Other People's Reactions

Just wondering what kind of reactions you get from other people, regardng playing concertina?

I have been met with a mix of support and ridicule. I think the ridicule comes from a bit of ignorance about the instrument (some people don't really know what it is and think only of accordians) but also perhaps a bit of surprise that I am playing it. I am in my 30s so perhaps people think it funny that, after a non-musical life thus far, I have suddenly become obsessed with concertinas.

So, yes, just wondering what reactions you all get, or got when you first started playing?

Just wondering what kind of reactions you get from other people, regardng playing concertina?

I have been met with a mix of support and ridicule. I think the ridicule comes from a bit of ignorance about the instrument (some people don't really know what it is and think only of accordians) but also perhaps a bit of surprise that I am playing it. I am in my 30s so perhaps people think it funny that, after a non-musical life thus far, I have suddenly become obsessed with concertinas.

So, yes, just wondering what reactions you all get, or got when you first started playing?

:D Usually people are friendly and interested, older people often smile and say that they had an old uncle or other relative who used to play concertina and how pleasant it is to see one played again while younger ones have often never seen one before and want to know how it works :D I usually show them how to play a scale (telling them it's like playing a mouth organ but with your fingers, pull push instead of suck blow pet :lol: ) and they go away pleased and happy :D

First started playing: North Florida in the mid-60's, amused looks, threats of violence (why I sat behind the school bus driver). There were other kids forced into accordion lessons so, I wasn't the only wingnut roaming around.

Maybe four years ago one of the professors at the job site asked me "where's your monkey?" My response, "same place yours it."

The students are all used to me walking around with the black box, and if they've been on campus any time at all they've seen me out in front of the chapel on a nice day playing. I'm very comfortable with my tacking against the wind nature. People don't even give it a second look, other than to smile and say hello even if they don't know me...

Because I'm odd, students actually engage me in conversation. That's the battle...a conversation rather than a lecture.

Edited by Mark Evans

Most reactions are quite positive - at least, until I begin to play. :P

In the Upper Midwest, concertinas are few and far between, and most people have neither seen nor heard one. People are quite curious and interested, admire the appearance of my metal-ended 1915 Wheatstone and are impressed with its sweet musical sound and range. In our local sessions, I have worked up many duets with a clarinet/oboe player which my friends enjoy.

I began playing the English concertina at age 44, and learned to read music at the same time. I'm still playing - and learning - at age 71. :D

First started playing: North Florida in the mid-60's, amused looks, threats of violence (why I sat behind the school bus driver). There were other kids forced into accordion lessons so, I wasn't the only wingnut roaming around.

Maybe four years ago one of the professors at the job site asked me "where's your monkey?" My response, "same place yours it."

The students are all used to me walking around with the black box, and if they've been on campus any time at all they've seen me out in front of the chapel on a nice day playing. I'm very comfortable with my tacking against the wind nature. People don't even give it a second look, other than to smile and say hello even if they don't know me...

Because I'm odd, students actually ingage me in conversation. That's the battle...a conversation rather than a lecture.

You really look the part Mark. I'm partial to waistcoats myself and have a rather nice Victorian Albert too, which keeps good time despite the limitations of fusee action.

Ian

You know it is almost always complimentary. I have had the neighbor from across the ditch walk over with his bit of a dog looking to see who was playing the harp (harmonica) so well. My brother-in-laws father was all excited once because I knew old cowboy songs. A young black woman at work came up and complimented me on how well a played various sacred songs. Just three incidents, but each was special.

Alan

Usually people are friendly and interested, older people often smile and say that they had an old uncle or other relative who used to play concertina and how pleasant it is to see one played again while younger ones have often never seen one before and want to know how it works :

I get the same mixed reaction, but find it is really senior citizens I come across who remember a grandparent or great-grandparent as the last person they knew who played a concertina. The anglo definitely "skipped" a few generations here. People my age and younger have reactions ranging from mild amusement to keen interest in the instrument itself and the idea of me playing one (I had almost no musical training or background and didn't start until I was almost 55).

I haven't been able to play mine out in public much, but most people are curious and interested in it and like to hear it (the instrument, not exactly my playing of it....)

Probably the most memorable response was from a very dear friend who had played accordion for years in bands and on the radio. She knew I had wanted to get one, and when I finally did I took it to her house. She held it in her lap, ran her hands over the bellows, touched the buttons, nodded in satisfaction and then handed it back to hear me play it. I did a few tunes I knew she liked and she was very pleased, but then added, "This is very nice, but are you going to get a real accordion after you learn how to play this? I hope you didn't settle for a concertina because you thought accordions were too expensive?"

