Poor Little Liza Jane

I’ve been working on my latest CD, Poor Little Liza Jane, American Old-Time Tunes and Songs. The music features me on Anglo concertina with by music buddies here in NYC playing guitar, fiddle, banjo, mandolin and bass. It’s all recorded and mixed and I’ve just finished the graphics for the release. The text on the CD insert includes a brief history of the Anglo with the statement that the Anglo was imported all over the globe in the late 1800s. To support that claim, I started collecting old photos and have come up with some great old shots including some from Dan Worrall and Howard Mitchell from these pages. My liner notes will be only on the disc as a pdf file, viewable on computer, not in print. In those notes I’ve included a number of these old photographs of Anglo players. So far, the photos are from 1855 through 1946 of Anglo playing musicians from all the cultures and genres I can find, including American, English, South African, Zulu, Kenya, Australian, Morris, Minstrel (yes Minstrel!).

A few groups are not yet represented... Women, Irish, German, Salvation Army, and there may be other groups I’m not aware of who played the instrument that in those days may have been called a German concertina. What about the Italians for instance? The Italian concertina player is a stereotype that I’ve never seen or heard in real life. Gepetto where are you?

I would like another English ritual dance photo with Anglo as well. Perhaps the Anglo playing women of Ireland might supply me with two groups in one, but I haven’t found the right image yet for either of those two groups.

Does anyone on these pages have an old photo they would be willing to share for this project? Links to suggest? Or perhaps you know a collector of old photos and postcards that might have such stuff?

At this point, I’m running out of time so I’m looking for large jpg files that can be sent to me via email in the next few days. If you have something to share please let me know on this thread and we can communicate then directly.

Thank you cnet for making Anglo Concertina Culture a reality.post-557-1165473870_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jody Kruskal

A few groups are not yet represented... Women, Irish, .......

A lot photographs of Irish women can be found in the nice collection of Peter Laban at this very website at:

http://www.concertina.net/peter_laban_photos.html and

http://www.concertina.net/peter_laban_photos2.html

Maybe not exactly what you are looking for but anyway a very nice collection!

Hi, Jody,

Don't know if this is of interest. May be a bit too recent....

I met Mrs Baglin in Bristol, UK in 1983, when she was in her late 70s. She had played in her younger days with the Bristol Citadel Salvation Army Band, though she had not played for some years at the time I met her. I overhauled her concertina for her and her interest was re-awakened. I understand she continued to play up until she passed away a couple of years ago. She sent me this photo as a Christmas card after I returned to Australia.

Photo only 80k or so, though I still have the 6x4 original, so could make a better quality (?) jpeg file and send it if required, though I'm having a few problems with my scanner at present. (Dropped a concertina on the glass; don't ask!)

Sorry, as far as I know, Mrs Baglin had no Irish, German or Italian background.... :D

(well 2 out of 5 ain't that bad!)

MC

post-121-1165483551_thumb.jpg

Edited by malcolm clapp

Hi Jody:

From my ever growing collection.

You are more than welcome to use the follwing as long as it's OK with these ladies and the Salvation Army.

And of course the "Italian" image you are seeking.

Better speak to Mr. Disney before using this.

Perry Werner

New Joisy, USA

post-168-1165505440_thumb.jpg

post-168-1165505463_thumb.jpg

post-168-1165505562_thumb.jpg

Edited by Perry Werner

Perry, do you have a phone no. for #1?

Just my type.

Brian:

Why do you want to buy her bonnet?

Oh, oh, oh..........Sorry, I guess you meant you were seeking out a new main squeeze!!!!!

Don't forget, if she's still around, I'm guessing she's closing in on 100 years old.

Perry

Edited by Perry Werner

Perry, do you have a phone no. for #1?

Just my type.

Brian:

Why do you want to buy her bonnet?

Oh, oh, oh..........Sorry, I guess you meant you were seeking out a new main squeeze!!!!!

Don't forget, if she's still around, I'm guessing she's closing in on 100 years old.

Perry

She's aged well, then. I make it 141, on Christmas Day!

Regards,

Peter.

You boys waited too long.

Looks like she's been taken and has given up the 'tina to the old man to raise a family.

Too bad.

Maybe a new photo will come along soon.

Perry

post-168-1165514921_thumb.jpg

Edited by Perry Werner

From my ever growing collection.

You are more than welcome to use the follwing as long as it's OK with these ladies and the Salvation Army.

'Sfunny, but I thought the image of the very lovely Evangeline Cory Booth (December 25, 1865 – July 17, 1950), 4th General of The Salvation Army (1934-1939), was in my ever growing collection? :blink: :huh: :unsure:

But Jody's welcome to use it anyway! ;)

Back in the days of images such as this (both cartes de visites or CDV's and cabinet cards), multiple copies of these photographs were often printed and distributed. I'm sure in the case of a high ranking member of any organization, many of them were distributed as was evidently the case with the image of Ms. Booth who I found lurking around a while back on Ebay. I have also seen this image numerous times in various venues. I imagine she lurked around on the shelves of many salvationists and others.

Perry

Edited by Perry Werner

Back in the days of images such as this (both cartes de visites or CDV's and cabinet cards), multiple copies of these photographs were often printed and distributed. I'm sure in the case of a high ranking member of any organization, many of them were distributed in their day ...

Perry,

Of course they were, but with the exact same blemishes as my copy? :blink:

Don't think so! :rolleyes:

... the image of Ms. Booth ... I found lurking around on Ebay. I have also seen this image numerous times in various venues ...

In fact it was I who bought the copy on eBay, and have posted it on the internet. :)

I’ve been working on my latest CD, Poor Little Liza Jane, American Old-Time Tunes and Songs. The music features me on Anglo concertina with by music buddies here in NYC playing guitar, fiddle, banjo, mandolin and bass. It’s all recorded and mixed and I’ve just finished the graphics for the release.

Thank you cnet for making Anglo Concertina Culture a reality.post-557-1165473870_thumb.jpg

Jody,

When will it be out, and what are a couple of the fiddle type tunes you worked up for the CD? Old-time appalachian tunes don't get as much discussion here as other styles, and I'm looking forward to hearing the arrangements.

Steve

[quote name='Stephen Chambers' date='Dec 7 2006, 01:48 PM' post='49027'

Of course they were, but with the exact same blemishes as my copy? :blink:

Steve:

Oops. I meant the image next to her in my original posting. Evidently I saved the other image from your posting way back and kept it in my folder of concertina images which I have collected. So yes, it solely yours. The other photograph I do have in my posession and it did come from Ebay........and Jody you are also more than welcome to use it also. I hope that settles that!!!!!!!!!

Perry

Edited by Perry Werner

Well I’m glad that’s settled, Stephan saw Eva first and we’re all glad he did. What a beauty.

Thank you all for sharing these great photos. I’ve got 18 in my photo gallery now and unless a few more come in the next few days I think I’m getting close to the end of this part of the project.

I’m still missing the Irish though. No turn of the century photos of Clare Anglo players out there?

My present 'main squeeze' is just fine, thanks Perry. But one can still fantasize..... the bonnet, the eyes, the uniform..... nuff said.

Brian:

And all this time I thought you were interested in her instrument.

Wow, the places the mind will take you to!

Perry