3600+ 78s Rpm As Mp3 Files

Guest HallelujahAl!

Guest HallelujahAl!

Hi, I know that this is not exactly concertina related but I've just come across the most amazing website. Description is as follows:

"The following is a list of over 3600 titles recorded from my collection of 78 rpm records. Many of them are linked to MP3 files and will play what was recorded. No sound enhancement, just what was recorded. I hope to eventually have all the titles linked to music files, though that might take a while. Right now, there are over 2,400 titles on this page linked to mp3's. "

It is a superb project - and nearly 2/3rds complete. Have a look and a listen!

3600+ old 78s on MP3 for download!!!

Hope you enjoy it as much as I am.

CaptainAL

Edited by HallelujahAl!

Hi, I know that this is not exactly concertina related but I've just come across the most amazing website. Description is as follows:

"The following is a list of over 3600 titles recorded from my collection of 78 rpm records. Many of them are linked to MP3 files and will play what was recorded. No sound enhancement, just what was recorded. I hope to eventually have all the titles linked to music files, though that might take a while. Right now, there are over 2,400 titles on this page linked to mp3's. "

It is a superb project - and nearly 2/3rds complete. Have a look and a listen!

3600+ old 78s on MP3 for download!!!

Hope you enjoy it as much as I am.

CaptainAL

Just been listening to Harry Lauder and a bit of jazz,nice way to start the day.Many thanks

I am hoping that the archive section of ICA will eventually recreate a similar site for archive recordings. I am happy to wait, but this should be their aim.

Al

I just dipped into "I want a hippopotamus for Christmas" ... great stuff"!! (Well, basically I have no taste, do I ?) :rolleyes:

I look forward to listening to more stuff later - thanks for the link.

Edited by Irene S

Guest HallelujahAl!

>>>Just been listening to Harry Lauder and a bit of jazz,nice way to start the day.Many thanks

I am hoping that the archive section of ICA will eventually recreate a similar site for archive recordings. I am happy to wait, but this should be their aim.

Al>>>>>

Yes, that'd be great. I was talking to someone the other day who told me about the possible existence of some 78rpm recordings of Salvation Army Concertina (band or soloist, I'm not sure). That'd be something I'd personally love to see archived. We really ought to get round to it - when I say 'we' I actually mean of course 'someone else' - though I'd love to get involved if poss.

CaptainAL

Yes, that'd be great. I was talking to someone the other day who told me about the possible existence of some 78rpm recordings of Salvation Army Concertina (band or soloist, I'm not sure). That'd be something I'd personally love to see archived. We really ought to get round to it - when I say 'we' I actually mean of course 'someone else' - though I'd love to get involved if poss.

CaptainAL

CaptainAL,

Are you aware of this thread?

MC

>>>I am hoping that the archive section of ICA will eventually recreate a similar site for archive recordings. I am happy to wait, but this should be their aim.

Al>>>>>

Well, join the ICA and then start shouting at people like me (or if you're a member of the ICA already, just start shouting). I am the webmaster for the ICA, and I would be happy to assist in the setting up of an online sound archive within the site, but it's not a piece of work I would be able to take the lead in. I have no knowledge of the legal ramifications, for instance, and I have other calls on my time. But I agree, it would be nice, and I shall start asking around the committee. Are there volunteers out there willing to assist?

Chris

>>>Just been listening to Harry Lauder and a bit of jazz,nice way to start the day.Many thanks

Al>>>>>

CaptainAL

Hallo Captain Al

I have been donated a couple of taped live recordings of the Plymouth Salvation Army Band and they will be on CD for a future project.

Al

>>>I am hoping that the archive section of ICA will eventually recreate a similar site for archive recordings. I am happy to wait, but this should be their aim.

Al>>>>>

Well, join the ICA and then start shouting at people like me (or if you're a member of the ICA already, just start shouting). I am the webmaster for the ICA, and I would be happy to assist in the setting up of an online sound archive within the site, but it's not a piece of work I would be able to take the lead in. I have no knowledge of the legal ramifications, for instance, and I have other calls on my time. But I agree, it would be nice, and I shall start asking around the committee. Are there volunteers out there willing to assist?

Chris

Chris the ICA would be OK to reproduce the live recordings,old 78s or recordings of them are out of copyright so that would be OK It is only the recent records and CDs that would be a copyright problem. Some of the records on the site mentioned in this thread seem fairly recent to me (or is it just me getting old) and some may have been re released,not sure about the legal problems there .With Concertina recordings however most of us know if there would be a copyright problem.

Sorry I cannot help Chris rather busy now on Duet Int.

Al

Guest HallelujahAl!

