More Vintage Photos

I just put 18 additional vintage photos of concertina players up on my Gallery of Vintage Concertina Pictures. Thanks to Robin Harrison for gathering and sharing his large ebay photo collection. That accounts for over half of the new pictures. The rest are from various places including a few from these forums. If you know of any old photos lurking in the archives do let me know where to find them.

For now, all of the new additions are at the bottom. In a few weeks I’ll insert them into my chaotic semblance of order. If anyone can identify the final photo that would be nice.

Enjoy!

Cool. I particularly liked this one...

I just put 18 additional vintage photos of concertina players up on my Gallery of Vintage Concertina Pictures. Thanks to Robin Harrison for gathering and sharing his large ebay photo collection. That accounts for over half of the new pictures. The rest are from various places including a few from these forums. If you know of any old photos lurking in the archives do let me know where to find them.

For now, all of the new additions are at the bottom. In a few weeks I’ll insert them into my chaotic semblance of order. If anyone can identify the final photo that would be nice.

Enjoy!

Interesting pictures! Especially the 3D picture... considering Wheatstone and such! :)

Also, the EC in the ad for the Old Gold cigarettes isn't even right-side up. And besides, we now know today what cigarette smoke can do to a breathing concertina. Tisk.. and here's one that's smoking! ;)

Interesting pictures! Especially the 3D picture... considering Wheatstone and such! :)

Also, the EC in the ad for the Old Gold cigarettes isn't even right-side up. And besides, we now know today what cigarette smoke can do to a breathing concertina. Tisk.. and here's one that's smoking! ;)

I beleive tar settled on the reeds, creates very firm microscopic film, that adds to mellowness of the tone.

That good old sound may be the result of century of heavy smoking. When instrument was new, it may have been sounding tinnier.

I beleive tar settled on the reeds, creates very firm microscopic film, that adds to mellowness of the tone.

That good old sound may be the result of century of heavy smoking. When instrument was new, it may have been sounding tinnier.

What about the recent study referenced in this post showing that concertina and accordion repairs are down in Ireland where smoking has been banned in pubs? I don't know if "mellower tone" would be a reason to play a 'tina in a smoky environment. Or is this one of those things where "smoking cigarettes help me during my workout to keep alert"?

I just put 18 additional vintage photos of concertina players up on my Gallery of Vintage Concertina Pictures. Thanks to Robin Harrison for gathering and sharing his large ebay photo collection. That accounts for over half of the new pictures. The rest are from various places including a few from these forums.

some great photos, really funny ones in there!

One thing though.............One of the pics I sent you had historically interesting story , as it was tied to a concertina I bought and some well documented sheet music . I wonder if you are able to add a narrative to the gallery if there is pertinent imformation available.I know the history of the pic. but it would be valuable to have the information directly associated with it.

There are other historically interesting images here that cry out for context.

Regards

Robin

Edited by Robin Harrison

What about the recent study referenced in this post showing that concertina and accordion repairs are down in Ireland where smoking has been banned in pubs?

Is is reed repair?

The tone quality has nothing to do with mechanical conditions, or with health. I once cleaned the reeds, that had black film of "dirt" on them, and the sound became tinny. I also heard stories about old strings, that are better than new.

I also had a chance to compare metal reed harmonica and plastic reed. I found that plastic reed has mellower tone, rounder, less stringent (not stringent at all, in the matter of fact), like a clarinet.

So who knows, may be "smoking" the reeds can produce very interesting tone quality.

I think every concertina maker should have reed smoke house. Inbetween the smoking it can serve as sauna.

Half smoked reeds? Ukrainian smoked reeds in pig's fat?

One thing though.............One of the pics I sent you had historically interesting story , as it was tied to a concertina I bought and some well documented sheet music . I wonder if you are able to add a narrative to the gallery if there is pertinent imformation available.I know the history of the pic. but it would be valuable to have the information directly associated with it.

There are other historically interesting images here that cry out for context.

Regards

Robin

Hi Robin,

Thanks again for sharing your collection. Yes, I can add supporting text to the photos. Certainly as much as a paragraph or two, as I have done with some. Send it on!

The format I'm using to manage the photos does not allow for clicking web links, however I can include them as text only. I have tried to thank my sources for every image though there are a few where I'm not sure where I got it from, or where the source is so far from interest in concertinas that attribution would be silly. So if you know where you got the image, that might be useful information too.

When I started this project I had no idea how many great old pictures there were. I agree that the impact of seeing them all together in one browsible place really brings home the popularity of the instrument in days gone by. Words are good and statistics too, but still pictures make their subject real in a way that engages the viewer like no other medium.

................one final word from me ,Jody.

It was after I read Dan Worrall's essay Concertina Library where he says how completely the anglo concertina disappeared from American memory,it seemed to me these images may show us some of what has been lost .

How valuable it is to have them easily accessible.

Perhaps in England there may not be such a loss of memory,but the band photos are just a joy to look at.

Robin

• 3 weeks later...
I just put 18 additional vintage photos of concertina players up on my Gallery of Vintage Concertina Pictures.

Do you have this one? 1880's Man With Accordion?

I know it's an accordion.. or something resembling one anyway. o.O

Or this "Genuine Unseen" MGM Photo of Jimmy Stewart and some sort of bellows instrument?

Wow.. search for "photo accordion" and a good handful comes up!

Edited by Dieppe

Thank you Boney and Dieppe. Both great photos. It was very interesting to see that English folks in 1916 thought that the concertina would resonate as a nostalgic symbol for the soldiers fighting france during WWI... part of a peaceful home life worth fighting for.