New Bellows

I am going to restore a metal ended Lachenal in the next few months - first step is a new bellows - I believe that C Dipper makes them and that they are available from concertina-spares and concertinaconnection and also - what is the general consensus as to the best quality? Are there any others worth considering?

Any info appreciated ;)

Thanks

I am going to restore a metal ended Lachenal in the next few months - first step is a new bellows - I believe that C Dipper makes them and that they are available from concertina-spares and concertinaconnection and also - what is the general consensus as to the best quality? Are there any others worth considering?

Any info appreciated ;)

Thanks

Willie van Wyk of South Africa makes excellent bellows comparable to Rosalie Dipper's bellows. (Phone him at +27-12-802-1104)

Email: iona@kleinfontein.net

Wim and Karen Wakker of the Concertina Connection makes good bellows (they are currently relocating from the Netherlands to the U.S.A. Check their website featured on C.net

Rosalie Dipper makes the best bellows from what I've seen. Concertina Connection come a very close second. The bellows made by David Leese at Concertina-spares.com are good value for money but are designed as an economical replacement bellows for less valuable instruments.

I've used bellows from all three with good results.

Edited by Theo

Rosalie Dipper makes the best bellows from what I've seen. Concertina Connection come a very close second. The bellows made by David Leese at Concertina-spares.com are good value for money but are designed as an economical replacement bellows for less valuable instruments.

Theo,

David Leese also makes and fits a top grade bellows as well as his medium & lower end range. Yesterday I took delivery of a tenor-treble (big frame) Aeola set, they really are good.

Dave

Edited by d.elliott

Rosalie Dipper makes the best bellows from what I've seen.

Sitting on my knee as I opened this thread was my Lachenal tenor/treble, restored by Colin Dipper 17 years ago and with replacement bellows by Rosalie at the same time. Rosalie's bellows are superb. I've not seen those of some of the other people mentioned but I've yet to play an instrument with bellows as good as those made by Rosalie Dipper. When my Wheatstone baritone needs new lungs, as it will do in a year or two, I know who I'll be asking to do the work.

I have heard that John Connors are as good as any for anglos

I've never played a concertina with Dipper bellows, but I would swear by my Connors bellows! They're made to Groff specifications if it makes any difference, but I find they have good stiffness without being too rigid, and I love the extra depth which allows for great overall volume with fewer folds.

-David

If you are adventurous and have some tools you can roll your own - Bob Tedrow has posted his clever instructions for making bellows on his web site - Bellows Making Instructions.

Any info appreciated ;)

Thanks

Out of interest , does anyone know a recent price for 8 fold Dipper bellows [ so as i can start saving]

Thanks.

That question should really be addressed to the Dippers themselves.

• Like 1