What's Your Favourite

LDT

My current favorites:

O'Carolan's Draught

Bigg Market Lasses (learned from the CD Border Directors, from the Blue Moon Band, in Am but very chromatic)

The Mathematician by Scott Skinner (uses the whole range of the EC)

Friendly Visit (a hornpipe)

Manor Royal March by Alan Day picked up from this list

Time of Day (a slip jig)

Belgian Breakfast also picked up from this list

Joys of Wedlock (a jig which is much easier to play on concertina than it is on fiddle)

Plus a whole bunch of others.

Hundred Pipers; Cock of the North; St. Anne's Reel -- on anglo...

Swallowtail Reel; Kesh Jig, O'carolan's Favorite Jig; Merrily Kised the Quaker -- on EC...

...because they're my most recent.

Edited by catty

On anglo concertina, the tune "Keelman's Petition" always felt fun to play. It fell under my fingers in a way that just felt amusing. I don't know how to explain it, really. It's the only tune I can think of that I somehow had a physical affinity for playing, as opposed to just liking the tune.

Current favorites on my EC: Scott Joplin's 'THE ENTERTAINER' (ragtime), 'YOSHKE YOSHKE' (klezmer), both played as duets with a clarinetist friend.

Anytime favorites: Jay Unger's 'ASHOKAN FAREWELL' (contemporary folk), good with guitar accompaniment; J. Pachelbel's 'CANON IN D' played as a quartet with keyboard, violin and double bass.

Sentimental favorites: Maireread Green's 'MAGGIE WEST'S WALTZ' (Scottish) because Maggie West was a dear friend, and O'Carolan's 'A FAREWELL TO WHISKY' (Irish) which I played over the West Highland grave of another dear friend.

Edited by yankeeclipper

so what's your favourite tune/song to play on the concertina?

The smart answer would be "The one I'm playing now" (if I could multi-task!).

In truth, the longer you've been playing, the harder it is to answer this question. Is it the tune which I enjoy playing the most, challenges me the most, relaxes me? It could be any of these, depending on my mood.

I remember that the late Peter Bellamy would always start a concert with "Aboard a 98", since I guess that it would relax both his audience and himself. I've often started with "Ty Coch Caerdydd", which I've been playing since before you were born (but still have to check the spelling!); probably for the same reason. But then I got this tune from Mick Tems and Pat Smith, and Mick no longer plays Anglo following a major stroke, so I feel I'm following the "tradition" of an Englishman playing a Welsh tune (although Mum was born an brought up in Wales). So; it's a personal connection.

Then there's "Prince of Denmark's March" which I started playing, in the key of "G", back in the mid 1980's. My performance of this, at the 1987 International Concertina Association Festival (in conjunction with the set piece) earned me marks of 95/100, and two trophies for one performance! However, the late Paul Davies said to me that he had discussed this tune with Roger Digby, and they concluded that the "right" key on a C/G Anglo was "F". It took until about two years ago for me to actually re-learn it if "F" (about a day to get my head around the process, two days to polish it up!). Guess what .... Paul and Roger were right; it sounds much better in "F" (or equivalent fingering on my Jeffries). So; again a personal connection.

Then there are two wonderfull tunes which I learned from Flos Headford; fiddle player with "Old Swan" and other celebrated bands of former years, and with whom I've shared a drink or several on more than one occasion :) . Oh, the tunes? "Lichfield Tattoo" (where I can swing the box - something Flos tried, and failed to do with the fiddle!) and an Appalachian version of "Soldiers Joy" which has most musicians scratching their heads, but is actually quite easy on a C/G Anglo. Must polish these up and record them.

"Summertime" popped out of my head just last week, and I find that very relaxing. On the other hand "When I'm 64" comes into the category of "on a good day, I really don't understand what the problem is; on a bad day, someone seems to have moved half of the notes"!!!! I would not like to attempt this with 30 buttons, since I would have to re-finger a passage that falls nicely under the fingers on my 36 key.

And so the list goes on, and I've added tunes from newer friends ...... :)

Peter.

At this very moment I'm locked in a loop of "John Ryan's Polka". I can't seem to stop it! One I constantly go back to is that beautiful fiddle tune...Baker's Waltz....written by the former fiddler for The Mammals. Oh, and Tip Top Hornpipe, and of course there's "Jenny Lind Polka" and....

Right now my fiddle and banjo are VERY angry with me because for the last 4 days it's been my EC all the time!