Lachenal Edeophone On E-bay

KerryFrank

Folks,

I'm VERY interested in this concertina and I have a good budget for restoring it. But plain and simple I'm not that experienced in the details of Lachenals. Given this instrument has a plenora of detailed photos, could anyone, experienced with Lachenals (after viewing the photos), give me an educated guess as to is it a scam or the real deal? E-bay item: 230053048133

Folks,

I'm VERY interested in this concertina and I have a good budget for restoring it. But plain and simple I'm not that experienced in the details of Lachenals. Given this instrument has a plenora of detailed photos, could anyone, experienced with Lachenals (after viewing the photos), give me an educated guess as to is it a scam or the real deal? E-bay item: 230053048133

Whilst it would make a good instrument, the fretwork looks a complete mess, with cracks as well as the broken pieces. My view is that it would take a lot of money to do a "proper" restoration. However, condition will limit its appeal, and a knowledgeable dealer might well snap it up "at the right price".

Regards,

Peter.

Folks,

I would say it's the real deal. He's not hiding the warts. It would need someone very skilled to do a good job on those ends though.

Go for it there isnt much wrong with this one as long as the reeds are not in Aluminium shoes

Andrew Norman has just dome one for a friend that started of in a much worse state.It sufffered from the rolling Edeophone syndrome or who pressed the self destruct button?

I suspect that there will be a bit of a queue.

Do my eyes decieve me or might it be a tenor?

Go for it there isnt much wrong with this one as long as the reeds are not in Aluminium shoes

Andrew Norman has just dome one for a friend that started of in a much worse state.It sufffered from the rolling Edeophone syndrome or who pressed the self destruct button?

I suspect that there will be a bit of a queue.

Do my eyes decieve me or might it be a tenor?

The thumbstraps do appear to be mounted forward one row, but that could be camera angle. What are your observations? Mike

I'm getting my new Edophone on Sunday. Andrew Norman restored it earlier this year, and yes, the results of the rolling Edeophone syndrome have been skillfully repaired. How on earth can a clumsy b****r like me prevent this happening in the future? I guess for the first few months I'll be treating it with kid gloves and putting it back in the case every time I've finished playing, but only this week I snapped the flowering stalk of my wife's orchid, and also broke the glass on a picture I was taking to auction.

I'm getting my new Edophone on Sunday. Andrew Norman restored it earlier this year, and yes, the results of the rolling Edeophone syndrome have been skillfully repaired. How on earth can a clumsy b****r like me prevent this happening in the future? I guess for the first few months I'll be treating it with kid gloves and putting it back in the case every time I've finished playing, but only this week I snapped the flowering stalk of my wife's orchid, and also broke the glass on a picture I was taking to auction.

You might want to put a leash on it , lest it wander off ;)

Folks,

Whilst it would make a good instrument, the fretwork looks a complete mess, with cracks as well as the broken pieces. My view is that it would take a lot of money to do a "proper" restoration. However, condition will limit its appeal, and a knowledgeable dealer might well snap it up "at the right price".

Regards,

Peter.

Well, the bidding went to over 1200US, by the end of the bidding. (out of my range) Then the day after the end of the auction, the seller sent me an e-mail. The highest bidder was a fake! I'm purchasing it for 500US!!! TYVM all for your advice, it was greatly appreciated!

I love deals, don't get me wrong, and I've bought a lot on Ebay. This smells like a scam... Theoretically, even if the high bidder was bogus, it took someone else's second highest bid of $1199 (or so) to reach a final winning bid of $1200. Why did he not offer it to that person at that price? Maybe he's offering it to ALL bidders for a second chance...

Using an escrow service for this one would be well worth the money.

Just my $ .02

Edited by John Sylte

Well, the bidding went to over 1200US, by the end of the bidding. (out of my range) Then the day after the end of the auction, the seller sent me an e-mail. The highest bidder was a fake! I'm purchasing it for 500US!!! TYVM all for your advice, it was greatly appreciated!

Kerry Frank, There are ways to determine if a second-chance offer is legitimate. You can find this information on Ebay in the help section. Mike

Edited by michaelpier

Be very very very very careful, this sounds like a classic ebay scam. In the UK last week ebay started a new policy of not revealing bidders identities for any auction that goes over 100 pounds in order to combat this type of thing. If ebay had to change their policy the scam must have been pretty common.

This offer smells bad to me.

As other's have noted, I think you should be very suspicious. I recently went through this "second chance" process after I was outbid on an eBay concertina offering. I subsequently received three emails offering me the instrument, and two looked very eBay genuine. The first came in within 20 minutes of the bid closing, and the last about three days later. Fortunately I was able to contact the true seller though c.net connections and verify that all three offers were hoaxes.

The highest bidder was a fake!

No he isn't, he's one of us! (As were at least two more of the other high bidders.)

I'm purchasing it for 500US!!!!

This second chance offer is quite definitely a scam, dont make any payment and report this to eBay immediately.

Hi, I was the bidder beatten at the end and never had a second offer. Since I offered 1000.00 it is surprising that they should be keen to accept a much loewer offer.I had asked if I could collect and paid cash

The highest bidder was a fake!

No he isn't, he's one of us! (As were at least two more of the other high bidders.)

I'm purchasing it for 500US!!!!

This second chance offer is quite definitely a scam, dont make any payment and report this to eBay immediately.

I apologize for my enthusiasm, lol. I had the forethought to enquire of the original sellers whether these "second chance offers" were legit. 2 of the 3 responded that it was a scam and (I learned here) that the third offer was bogus too, the actual buyer was a member!!! TYVM all, for your help and sound advice! I meant NO offence at mentioning the bogus seller was saying the original buyer was a fake. I was merely passing on details of the scam. I both value the friendship and the expertise of my fellow members. Again, TYVM all!