Cnet Members

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to be picky but could you move me from the Scottish Central Belt to South West Scotland? Between that peninsula pointing to Ireland and the Scottish Mainland will be fine, as that's where I live (not in the sea, but on an island!).

Thank you

Samantha

Sorry to be picky but could you move me....

Well, if we all got picky, he'd have no end of work.

I, too, live on an island, not in the middle of the Jutland peninsula (but my member info does just say Denmark), but the dot is close enough to Silkeborg, where I've played for dancing.

It looks like none of my nearby Swedish squeeze friends are members of Concertina.net (at least not under their own names), so he doesn't have to worry about that.

With your wonderful morris web site?  Your dot is in the mail.

This prompted me to go and have a shufty at Clause's web site myself. I'm glad I did. It's always interesting to hear your own fok music through the ears of others, and Morris Open do a pretty respectable job of ours.

Nice one,

Chris

Ken_Coles Posted on Mar 2 2004, 08:57 PM

So where did I end up? I'm living in two places right now. Maybe I should see if I can spot my dot. 

According to the omniscient Concertina.net satellite, you were eastbound on I88 the day of the survey. Where would you like to be? Oahu is not an option.

Hey, how did you know I drove that way? I am happy to be in Mass. or wherever you put me, as long as I can keep playing concertina! :)

My, many clever wits here, as always...

Welcome Claus,

And to think, you have doubled your postings to Cnet with this thread alone! I love your web site. Thanks for including info on where it is in your profile.

And a big thank you to Stephen for giving people an incentive to update their profiles and add their geographic locations. Always fun to check out where people are from when you get to liking them through their postings.

Helen

...incentive to update their profiles and add their geographic locations. Always fun to check out where people are from...

Now wouldn't it be nice if we could only search for individuals based on their location,... or type of instrument, or something more than just their name?

Funny thing is that if I use the setting "Search All Available", the search returns the entire list, no matter what string I give it to search on.

What isthe point of that option? (Of course, I should be saying this under Forum Questions....)

I'm also old and new, and in two places! I've been a member of Concertina.net more or less since it started, and did join the old message system, but didn't until now join the new forum system.

I'm currently in California (Redlands - 70 miles down the I 10 from LA). The location is subject to change. I'm on an H1B (temporary non-immigrant shortage worker) visa, so my wife can't work here and we may return to the UK (Cambridge) in a couple of years.

I play English, and having moved to the uncivilised USA in December, am feeling the lack of local support groups (its a long way back to go to Chiltinas meetings!).

Is anyone else here in Southern California?

--

http://www.paulhardy.net/paul/

Although the map has probably enjoyed its appropriate amount of time in the sun, I am preparing an update for the following reasons:

Many people have updated their profiles or contacted me with new information. I was gratified and owe them their dots.

I was seriously mistaken in dismissing those with fewer than 5 postings. Among the very many serious players lumped in with the transients were, for example, Wim Wakker and a member of the Crabb family.

Just a little digging into posts recovers most information. The number of members represented will be more complete.

Yes, I can pretty much break it out by Anglo/English/Duet and the combinations thereof.

I have just finished a crash course in UK geography.

So, if you fear you won't be represented and want to be, or have suggestions, you have a small window of opportunity to email me or post. I don't think I'm going back through the profiles again, however.

I'm also old and new, and in two places! I've been a member of Concertina.net more or less since it started, and did join the old message system, but didn't until now join the new forum system.

Is anyone else here in Southern California?

Paul,

Yes, we can be few and far between here, and parts of California and New England have more players that most other areas. Jim Swope in Long Beach knows most everyone and used to host get togethers now and then. I crashed one when visiting my parents, which I do perhaps twice a year (they are in Pasadena -- nearly as smoggy as your area). Dennis Kiick used to be in Claremont, but I haven't been in touch with him in a while. Jim and Dennis both play anglo - I'm not sure if I've ever run into an English player around there. Both were members of the old forum and are signed up for the current system, though I haven't seen them around here recently.

You could probably set up shop as the first teacher of EC around there. If I were nearby I'd sign up for lessons with my Lachenal treble! ;)

Hard to tell where the Washington/Oregon and Oregon/Calif borders are

I am 50 miles inland from the coast and 5 miles north of the Calif Border

Paul Hardy :

I moved from Monterey to Redlands 95-97 before moving to Oregon

Interesting town...

I was going to School in Yucaipa and playing the box...

There is a Scottish shop downtown where they teach pipes.. perhaps they could lead you to other free reed players

Also there is a great banjo player in town playing hybrid clawhammer

Pete Roehling who has been there for donkies ages..intersting character as well'

has a web site I believe

Jeff

Thanks for the welcome and information about my current locality.

Just before we came out here I found my fingers seemed to home in on "off to California" as a tune to play for practice! I'd better start looking for some other Californian tunes now I'm here.

Paul.

I'd better start looking for some other Californian tunes now I'm here.

One my parents used to sing was "California here I come," but the next line -- "Right back where I started from" wouldn't be right for you.

How about playing the music hall song "Lily of Laguna" down in/on Laguna Beach?

A quick search on Mudcat turned up 60 songs with "California" in them, 5 with "Los Angeles". and 1 with "Pasadena", but none with "Redlands". :( Maybe you'll find something appropriate there.

Oh right, "Spansil Hill". That song might be just right. :)

For tunes with "California" in the names, JC's ABC tune match gave 155 matches, though there are lots of duplicates.