Showing off tune

LDT

so I know you've all got one what is it? What tune do you play if you want to show off your skills?

After many years I've decided that I'm never going to get rid of stage nerves, so if I have to play where I might be heard :ph34r: it can't be an amazing tune that I just learnt, it has to something that I've played for so long that I can detach all thought processes and look at the scenery and plan a supper menu or whatever while my fingers get on with playing.

One of the first tunes I ever mastered was Planxty Irwin so I often play that ...

Chrisj

Mine is Rosbif Waltz - I can do A, B, C? music (as played on Anglo International) & improvise a bit on the second time through. I must have played it a million times now - but I still love it!

so I know you've all got one what is it? What tune do you play if you want to show off your skills?

The tune I like to play (for the reasons mentioned by Spindizzy) is "Constant Billy". Bouncy, left and right hand working at the same time, and I rarely flubb it now.

The tune others like me to play in a session however is "Glise de Sherbrooke", learned from Jody K at the North East Concertina Workshop this spring. Like the little girl, however, when it's good it's very, very good, and when it's bad it's awful... :lol:

mine was shepherds hey...but I didn't practice it for a month and forgot how to play it.

so now my showoff tune is bobbie shaftoe...or will be once I polish it.

My favorites to play in public now are Bigg Market Lasses, O'Carolan's Draught, and Le Canal en Octobre. The first shows off how chromatic an EC is, the second shows how sweet it can sound, and the third I like to decorate a bit.

Showing off? Nah, just sharing one's super ninja music skillz. (Sorry, couldn't help that one...)

For fiddle I tend to do the Mason's Apron or Harvest Home, those aren't too hard but sound nice and have some fun string crossings that look and sound impressive.

On concertina I'm partial to Morrison's Jig and Drowsy Maggie played as a set.

But I just love to play those anyway, so that probably doesn't count.....

My favorites to play in public now are Bigg Market Lasses, O'Carolan's Draught, and Le Canal en Octobre. The first shows off how chromatic an EC is, the second shows how sweet it can sound, and the third I like to decorate a bit.

How do you decorate Le Canal en Octobre, Larry? Hang bits of tinsel from the ends of your tina, while you play it? :unsure: Seriously though, nice tune and how do you decorate it it? My favourites to play at the mo, are 'The Sweetness of Mary' a lovely strathspey and the Swedish 'Ganglat fran Appelbo' followed by 'Will you Patch my Pants for me?'

Chris

My party piece for years was the Hen's March to the Midden. I played it successively in G, D, and A.

These in turn represented the Cockerel, the hens, and the little chickens.

I stopped playing it in public as a party piece when several people said they really could not stand that tune!

- nothing to do with my playing they quickly added as an afterthought.

- John

The Jolly Beggarman falls very handily on the C/G anglo, played mostly on the middle row, lots of nice F nats - easy peasy, lemon squeezy.. but I'm not really a show off - prefer to just make good music :)

Edited by tombilly

For a single note tune with a few dabs of accompaniment I play Sir Sydney Smith's March. For something that others can join in but with lots of possibilities for chords and drones, All in a Garden Green. For a unusual rhythms and chords, The Waterman's Hornpipe. For a slow air, Quendale Bay.

All usually on a G/D anglo.

Howard

Slowish tunes, to stay within the limits of what skill I have. Actually, my intent is to show off the concertina to the best of my ability.

Anglo: "Down by the Sally Gardens", with decorated melody and full chords, slightly different chords each time. (In C on a C/G). Sound clip here.

Crane: "Home, Sweet Home" in G major. Full harmonies, with an intro and outro and some bass runs (if you can call something played andante a run ;) )

Cheers,

John

Dunno about "showing off tune" but whenever I get out the english I try to start my knobbly fingers moving with "Roses of Picardy". Very "chordy" and in Bb - reminds me where the buttons are and shows if the brain is up for it that day!. Tony.