Variation In Hayden Layout

I have replaced the low left hand C#/C# and D#/D# buttons in the 6th row with a low G/A and B/Bb

This was by customer request, but it seems like an ok idea to me.

Or is this a reflection of my inner Anglo?

post-67-1148673461_thumb.jpg

post-67-1148673465_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bob Tedrow

I'm sure it is, but this isn't the first time that such a thing has been done to the Hayden layout. I've been told of a Dipper which was made according to a similar specification.

I wonder why a person who would violate the regularity of the Hayden layout in two different fundamental ways (which notes are where, and same note in and out), presumably for the "convenience" of having a couple of extra notes, bothered to choose the Hayden in the first place.

/I wonder why a person who would violate the regularity of the Hayden layout in two different fundamental ways (which notes are where, and same note in and out), presumably for the "convenience" of having a couple of extra notes, bothered to choose the Hayden in the first place./

Perhabs it's the same reason why people who played push/pull few buttons - many notes concertina ended up with fully chromatic, all notes doubled and some buttons unisonoric bandoneons?

will I burn in concertina hell for this?

I believe there is no such thing as concertina hell - only various divisions of concertina heaven!

Hell is reserved for accordions (here's your accordion - welcome to hell!)

- John Wild :P

• 2 weeks later...

This might be all right if it is the only concertina that you ever intend to play. However problems will arise when you decide to have a larger instrument later after you have already learned to play those notes in that position. What do you do: continue in an ad hoc manner and end up in a complete random mess like the bandoneon? or have to completely relearn all the tunes that you already play?

I made the mistake of putting a low F# on my square concertina in the bottom left hand corner where the very low Eb should have been in order to make up a complete chromatic compass, because english concertina minded players were always winging about notes missing from the complete chromatic compass at the periferies of the keyboards. I was continually hitting this button when playing in flat keys expecting an Eb but getting a discord, so eventually retuned this. Since that I have never ever found that I needed a very low F# in sharp keys on anything that I wished to accompany, but the Eb often comes in very handy.

The low notes F, G, and Bb fall very conveniently on the left little finger if placed in their correct positions, and can be easily played together with the corresponding note an octave above on the ring finger.

Inventor

• 3 weeks later...
I have replaced the low left hand C#/C# and D#/D# buttons in the 6th row with a low G/A and B/Bb

This was by customer request, but it seems like an ok idea to me.

The customer is always right, but yes, you will burn in Heck for this! :P

There are good reasons to have C# and D# down there. The Hayden (to me at least) is a chromatic instrument capable of trad but not aimed especially at trad. Instead, its wonderful chromatic layout allows you to play modern jazz, classical and pop. I miss the C# and D# on my Stagi because bass lines for jazz pieces, etc., cry out for them.