Wheatstone On Ebay

Paul Read

Dave, I have personally seen several Wheatstone anglo concertinas in the last few years from the 1950's that are in mint condition. Some of the concertinas were placed on mantlepieces (above fireplaces that are not used) and they are placed there for decoration purposes...relics of some grandparent or parent who bought these concertinas....loved them...but never got around to playing them. The concertina mentioned above does look nice.

Dave, I have personally seen several Wheatstone anglo concertinas in the last few years from the 1950's that are in mint condition. Some of the concertinas were placed on mantlepieces (above fireplaces that are not used) and they are placed there for decoration purposes...relics of some grandparent or parent who bought these concertinas....loved them...but never got around to playing them. The concertina mentioned above does look nice.

Hi Ben,

A very rare in Aus to see such a thing... I have only come across one, a 20 key Jones that was 'grandad's' sitting on a piano, and it wasn't in mint condition. Maybe one day I will find such a treasure and see if they want to part with it...

sigh.... we can only dream.... :(

Dave

Ya know, those people who have "found" concertinas in their family, and manage to make several thousands of dollars off of a sale, are pretty lucky. But I think, luckier still, are those who manage to get a good quality instrument and play it.

It thrills me to no end when I see auctions, and hoping that they end up going to someone who plays. I'll admit it does sadden me to think of people purchasing them just to put them in a glass case somewhere, but as someone pointed out these people may be saving them for the next generation of players 50 years from now when they pass on.

Still... use them, play them, enjoy them! That's what these were made for, after all!

A word of warning for ebay sellers. This sale completed successfully on Sunday. By Sunday evening the winner decided to pull out with no sensible reason. It is the first time, other than scams, that this has happened to me and it is interesting to see where it leaves you. Basically, you're on the hook for the fees unless you agree to mutually cancel the contract. You can leave it for 7 days and start a dispute procedure but you are still on the hook until it is resolved (up to 60 days). So you lose money by having to go to the lower bidder (who usually thinks it's a scam and ignores you!), you can't re-list without letting the time waster off the hook and if you need the money fast, you are screwed. In addition, the honest bidders are thwarted. The worst that can happen to the timewaster is that they get a black mark against them in Ebay's books and nobody else knows about it. You could give bad feedback but then you get it yourself. They really should develop a fairer system. All the more reason for caution on ebay.

Edited by Paul Read

Thanks for the info Paul. Sorry you have to go through that much s%it. Isnt that impossible now to leave a negative feedback no matter what when you're a seller? So it seems buyers who "pull the plug" can do it without being too much concerned, they can do it at least once or twice I imagine.

Some people refer to eBay fees, but they're only around 60 cents if you put some extra pictures and nothing else, is it such a big deal? (when it comes to eBay fees).

EDIT: Oops I just realized you mean you have to pay the ~3% fees on a sold item... but by the time you need to pay it, you'll have won the dispute and won't need to pay it won't you?

Edited by Azalin

It isn't three per-cent on EBay. I paid £67 on the sale of my twenty-button Linota that went for £1,035.

That's about 6.5%. I think that every time you revise your listing you pay the listing fee - including being charged again for photos.

EBay are sneaky feckers.

Well, one thing is certain, it doesnt seem to be the ideal time to sell stuff on eBay, or anywhere for that matter.

Rather than timing it's the people who have no scruples about wasting other people's time and money and the lack of control on ebay's part. Our friend has probably forgotten all about it already.

Edited by Paul Read

A word of warning foe ebay sellers. This sale completed successfully on Sunday. By Sunday evening the winner (xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, from Australia, ebay handle xxxxxxx (removed because ebay objected to a members name being quoted)) decided to pull out with no sensible reason. It is the first time, other than scams, that this has happened to me and it is interesting to see where it leaves you. Basically, you're on the hook for the fees unless you agree to mutually cancel the contract. You can leave it for 7 days and start a dispute procedure but you are still on the hook until it is resolved (up to 60 days). So you lose money by having to go to the lower bidder (who usually thinks it's a scam and ignores you!), you can't re-list without letting the time waster off the hook and if you need the money fast, you are screwed. In addition, the honest bidders are thwarted. The worst that can happen to the timewaster is that they get a black mark against them in Ebay's books and nobody else knows about it. You could give bad feedback but then you get it yourself. They really should develop a fairer system. All the more reason for caution on ebay.

Just another reason why I don't like to sell anything nice, or expensive on ebay. For me its just a way to find a buyer for stuff I need to get rid of, where the selling price is not important

Edited by Theo

If you sell at ebay many bidders may see your ad and they may place bids. If they don't know the seller the threshold to withdraw a bid may be lower. If you are one of those bidders and you start being suspicious about a seller, you can take back your bid on ebay and I think that that is okay, especially if the amount is high, although I don´t really like to take back bids. But let´s say your son is 12 years old and places a bid of 4000 UKP and you find out that your son bids 2 monthly salaries on some weird instrument, you may tell your son to take back this bid, and I would be very happy to have that possibility. To bad for the seller...

Maybe these bid retractions could be avoided more or less if bidding would not have been made so easy on ebay, again, especially if the amounts are high.

But it is the psychology ebay uses, telling us: `come on people, place bids, do it, do it now, you have been outbid, don´t be too late to place a higher bid again, bid more so you won´t be outbid, the auction is almost finished, you only have two hours to go, etcetera, etcetera. It is part of the formula to bring more money to ebay. The higher the end bid, the more the amount is that ebay takes. It seems to be more important to ebay to invite you to place bids and bring buyers and sellers together, than to take care that bids are serious. Part of it that negative feedback is being discouraged by ebay.

Aaahrg, playing a tune makes me more happy then thinking about this...

=======================

Edited to remove references to actual ebay members

Edited by marien

If I understand correctly, the problem here isnt that a buyer retracted his bid, it's that he won and didnt pay. Those are different problems. At least, if he would have removed his bid, it would have been easier for Paul to settle the matter.

Thanks to our friend I have now re-listed on ebay. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Beautiful-Wheatstone...%3A1|240%3A1318

If you are interested please contact me by e-mail or PM. I also have another instrument that is almost identical and a 40-button 1950s Wheatstone ready to go.

Edited by Paul Read