Showing off tune

LDT

"Scipios' March", lifted from AI and transposed to the left hand, 'cause I like it that way.

Gee, wish I could master "Rosbif Waltz." It still eludes me.

Edited by Robert Booth

"Scipios' March", lifted from AI and transposed to the left hand, 'cause I like it that way.

Gee, wish I could master "Rosbif Waltz." It still eludes me.

Hmm . . . I'm playing it in Dm on a C/G anglo which seems to make the left hand accompaniment much easier. Not sure what key Alan plays it - probably Am? I tried this first, found it quite tricky and immediately transposed!

My new show-off tune for G/D? Monck's March - which I can play at a jaunty angle.

Mmm...there's just something about that tune that won't settle into the brain.

The left hand still can't figure out what the right is doing <_<

I've often wondered just what it is that makes one tune leap immediately into ones' repertoire and another, not necessarily any more difficult or complex, stay just out of reach.

I assume that this is what influences our choices as to what to use as our "show-off tune", the ability to play it in a social setting without having to labor over it too much,and still be able to keep some kind of contact with the folks who are listening.

It's a pretty good indication of where I'm at, skill-wise:the tune still tells me what to do, not the other way round.

Maybe I'll go take a shot at The Glin Cottage Polkas; I can get quite a ways through that one before things go south.

Cheers,

Rob

so I know you've all got one what is it? What tune do you play if you want to show off your skills?

Depends on the context.

If I want to play it safe, Orange in Bloom. I heard Jody Kruskal do it at the first NE concertina workshop, and I couldn't believe how a tune I'd played for years for dancers could be a wonderful concert piece. I've been trying to emulate it ever since.

If I'm daring: one of Brian Peters medleys from Anglophilia. They're all great, but I love playing the one that begins with The Nymph.

If I want to show off mindlessly in front of people who don't know much about music: a fast oldtime tune like Puncheon Floor or Cold Frosty Morning. Or Liza Jane, changing keys each time thru. Extremely easy to play in a way that impresses the uninformed. And open to endless variations.

Soon, real soon, John K's Canone Cannelloni