Jody Kruskal's Schedule

I wanted to let you all know that I’ll be on tour in England for most of August this summer. I’ve been invited to perform and conduct workshops at:

Sidmouth Aug. 6,7,8

Bradfield Aug. 10,11,12

Broadstairs Aug. 13, 14, 15, 16, 17

Whitby Aug. 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

I’m pleased as punch at the schedule and hope to see many c.netters along the way.

Aside from the local dances I’m playing around here, I’ll be at the Palestine Old Time Music Festival in Texas this March which will be a blast I’m sure.

Check out my new web site: JodyKruskal.com to see what I’m up to. It’s still under construction but there is lots to see including a tune of the month section where you can hear some playing and see dots for some of my tunes.

Tally Ho!

Edited by Jody Kruskal

Awesome website.

Who was building it?

Clear, simple, easy to navigate (!), looking good. Professional work! My envies. I was trying to build a website for myself for awhile at no awail.

Add some sounds and movies to it - and it'll fly.

Are you going to visit San Francisco any time? Keep me posted, we'll try to arrange a few classes in our Elementary, or who knows, may be even an event with folk dances and art exibition and stuff.

Thanks Doug and m3838,

I built the web site using Rapidweaver on my mac laptop. The site has a way to go but I’m pleased with it so far. To get to this point took about six months of educating myself, collecting and writing content and doing the design. I still need a gig calendar, more pages about my composing work, etc.

The Tune of the Month page has sounds... just click on the score to hear the tune. I tried and failed to have a more elegant and smaller audio player, the code has defeated me thus far. My knowledge of HTML is really nonexistent.

Sorry, no plans to visit San Francisco at this point.

I wanted to let you all know that I’ll be on tour in England for most of August this summer. I’ve been invited to perform and conduct workshops at:

Sidmouth Aug. 6,7,8

Bradfield Aug. 10,11,12

Broadstairs Aug. 13, 14, 15, 16, 17

Whitby Aug. 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

I’m pleased as punch at the schedule and hope to see many c.netters along the way.

Aside from the local dances I’m playing around here, I’ll be at the Palestine Old Time Music Festival in Texas this March which will be a blast I’m sure.

Check out my new web site: JodyKruskal.com to see what I’m up to. It’s still under construction but there is lots to see including a tune of the month section where you can hear some playing and see dots for some of my tunes.

Tally Ho!

Jody,

Looks like a fine tour. You'll have some travelling to do but you'll certainly see England.

I'm at Broadstairs from 11th to 15th and Whitby for the week with my band. No doubt we'll find a session or two.

Howard

Edited by Howard Mitchell

Very much looking forward to seeing you at Sidmouth (Friday I'm off to Sidmouth for the weekend for the Radway reunion).

Chris

Lucky you. I wish I could join you there for the reunion. The Radway was my home away from home when I was at Sidmouth in '98. The most fun that I've ever had with both feet on the floor. Looking forward to more in '07. See you there.

Tally Ho!

Jody,

There's a bunch of us looking forward to seeing you at the Concertina squeeze-in at the Palestine Old TIme Music Festival....you and Dancing Henry, I should have said. Get ready for some barbecue.

Dan

I presume from the number of days you have at Broadstairs that you teaching workshops. What key instrument will you be basing workshops around?

Hi Mike,

I'm presuming the same thing, though I have not had enough detailed conversation with Broadstairs to confirm that. Even though my instrument of choice is a G/D, my workshops are always in C/G because that's what most people have. Tunes that can be played on a C/G using harmonic (English) style and in the common keys are rare, but there are a few. At Warwick I used Glise de Sherbrooke in G. For the Palestine Festival I've chosen Big Scioty in G, Angelina Baker in D, and Puncheon Floor in G and D. A number of morris tunes also work but I figured being American, I would stick to American tunes for workshops in England. If there are any G/D players, I'll try to have a workshop session just for them as well.

I noticed that you got my Grand Picnic cd today. Congratulations. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Hi Jody. I was your student at the NE Workshop two years ago, when I was just learning the Hayden Duet.

I have both your CDs and they get a lot of play at my breakfast table (great way to start the day).

Your new Web site is good -- more flexible than your CD-Baby site.

BTW, I made an arrangement of your "Seasick Willie" reel for my 31-note crank barrel organ (often miscalled a HUrdy-Gurdy), and would like to email the MIDI file to you, and request your permission to play it in public on my organ, non-profit of course.

I've enjoyed England -- sure you will even more. --Mike K.

I made an arrangement of your "Seasick Willie" reel for my 31-note crank barrel organ (often miscalled a HUrdy-Gurdy), and would like to email the MIDI file to you, and request your permission to play it in public on my organ, non-profit of course.

Absolutely. I would love to hear Seasick Willie on 31-note crank barrel organ. How cool is that? What other tunes do you have? Why would you send me a midi file though. Is your organ a midi instrument? Might you send me an audio file so I could hear what it really sounds like?

Hi, Jody

Any plans to play/ teach in the PacificNorthWest in the future?

Sounds like a lot of fun.

Robert

Well Robert,

No plans yet. A number of years ago my contra dance band Grand Picnic was asked by Mary Devlin to play the Suttle Lake dance weekend outside of Portland OR which was a very nice event. I could imagine that happening again, at their new location, with perhaps a short concertina workshop as part of the package. Were you there? Is Dallas near there? People and dance organizations do respond to lobbying.

I made an arrangement of your "Seasick Willie" reel for my 31-note crank barrel organ (often miscalled a HUrdy-Gurdy), and would like to email the MIDI file to you, and request your permission to play it in public on my organ, non-profit of course.

Absolutely. I would love to hear Seasick Willie on 31-note crank barrel organ. How cool is that? What other tunes do you have? Why would you send me a midi file though. Is your organ a midi instrument? Might you send me an audio file so I could hear what it really sounds like?

Thanks, Jody! ANd is it OK if I share the MIDI file of "Willie" with other organ grinders, for their amusement?

I've arranged about 30 tunes -- my own rags and marches, some pop tunes, and some more traditional tunes by Susan Conger and others.

Yes, my organ now has a MIDI interface that I built myself. Normally it plays from punched paper rolls, like a player piano. I used to punch my own rolls by hand (hours and hours for a minute of music). Now I can play it direct from my PC (to test arrangements) or from my Palm Pilot PDA for performances outdoors.

Right now I don't have a way to compress WAV files (from my own recordings) into MP3, so I can't easily send or post a sound file. THe MIDI version is set up to emulate pretty well the sound of the organ.

I'll check whether your new web page's "contact" link brings up my own emailer, in which case I can attach the MIDI file for you. Or maybe attach it to a posting right here (with your permission)?

Oh yes -- I do still practice many of your tunes (Willie included) on my Hayden!

--Mike K.

Edited by ragtimer

Search on the Net for "free WAV MP3 decoder" and you'll find tons of decoders.

Mine is a simple click on the Left Mouse Button and it converts WAV and AIFF to mp3 and back. Very simple and good quality. It took me a few minutes of searching and downloading. Just check with your security if the site is safe, if you want.

Hay, we all want to hear your crank organ, don't we? So they exist!

Awesome!