Paypalsucks.com

I recently bought a mobile phone over the net. I sent the money via Paypal

The seller told me the money was on hold and she'd send the phone when the money was in her account.

I never got the phone. I filed a dispute, then a claim. I never heard another word.

I am still waiting for Paypal to send me a refund. The seller won't answer emails.

Paypal won't answer emails. I did a search for anti-Paypal sites and came up with these:

www.paypalsucks.com

www.aboutpaypal.org

www.paypalwarning.com

I am sure there are other payment methods. I am going to use those other methods

whenever I can. I am disgusted with Paypal and I'm sure there are many of us who are.

Let's be creative. Let's not use Paypal.

Open a dispute with both paypal and ebay and give it time.

My son made an unfortunate purchase, a mountain bike that arrived with a bent frame - we raised disputes, provided evidence and won the dispute but the seller had emptied their account so there was no money to refund. 9 months later Paypal had continued their bad debt pursuit and we got a full refund.

good luck,

P

www.paypalsucks.com

www.aboutpaypal.org

www.paypalwarning.com

I am sure there are other payment methods. I am going to use those other methods

whenever I can. I am disgusted with Paypal and I'm sure there are many of us who are.

I know paypal has considerable problems in dealing with things that go wrong. Those 3 paypal critical sites are hardly independent though, they are all fronts for www.merchantinc.com/ which is selling an alternative service, so that needs to be taken into account when viewing what they have to say.

eBay? Paypal? No thanks.

Here in Australia, they tried to introduce a system whereby Paypal was the only means of payment permitted on eBay. The Government put a stop to that one...at least temporarily.

I can't think of any other transaction where the buyer has the ultimate decision as to the means of payment.

Except perhaps busking....considering the listener to be the "buyer" of the entertainment provided.

As an aside, years ago when I used to busk regularly, apart from coins, I can recall being given some very strange "payments", including a tin of cat food and a pair of ladies' tights. Make of that what you will... :blink: ;) :(

MC

I have had a brainwave!

How about including a handling charge with a listing then wiving it if the buyer does not want to use Paypal?

I get the feeling eBay wouldnt like that and would not allow you to do this, but it's just a guess.

Hopefully Google Checkin will become popular enough. Sometimes you gotta fight evil with evil :-)

what does any of this have to do with concertinas?

Hi Dick

Nothing at all if you don't have an interest in buying or selling one. However with the active interest in the International auctions, and the private transactions in the buy and sell forum, I would think alternative means of money transfers would be an interesting enhancement, so when the time comes to upgrade and sell my existing concertina there could be a few alternatives to the high cost of an Ebay/Paypal only option.

Thanks

Leo

Edited by Leo

'Handling charges' are common enough in regular commerce in relation to payments by credit card/ laser, partic. mail order. It's a bit of a grey area, as generally the merchant (retailer) agrees (with the credit card companies) to charge the same price irrespective of whether the customer wants to pay by cash or plastic. This is important from the credit card peoples view as they don't want to be disadvantaged. However it costs the merchant to take payments by plastic so you'll often see a 'handling charge' added to compensate. It's also why if you are buying directly from a store, you might ask if it would be cheaper to pay by cash. 'Illegal', as per above but attractive to the retailer! As far as I can see, the credit card companies and the public seem to accept the idea of 'handling fees' these days.

It's a myth BTW, that banks and credit card companies make most of their money from people not settling their bills in time - they only make on a proportion of these, as prudent people pay in time and others have to be written off. However they score every time at the merchant end of things - a fixed percentage of each sale plus terminal costs etc.

I disconnected PayPal from access to my bank account. This means that Paypal

can't freeze my bank account, which seems to have been a common complaint.

This also means I am "unverified." I can deal with that if I buy something expensive and pay via Paypal.

In that case I would offer a Paypal deposit and pay the rest by check or bank transfer.

Paypal isn't really as safe as using a credit card since Paypal only recovers refunding

from the seller's Paypal account. This assumes that the seller has money in the account.

The credit card issues you a charge-back while they investigate the claim,

which is much safer and is immediate though perhaps not permanent.

My card company has been much more responsive than Paypal in the event of a dispute.

'Handling charges' are common enough in regular commerce in relation to payments by credit card/ laser,

partic. mail order. It's a bit of a grey area, as generally the merchant (retailer) agrees (with the credit card

companies) to charge the same price irrespective of whether the customer wants to pay by cash or plastic.

This is true but it hasn't stopped Ryanair from levying handling charges on all transactions

carried out by any credit card except their own.

I suppose that with EBay and PayPal you could say, "In certain cases a handling fee will be charged,"

and then explain by email that this would apply to Paypal transactions.

This is a good one: someone tried to pay me for bit of motorbike using Paypal; the first I knew of it was an email from him asking why I hadn't claimed the money yet. Now read on. This is just what I got from Paypal but with my original message cut and pasted to the top for your convenience...