In any case, I think she was pleased that I'd finally got my head on straight and started playing a free reed instrument (even thought it wasn't a "real" accordion) after playing around with strings for so long. :lol: She opted out of trying to play it, which might have been for the better.....she probably could have been playing incredible stuff 10 minutes after first touching the thing. :blink:

I'll never forget that.

The usual reaction,no matter what I am playing,people get their hankies out and start doing a mock Morris Dance.

How annoying is that?

Al

At least they still know what Morris is. Let's hope that remains so.

Ian

"...Is that an... accordion?" Mostly is what I get. No Morris Dancing references, living here in "The States" as I do. Some people who associate concertinas with Pirates. I don't mind as much the sailor-concertina-sea shanty connection, just I try to educate people that it's not a "pirate" instrument.

I've had little children want to touch it.. which I now try and not let them touch it. The standard, if a friend wants to hold it, "If you pull or push the bellows be sure to push a button---any button---in."

It's always fun when a person with little singing talent wants to sing, and have me play along... "And what key are you singing in?" Ya know, let me give you a starting note so we're not playing/singing at odds with each other. ;)

But the reaction is usually positive. Of course as a large adult who can look unfriendly if pushed, I haven't gotten any negative criticism really.

---

Patrick

You really look the part Mark. I'm partial to waistcoats myself and have a rather nice Victorian Albert too, which keeps good time despite the limitations of fusee action.

Off topic, I know, but I have a nice Georgian Verge PW, still in working order Ian, but lack a suitable waistcoat!

Chris

People leave the room. Or give me a whithering look when I say for the hundredth time 'I'll get it right this time....just let me start again'

Edited by LDT

Off topic, I know, but I have a nice Georgian Verge PW, still in working order Ian, but lack a suitable waistcoat!

Chris

And you would look great in one Chris. Off to the shops you go (I hope).

Ian

I know I play horribly, but still get nothing but positive responses (except from the wife who has to put up with it endlessly)

Maybe the people with negative responses are just being nice by not saying anything.

Young children are the most fascinated by it, they stare as soon as they come into range and look back as their parents pull them along until out of sight...but then, I am dressed as a pirate.

The most memorable was at a fund raiser for the local zoo during the Halloween season. I was playing mostly sea songs and decided to do the song which the Tin man, Scarecrow and Cowardly lion sang in the Wizard of Oz. You know "If I only had a brain" or a heart or whatever they needed (Brain in my case)

Anyway the cutest little girl, not over 2 years I'm sure, ran up to me and told me that song came from her favorite movie. I asked her a few questions and was impressed with her knowledge of such an old classic so I played Somewhere Over The Rainbow for her. She smiled up at me through the whole thing (Even with me missing a couple of notes) and when I was done, she promptly shouted "That's the song Dorothy sang." and then thanked me.

I nearly wept. I have since kept that song in my practice.

The general responses I get are positive. Oh a few of my friends rag me, but they would rag me regardless of what instrument I play. My wife actually enjoys my playing... and in fact it impressed her enormously on our second date that I played for her.

I do occasionally have to help people understand that a concertina is not an accordion, but is in fact a related instrument. Of course in general it helps that around Baltimore and DC, where I do most of my public playing, that there is a fairly large Irish Music community and while the Anglo Concertina community is not too large (despite having two concertina makers in MD), most Irish musicians accept the concertina as part of the Tradition. Shoot, one band usually invites me up to play a few tunes with them when I go to hear them play at the pub.

--

Bill

I live in London and would have thought folks would be more open-minded but I have been met with lots of laughter. It doesn't bother me, but I am curious about it. I work with university students and today told one of them about it - he could not believe it and couldn't stop laughing. When I asked why he said it was the image of me playing it. It is the contrast of me with that particular instrument which is funny, apparently!

Mostly people are quite accepting. They may wonder at my finding such an odd instrument, but those who knwo me expect nothign else ;) They may ask if it isn't a bit liek an accordion, and I explain the similarities and differences briefly. Including the fact that mine is a Duet, can play bass and chords on the left side, but I have to make up my own chords, unlike the u-no-what.

I don't get any of the jokes or ethnic remarks that the "other" squeezebox usually elicits.

One time the person asked "English or Anglo?" and I was impressed. Had to explain Duet to him anyway :P

If they ask what sort of music I play on it (isn't that pretty commjon?), I say Celtic and AMerican traditional msuck, ragtime, hymns,classical, jazz ... really, anything.

BTW, I'm impressed that anyone in ENgland still knwos about Morris dancing. Here in the Colonies the only folk who know about contra dancing are those who do it!

--Mike K.