Difficult But Fun Tunes On Anglo

You guys want a real workout? Try Spey in Spate, in D. Fun tune, exercises every last neuron and muscle. Another year or two and I should get it up to speed.

An unlikely but wonderful tune on the Anglo: Brenda Stubbert (in the frequently mentioned Portand book).

Other current favorites of mine: Devlin's; Portland Fancy; Hull's Victory.

So what challenging, interesting tunes are the rest of you working on?

I was noodling the other day, and out of the box came a section of the Beethoven Violin concerto in D. It's pretty well known. There are sections there that lend themselves well to the 20-b Anglo, and they strain all my imagination, since I'm playing by ear from memory. Lots of slippage can occur. Good fun, tho!

Whew. O'Carolan's Concerto; I used to play that on hammered dulcimer, and it was a killer. Better get out the Anglo and give it a try and see if it's any easier.

I'm particularly interested in hearing about tunes that provide good exercise to the left hand , last few fingers. "Evit Gabriel" is one. This is where I need lots of practice.

>Yep, that's him alright. I enjoy watching fiddle players in sessions with this tune - >the body language shows they really love it, and the unnamed tune from the >Mittel collection that is usually put with it.

Like the tune a lot; thanks. Will bring it to the next session; don't think it's been played around here!

Short of asking what is the name of the unnamed tune, do you have the ABCs or some such??

Well it was Jim Besser that came up with the ABC for Fete du Village (thanks, mate), I only learned both tunes in sessions, the set is a regular in the Radway. I'll do some research, but it'll have to be next week, 'cos in a few hours we're off up north for a long weekend.

Chris

I'm particularly interested in hearing about tunes that provide good exercise to the left hand , last few fingers. "Evit Gabriel" is one. This is where I need lots of practice.

I love "Evit Gabriel" (maybe its because I'm left-handed.) I think it was the first tune I learned out of the Portland Collection. "Trip to Sligo" is another tune thats pretty fun of the left hand.

[ love "Evit Gabriel" (maybe its because I'm left-handed.) I think it was the first tune I learned out of the Portland Collection. "Trip to Sligo" is another tune thats pretty fun of the left hand.]

It's an interesting tune. The Dancing Bear is similar in being a good workout for the left pinky and fourth finger.

All,

Having never strayed too far from the key of G, D and C and their relative minors for playing melody on the Anglo, I forced myself to learn a tune in the key of A... I can't think of the name of the tune right now but it is on the first page of O'Neill's 1001.... I found it hard to get my fingers and brain moving where they should... . I quickly realized that I should use the pull A on the G row of the left side as opposed to the pull A on the C row (that I used more frequently) since I need the index finger for the G# often played right before/after the A. I also needed to experiment around with which E to use (the pull E on the G row left side or the push E on the C row right side) - as it turned out, I used both Es depending on the situation.

There are a number of great tunes in A and, regrettably, I've never really looked at them. But now, with one tune under my belt, I'll see what else I can do with it.

Onward,

Craig

[snip] ...I forced myself to learn a tune in the key of A... I can't think of the name of the tune right now but it is on the first page of O'Neill's 1001.... I found it hard to get my fingers and brain moving where they should... [snip]

Craig!

A is one of my favourite keys on my C/G anglo! *I* need to venture down into the "flat" keys - I'll bet they're not such a problem either, when you get to grips with them!

Samantha