"Original Message Follows:

------------------------

Form Message

customer subject: My Ebay shows a payment 'being processed' by Paypal

but when I click on show details it invites me t

customer message: Additional Information: 'I have a sold an item on

Ebay; checkout is completed, 'My Ebay' shows an hourglass indicating

that the payment is being processed. If I click on 'show Paypal

transaction' I am told I have received a Paypal payment and invited to

open an account; clearly I don't need to do that as I have already got

one. If I then log in from that page my account shows no trace of the

payment. I have not had an email telling me to accept a payment either.

The purchaser is asking where his money has got to.

What is going on please?

David Gardiner AKA Sheptosteptoe.'

Dear David Gardiner,

Please do not reply to this email. This mailbox is not monitored and we

are not able to respond to inquiries sent to this e-mail address. If

you still need assistance please log in to your PayPal account.

Hello my name is Judith, I am sorry to hear about the situation

regarding unable to send payment for eBay item, and understand your

frustration and concern over this issue. I am happy to assist you with

your questions.

We apologize for the delay in our reply. We are dealing with an

unusually large number of email enquiries at the moment. Rest assured

that we do care about your business and we are working as hard as

possible to address all your concerns promptly.

The situation that you have experience is a know issue on PayPal. We are

currently having connection error problem between eBay and PayPal. We

are currently working on the solution and we appreciate your

understanding and patience. The workaround here for you to pay your eBay

item is to directly pay using your PayPal account. Follow the

instruction below.

To send money for an eBay item from your PayPal account, please complete

the following steps:

1. Log in to your account at https://www.paypal.com/.

2. Click the "Send Money" tab.

3. Click the "Pay for eBay items" subtab.

4. In the Action column, click the "Pay" button.

5. Review your purchase details and click "Continue."

6. Review the details of the payment including the "Payment Method."

If the payment you are sending exceeds the amount of funds in your

PayPal account, you can click the "More Funding Options" link to change

the source of funds for the payment.

· To change your "Shipping Information" to where you want the

merchandise to be sent, click the "Change" link. Please Note: Buyers are

prompted to provide sellers with a confirmed shipping address when

making a purchase. If you would like the merchandise sent to an

unconfirmed shipping address, we suggest that you contact the seller

directly to provide any additional confirmation they may require.

7. Click "Pay" to complete the payment. To change any information,

click "Change." Please note: If you change your payment details, the

payment method will return to the default method of payment.

Please Note:

· If an eBay item is missing after clicking "refresh", please make

sure you have added all your eBay ID's by clicking on "Add Another

Account." If you still do not see the eBay item you wish to pay for, you

may go to your My eBay account to start the payment flow.

· To provide the most secure service as possible, you may be asked

to complete a Security Challenge. Simply type the characters you see in

the image into the blank field, without spaces.

We appreciate your patience and understanding regarding this matter, and

wish you continued success on PayPal.

Sincerely,

Judith

PayPal, an eBay Company

Copyright © 1999-2008 PayPal. All rights reserved.

Consumer advisory - PayPal Pte. Ltd., the holder of PayPal's stored

value facility, does not require the approval of the Monetary Authority

of Singapore. Users are advised to read the terms and conditions

carefully."

You'll note they told me how to pay money to someone, not how to collect an offered payment as I asked. I've forwarded it to my buyer; I hope he's still keen enough to fiddle about with all this.

Surely there is only one reason, and one alone, to put up with the pricey, dodgy and generally second rate service that Paypal supply, and that's for getting your money fast and quickly....what useless b*****ds, eh? And how can ebay insist you offer it when they can't make it work!

I recently bought a mobile phone over the net. I sent the money via Paypal

The seller told me the money was on hold and she'd send the phone when the money was in her account.

I never got the phone. I filed a dispute, then a claim. I never heard another word.

I am still waiting for Paypal to send me a refund. The seller won't answer emails.

Paypal won't answer emails. I did a search for anti-Paypal sites and came up with these:

www.paypalsucks.com

www.aboutpaypal.org

www.paypalwarning.com

Knock on wood; so far after about 2-3 dozen transactions over the past couple of years, I've had not a single problem with PayPal. Probably just jinxed myself.

As far as I know P.P & Ebay are the same outfit & Ebay seems to "go out of their way " to make you a P.P. user. I.e if I, as uk person tried to list items on " .ie " ( Irish ) version, I must have a P.P. a/c

I have had the most of 9 mths of fighting with Ebay to get a £40 chq credited ( for a £20.04 bill ). Cashed from my a/c Dec. 03- '07. Every email was asking for " a/c No," " date cashed ", "cashed where " etc EVEN THOUGH THE ANSWER WAS below, to 3. times. Some replies were askig abou the item sold & not payed for yet. others were about an item paid & not rec. yet. In the end I got the BBC ( Radio Ulster ) " ON Your Behalf " to move them. It took only 2 or 3 weeks. Has R.T.E no talk show for those kinds of problem I had a similar fight a few years ago with them & so wouldn't trust them with c/c details & always keep my a/c. +. Photocopies of the cashed chq. ( along with 8 pages of small, close type posted by rec. deliv. was no help. A stupid headless hammer without a shaft Cleared up the end of Aug. from @ Dec '07. Writing to the H. Q. in Switzerland solves nothing. It would appear the idea is to make it so difficult for you that you must use P.P. or c.c