Good Wheatstone Anglo on Ebay

dave shapiro

I've just listed this pre-war Wheatstone anglo on ebay. Item number: 190315378936

Metal ends, steel reeds in dovetailed frames - one of the better ones.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...alenotsupported

I've just added 2 recordings of this concertina to the ebay listing. Recorded today in my kitchen; the player is a friend, who wants to remain anonymous.

All the best,

Dave

Edited by dave shapiro

I've just added 2 recordings of this concertina to the ebay listing. Recorded today in my kitchen; the player is a friend, who wants to remain anonymous. No e.q. or f.x., only natural kitchen reverb!

Tell your friend he/she's got very nice phrasing! First tune is The Skylark, second is Leitrim's Fancy (I think), the jig version of Sword in Hand?

warcorresponent - oh, sorry - p.m. = personal message. to do that, you click on my user name on this forum, scroll to the bottom of my profile page, and click "send message".

alternatively, you could send me a message on ebay. also click on my user name there.

azalin - i'll pass on the compliment. thanks for the names too. i knew that was the skylark - i play that tune! - just didn't occur to me at the time. i wasn't intending using those as file names, just forgot they would appear like that on box.net.

Sold for $3050 US, which seems rather low for a pre-WW2 Wheatstone Anglo. Any idea why? Is it because the serial numbers for the ends and reed pans don't match? Or is there something that I'm missing here?

Daniel

I've just listed this pre-war Wheatstone anglo on ebay. Item number: 190315378936

Metal ends, steel reeds in dovetailed frames - one of the better ones.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...alenotsupported

I've just added 2 recordings of this concertina to the ebay listing. Recorded today in my kitchen; the player is a friend, who wants to remain anonymous.

All the best,

Dave

Could the recession finally be catching up with conertinas? In another thread I found myself wondering at what seems to me to be a low price for a Jones G/D.

Chris

These instruments with suspected mixed heritage or even suspect heritage do tend to attract fewer people and hence lower prices. The perspex buttons and 8-fold bellows would suggest a South African history. The only Wheatstone instrument I've had from this era was a lovely instrument (and sold for a lot more) so I suspect someone may have got a deal - but not a sleeping Linota!

Edited by Paul Read

Hmmmmmm... 80 - fold bellows eh? Well, there was a circus performer once who commissioned a concertina from Crabbs with bellows he could skip over. I think he tripped on the first outing, fell on the instrument and broke it! good for very long chords though...

Hmmmmmm... 8 - fold bellows eh? Well, there was a circus performer once who commissioned a concertina from Crabbs with bellows he could skip over. I think he tripped on the first outing, fell on the instrument and broke it! good for very long chords though...

Oops! I did see a photo once of a performer who did just that. My mistake this time though...

Edited by Paul Read