melody, and wonder, "Where did that come from?" Of course, the Patty Furlong CD! I frequently put it back on to get the details of the tune & how she played it.

Patty is a great player and a delightful person. She has also been working on concertina for the last couple years, so she's secretly one of us.

i listen often to instruments which do NOT have "push-pull" components, to see where those instruments lift off the note, both at phrase ends and within phrase runs, to achieve phrasing that has the swing, lift, and nyah of traditional irish dance music rather than an overly connected, overly smooth classical sound. i also listen to "long-bow" style fiddlers, many of whom are from clare and east galway traditions, for this as well.

that is because i love the kind of phrasing fiddlers sometimes call "long-bow," or "round edged" as opposed to"short-bow," or "square-edged." i find the so-called noel hill system of cross-row fingering, while more "round-edged" than pure "on the rows" fingering, to be more square-edged than if you put all notes on the concertina in play and trained yourself to be fluent enough to choose for how you wanted to phrase, like fiddlers do, as opposed to using only those at the inner front. you give up some bass chord opps this way, but i don't give a #@!$% about bass chord opps.

i also listen to non-back-and-forth instruments and "long-bow" fiddling for phrasing training because i am switching from push-pull accordion to unisonoric (cba), which has gotten a bad rap as not having irish nyah because many PA players phrase too smooth, like they've never studied the staccato note spacing and phrase breaks of irish dance music. unisonoric accordions won't give you "square edge" or "back-and-forth" nyah, but they will phrase every bit as traditionally as the non-back-and-forth instruments such as pipes, flute, whistle, and the more fluid long-bow fiddle styles....of course, you can also listen to the bidirectional instrument players for note-break phrasing tips as well....

so these days i'm listening to a lot of mike rafferty, jack coen, and paddy carty, willy clancy, both rowsomes, mick o'brien, the clare piper whose last name is talty, can't remember his first name, lots of travelling piper music because i love the fluid traveller phrasing; and lots of paddy canny, conor tully, bobby casey, junior crehan, lucy farr, eileen o'brien, and more, so much more.... :ph34r:

Edited by ceemonster

i also listen to non-back-and-forth instruments and "long-bow" fiddling for phrasing training because i am switching from push-pull accordion to unisonoric (cba), which has gotten a bad rap as not having irish nyah because many PA players phrase too smooth, like they've never studied the staccato note spacing and phrase breaks of irish dance music. unisonoric accordions won't give you "square edge" or "back-and-forth" nyah, but they will phrase every bit as traditionally as the non-back-and-forth instruments such as pipes, flute, whistle, and the more fluid long-bow fiddle styles....of course, you can also listen to the bidirectional instrument players for note-break phrasing tips as well....

nyah? Which of these meanings (if any) do you mean? http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=nyah

Yes, cee. This is the sort of thinking I was inquiring about... what can fiddlers tell us about phrasing on the concertina? Links to allow us to quickly listen in to what you are listening to would be very appreciated.

As for me I have been listening for what the finger picking guitar blues guys can suggest about arrangements and accompaniment on the Anglo. For instance:

Mississippi Fred McDowell - Shake 'Em On Down

I've been trying (with some success) to achieve a sound somewhat like this kind of driving rhythm with off beat accents and a simple bass movement of only a few notes. Sounds a really cool groove on Anglo.