A Jones Anglo With A No Feedback Seller

mthatcher61

On ebay , a Jones Anglo fixer-upper. It looks like it could be a bargain for a handyman but with no feedback I just don't know.

Item number : 270051266850

Hi Mark, you instinctively know that you should be cautious because of the lack of seller information. I would suggest asking if you can come and take a look at it (even if you aren't able to go). Most sellers offering a valuable item are happy to consider such a meeting.

If you manage to chat with the seller and feel a bit less concerned - happy enough to bid with caution- I would suggest that you request an escrow agreement. There are several reputable escrow companies around, just google for them or read ebay's help pages. Buyer and seller both register with them, buyer makes the payment, escrow company confirms they are holding the payment to the seller, seller then sends the goods, goods arrive and are as described, buyer confirms this to the escrow company, who then release the payment to the seller. It may cost a small amount but better to invest a little in security then lose a lot in being foolhardy. I hope this helps and that I'm not typing as you suck eggs!

Kind regards

Deborah

Hi Mark, you instinctively know that you should be cautious because of the lack of seller information. I would suggest asking if you can come and take a look at it (even if you aren't able to go). Most sellers offering a valuable item are happy to consider such a meeting.

The seller is in Cheshire - I'm in Cheshire......

If you think this is worth pursuing (following the other posts about whether it's a Jones), I'll see if I can get to see it or at least see if the seller exists.

Chris

ps I'm an EC player and know next to nothing about playing an Anglo!

Are you sure that it's a Jones? Looking at the crazy angles some of the buttons are sticking out at, for one thing, it looks more like a German "imitation Anglo", not to mention the odd layout of them. And only four bellows on an Anglo is unheard of ... :huh:

I think the crazy angles are because the buttons are falling off. I agree that it looks German - you can see numbers printed on the buttons, and most of my German boxes have had that.

I think the crazy angles are because the buttons are falling off. I agree that it looks German - you can see numbers printed on the buttons, and most of my German boxes have had that.

And the construction of German ones is prone to buttons coming loose like this as the leather pads they sit on stretch or become partially detached. With English constuction the buttons are less likely to come loose, but if they do they fall out completely and get lost.

On the other hand, some early English made Anglos have numbered buttons.

... the odd layout of [the buttons] ... :huh:

I should maybe add that we are looking at a photo of the left end of the instrument, which appears to be a 22-key in "artistic fingering" (where the G row of buttons on the left side is "one step up" compared with normal), something that was done by some of the earlier German makers, and sometimes copied by English ones (no doubt for those who had learnt on such instruments). It isn't a problem to convert a 38-key or 4-row Jeffries in that configuration as you've got enough extra buttons to do it, but it's impossible on a 22-key.

And 4-fold bellows!!! :blink:

Edited by Stephen Chambers

I thought it was a Jones because the ends look very similar to the Jones I've seen lately on ebay. Specifically this one...

Item number: 260051130527

They looked the same to me , I hadn't even looked at the bellows. Interesting points though.

I thought it was a Jones because the ends look very similar to the Jones I've seen lately on ebay. Specifically this one...

Item number: 260051130527

They looked the same to me , I hadn't even looked at the bellows. Interesting points though.

If you look at them side by side, the German one's fretwork is cruder than the Jones

The seller is in Cheshire - I'm in Cheshire......

If you think this is worth pursuing (following the other posts about whether it's a Jones), I'll see if I can get to see it or at least see if the seller exists.

Chris

ps I'm an EC player and know next to nothing about playing an Anglo!

Oh Chris, I'm far more 'wiv it' about ebay than I am about identifying investment-worthy 'tinas. More knowledgeable players seem to be pointing at it like it's a Trabant!

I thought it was a Jones because the ends look very similar to the Jones I've seen lately on ebay.

I couldn't be sure about what it is without examining it, and maybe not even then ... :unsure:

But German makers did build almost exact (externally) copies of English designs, like this Jones copy from my collection, illustrated in my article on Lachenal Concertina Production.

And whatever it is, the artistic fingering and 4-fold bellows are likely to prove a handicap to any potential player, even if it was worth restoring.