What's Your Favourite

LDT

Is it the tune which I enjoy playing the most, challenges me the most, relaxes me? It could be any of these, depending on my mood.

You've hit the source of the question there....is it the challenge or relaxation that makes a tune a favorite?

I have several tunes that are favourites for different reasons:

"I lost my love and case not" - has lovely sounding chord when played on the Baritone.

"Brigham's" - because it's a challenge to make it flow in places and a buzz when it works.

"Shine on you crazy diamond" - it's nice to confuse people by playing Pink Floyd on the anglo.

"Moving cloud" - great for carefully speeding up and grinding bodhran players into the dust.

There's probably a lot more that only come to mind when you're not thinking about them, and then you sometimes just find the perfect tune for the moment comes unbidden.

Robin Madge

I have several tunes that are favourites for different reasons:

"I lost my love and case not" - has lovely sounding chord when played on the Baritone.

"Brigham's" - because it's a challenge to make it flow in places and a buzz when it works.

"Shine on you crazy diamond" - it's nice to confuse people by playing Pink Floyd on the anglo.

"Moving cloud" - great for carefully speeding up and grinding bodhran players into the dust.

There's probably a lot more that only come to mind when you're not thinking about them, and then you sometimes just find the perfect tune for the moment comes unbidden.

Robin Madge

Have you got an arrangement of Crazy Diamond to share, or do you just busk it? Must give it a try!

Right now, the first tune I play when I sit down is almost always

Nuages, by Django Reinhardt, followed by the strathspey

Waukin’ o’ the Fauld, which has captivated me since I first heard it 25 years ago by fiddler Johnny Cunningham. After that?

Gaelic Waltz from harpist Alan Stivell, same time period for me. I’m working hardest on

Cocaine Blues from the Rev. Gary Davis, and on adding good accompaniments to

3 Breton Gavottes, from a transcription on the web by our own lildogturpy and

Miss the Mississippi (and you) from Jimmie Rodgers, though I’m copying the guitar version by Eric Schoenberg. It’s hard to stop…

Northumberland Air - Kathryn Tickell... but I will now.

Is it the tune which I enjoy playing the most, challenges me the most, relaxes me? It could be any of these, depending on my mood.

You've hit the source of the question there....is it the challenge or relaxation that makes a tune a favorite?

For me, its getting the tune to finally sound good in my hands. Current favorites are:

Eleanor Plunkett (Carolan tune)

Captain O'Kane (Carolan tune)

Gallagher's Frolics (jig)

Carolan's Farewell to Music (air)

Currently I enjoy playing 's Bettlmandl, which is definitly not a challenge but plays itself without me having to do anything. :blink:

Sebastian

Currently taking a rest from Irish reels on the Anglo and revisiting older English tunes. London Hornpipe and Sportsman's Hornpipe and Tom Tolley's Hornpipe . And arange of 3/2 Hornpipes.All in barry Callaghan's Hardcore English which has a double CD set too. Great stuff! I listen to all sorts of instruments and bands and learn by ear and ABC. playing fiddle a lot too and having a good time with mouth organ tunes.

Ain't retirement and kids grown up great!

so what's your favourite tune/song to play on the concertina?

As Peter T says, Difficult to name one.

I like to play, "Forsbergs Polkett" A Swedish tune. 'Cos I get to change rows for the B part.

But it's just one one of the ones that I can reasonably get my fingers around..

It's on my Cd. Might be on my site below. Can't remember. Have a look.

Edited to add.Yes it is.

Chas

Edited by fidjit

Currently taking a rest from Irish reels on the Anglo and revisiting older English tunes. London Hornpipe and Sportsman's Hornpipe and Tom Tolley's Hornpipe . And arange of 3/2 Hornpipes.All in barry Callaghan's Hardcore English which has a double CD set too. Great stuff! I listen to all sorts of instruments and bands and learn by ear and ABC. playing fiddle a lot too and having a good time with mouth organ tunes.

Ain't retirement and kids grown up great!

Stables (Grand) hornpipe goes well with Sportsmans

(dots/abc at the session )

Edited by spindizzy

HAHA! that would blow some minds. I played "Hotel California" on my Crane for a company barbeque, not my favorite.

I'd say "Scotland the Brave " is my favorite since its easy and works well with a C button drone and is one of the few songs I know!

I think the song I'm working on now, "Bonnie Kellswater" would beat out that one.

• 2 weeks later...