Something Fishy This Way Comes...

david robertson

Compare and contrast the description of this Edeophone, recently ended, with this Inimitable/Excelsior, newly listed.

Coincidence? Conspiracy? Or did this concertina-collecting grandfather get about a bit, considering that one item's in Oklahoma, and the other in New Jersey?

They both come from new sellers. The Edephone seller had one sale but it was from a long time ago - I'd be worried about hijacked account there. The Excelsior is a zero sale seller .... both auctions might be dubious!

Compare and contrast the description of this Edeophone, recently ended, with this Inimitable/Excelsior, newly listed.

Coincidence? Conspiracy? Or did this concertina-collecting grandfather get about a bit, considering that one item's in Oklahoma, and the other in New Jersey?

They both come from new sellers. The Edephone seller had one sale but it was from a long time ago - I'd be worried about hijacked account there. The Excelsior is a zero sale seller .... both auctions might be dubious!

In fact, I've already had a suspicious second chance offer on the Edeophone - particularly odd since my max bid was $700 under the "winner's"!

Hi David,

I saw the Edeophone when I was hunting around for one. I didn't like to look of the ad so I steared clear of it. If one reads the two ads side-by-side they are almost the same, word for word. Something fishy going on there!

Cheers!

Andie ;-])

hi

looks like here may be the safest buying bet these days. Much as I may like the look of a concertina on ebay, there is no way I would risk money buying there. I can't afford to waste money because some unspeakable little (fit your own word here) can't be bothered to make a living lawfully. Shoot them :angry: :angry: :angry: :ph34r:

chris (normally peaceful and calm :mellow: )(can be a bit grumpy sometimes)

And both auctions are breaking Ebay's own rules because they are asking you to use an email address included in the item description and not the ebay message system.

Keep clear!

I thought the air button comment, common to both listings, but uncommon to English concertinas was interesting. I know, some English concertinas do have air buttons.

Bill

I know the later period English concertinas I have do have air buttons. One's a Stagi and the other is a Chinese. (Heh.) The Wheatstone from 1890s doesn't have an air button. Which I found odd, but I guess they originally didn't come with one?

I don't know when they started adding them to ECs.

Still, I love the eBay auctions that say things like "I can't play it" and use that as an excuse why they can't record holding a few notes down and doing a few buttons. Because they really don't have the instrument, not because it's so impossibly hard to hold a button down and pull out the bellows. Bah.

hi

looks like here may be the safest buying bet these days. Much as I may like the look of a concertina on ebay, there is no way I would risk money buying there. I can't afford to waste money because some unspeakable little (fit your own word here) can't be bothered to make a living lawfully. Shoot them :angry: :angry: :angry: :ph34r:

chris (normally peaceful and calm :mellow: )(can be a bit grumpy sometimes)

I bought a box on ebay that said it was in great playing condition: nope, needs alot of work, as you migth expect. Some of the sellers don't know the real condition of the boxes they sell, they don't play or restore them.

You might try a reliable seller, like Barelycorn concertinas: I got my Crane from Chris Algar, its wonderfully restored and hes' very nice to deal with.

You may not get that killer deal your hunting for, but why not help support enthusiasts whove spent their whole lives restoring vintage boxes to thier former glory and have a nice playable instrument that will last the rest of your life?

The newly listed concertina was removed (no longer available) from from eBay.

It's back with a new description.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=170160993570

Edited by bildio

I'm the owner from Oklahoma who was selling my Grandpa's concertina, and I was scammed against. Someone took my description word for word, and I reported them to ebay once someone pointed it out to me. Had I even known about Concertina.net, I would have sold it through here, as Ebay proved to be an awful ordeal. I unfortunatly don't know anything about these fabulous instruments, and knew I needed to find it a good home as it was just sitting here over the years, and it needed to be cared for and appreciated. The air button I was told after the auction started that it was not a air button, but needed reed work.

So yes my auction was legit, and I have already mailed it to it's owner. When I look for homes for my grandpas other concertinas that he left me, I will cerainly turn here for advice, on their condition, and to find them a good home.

Thanks,

Mollie Sue