>>>Well, join the ICA and then start shouting at people like me (or if you're a member of the ICA already, just start shouting). I am the webmaster for the ICA, and I would be happy to assist in the setting up of an online sound archive within the site, but it's not a piece of work I would be able to take the lead in. I have no knowledge of the legal ramifications, for instance, and I have other calls on my time. But I agree, it would be nice, and I shall start asking around the committee. Are there volunteers out there willing to assist?

Chris >>>>>

Member, joined last year. I'll volunteer and perhaps send APB throughout SA in UK to see what recordings are available? Let me know.

CaptainAL

Guest HallelujahAl!

Al>>>>>

CaptainAL

Hallo Captain Al

I have been donated a couple of taped live recordings of the Plymouth Salvation Army Band and they will be on CD for a future project.

Al

AL that'd be great to listen to! Plymouth Congress Hall was of course noted for its concertina band. I'd also be hopeful of getting some soloists. There's a great guy, Major Idwal Evans (Retired) now living down in Leigh-on-Sea - though he spent a great deal of his officership in Africa, who is a superb concertinist (English). I'm considering the possibility of getting him to record a number of 'old time' SA solos. If only to preserve some of the music. As an aside (but one which has me thinking), I'm inviting concertina players (salvationists or not) to gather at my corps (Chesterfield, Derbyshire) before the year is out to form an impromptu band and to hopefully achieve two objectives: 1. raise some money for the work of the SA. and 2. raise awareness of the concertina within SA again. I'll be posting a general invite to all on this forum when I have a firm date.

CaptainAL

Guest HallelujahAl!

CaptainAL

CaptainAL,

Are you aware of this thread?

MC

Malcolm thanks for drawing this to my attention. The recordings are very interesting indeed, although my computer didn't seem to like a couple of them. What a shame however that there's no recording of any of the good old army music that Bramwell would have been brought up with. Just a few standard 'classics'. However, that shouldn't detract from the importance of having Archie Burgess and Bramwell actually on record!

God Bless

CaptainAL

Al>>>>>

CaptainAL

Hallo Captain Al

Al

AL that'd be great to listen to! Plymouth Congress Hall was of course noted for its concertina band. I'd also be hopeful of getting some soloists. There's a great guy, Major Idwal Evans (Retired) now living down in Leigh-on-Sea - though he spent a great deal of his officership in Africa, who is a superb concertinist (English). I'm considering the possibility of getting him to record a number of 'old time' SA solos. If only to preserve some of the music. As an aside (but one which has me thinking), I'm inviting concertina players (salvationists or not) to gather at my corps (Chesterfield, Derbyshire) before the year is out to form an impromptu band and to hopefully achieve two objectives: 1. raise some money for the work of the SA. and 2. raise awareness of the concertina within SA again. I'll be posting a general invite to all on this forum when I have a firm date.

CaptainAL

Capt Al - Pm me your Email address and I will send you a copy of a copy of "How Great Thou Art" recorded on my Zoom H4 it is not perfect, but I am sure you will appreciate it. It will need a lot of work before it goes out on CD. This is one of two recordings of this band sent to me by Peter Trimming and will eventually be donated to ICA.

Al

Al>>>>>

Chris

I believe the ICA did make a mini disc recording of Mildred Stringer of the Doncaster SA corps, where there was a surviving concertina quartet at the time (mid-1990's).

- John Wild

.............Yes, that'd be great. I was talking to someone the other day who told me about the possible existence of some 78rpm recordings of Salvation Army Concertina (band or soloist, I'm not sure). That'd be something I'd personally love to see archived. We really ought to get round to it - when I say 'we' I actually mean of course 'someone else' - though I'd love to get involved if poss.

CaptainAL

Hi Captain Al

This site has quite a few concertina mp3s scattered about. I'll bet there is something that would be of interest: http://www.regalzonophone.com/

It has a good search feature too

Thanks

Leo

Guest HallelujahAl!
.............Yes, that'd be great. I was talking to someone the other day who told me about the possible existence of some 78rpm recordings of Salvation Army Concertina (band or soloist, I'm not sure). That'd be something I'd personally love to see archived. We really ought to get round to it - when I say 'we' I actually mean of course 'someone else' - though I'd love to get involved if poss.

CaptainAL

Hi Captain Al

This site has quite a few concertina mp3s scattered about. I'll bet there is something that would be of interest: http://www.regalzonophone.com/

Thanks

Leo

Thanks thanks thanks, molto thanks - its wonderful this is my favourite, just listened to an army medley played by Burgess with piano accomp by the great Eric Ball!!! This is a wonderful place and really worth exploring!

Thanks AL

On that site, here's a direct link to Archie Burgess playing "A Salvation Medley: Calm is My Resting, My Burden, and I am Happy, Glad and Free" and here is Bramwell Thornett playing Glory to God in the Highest. For more concertina hymn playing I'd also recommend Robert Dawson's clips on YouTube.

Daniel

CaptainAL

Hi Captain Al

Thanks

Leo

Edited by Daniel Hersh