Dympna O'sullivan Launches Cd

Guest Peter Laban

Guest Peter Laban

I was sworn to secrecy about this for at least eight or nine months, the project was shelved for a while but at long last Lisseycasey woman Dympna O'Sullivan will launch her long overdue CD in the Templegate Hotel in Ennis Co.Clare on nov 8th at 20.00 hrs.

I had heard rumours since summer, but wonderful news. Dympna has a lovely touch on the concertina, and her settings of tunes are perfect to learn from. I had her as a tutor in 2006 at Eigse Mrs. Crotty, and she was one of the memorable players from the evening recital this past year.Watching her effortlessly execute triplets, and tight little rolls from the front row in the Teach Cheoil was amazing. Clare music on the concertina, what more can be said. I assume we should contact the usual suspects for purchasing this disc. Speaking of Lissycasey, any chance of Jack Talty in the studio?

I was sworn to secrecy about this for at least eight or nine months, the project was shelved for a while but at long last Lisseycasey woman Dympna O'Sullivan will launch her long overdue CD in the Templegate Hotel in Ennis Co.Clare on nov 8th at 20.00 hrs.

Guest Peter Laban
I assume we should contact the usual suspects for purchasing this disc.

I would suggest Custy's, they deal fair and square and pay a fair price for a CD when buying it from the musicians who put the work in and take the financial risk producing a CD. Not as common as you might think, I can tell you that much.

Dympna talked about the CD on Joan Hanrahan's program on monday, you may download that from www.clarefm.ie Joan played a few sample tracks.

Allright! It started 10 minutes ago :D

I'll look forward to hear it - I heard her at Mrs. Crotty's this year. Lovely, calm style.

/Henrik

Guest Peter Laban
hello Peter,

how canit be downloaded?

thanks for the hint

Dirk

Go to www.clarefm.ie and go to the trad music archive. Download monday's show but be quick, they are only archived for a week.

The CD is out there now. The launch is done and it was an exceedingly brilliant night. Dympna started off a half hour set of tunes from the CD with John Weir on the fiddle, Eoin O Neill on bouzouki and Geraldine Cotter on piano. After that a selction of the massive number of musicians present joined her among these concertina players Kitty Hayes, Ivonne Griffin, Una Grogan, Tom Carey, Tim Collins and loads of others. Wonderful music.

The CD's name is Bean chairdin, the woman's accordeon, the old name sometimes given to the concertina in Clare. And in fairness, the women player by far outshone the men on the night.

e77311d9.jpg

Edited by Peter Laban

Guest Peter Laban

LarryO and I did a bit of simultaneous posting there. :-)

Listening to the CD : she is also using her Bflat/F concertina, which she says is a Jeffries

Edited by Peter Laban

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Dymphna is a fabulous player. I have heard her at the Willie Clancy Week concertina concert twice. Chris Droney and I were also there. Chris expressed his opinion that she was the best & most traditional player on the stage, and had other great things to say about her playing. IMHO her ornamentation is applied with a certain restraint. In other words, the beauty of the melody is enhanced by her ornamentation. It is not there for its own sake. I can't wait to get my copy of the CD. Rich, do you have it, yet?