Say What?

Ever wonder how a concertina solo ended up on an early Judy Collins album ("Gene's Tune" on "Leviathan")?

"Gene" was Gene Murrow, and he told me the story once. He was one of the studio musicians. They were recording in one of the big concert halls in New York (Philharmonic Hall? Carnegie Hall? The Metropolitan Opera?). During some down time, Gene took his concertina to center stage and started playing the Playford English Country Dance tune, "The Beggar Boy" just to see what it felt like to play from such an exalted space. He didn't know the tapes were rolling, and by the time Judy C and the producers decided to use the cut, Gene had moved to Boston and nobody knew how to reach him to ask what the tune was called.

Ever wonder how a concertina solo ended up on an early Judy Collins album ("Gene's Tune" on "Leviathan")?

Great story. I had that record years ago, lost it, but the tune is still rattling around my head.

• 2 years later...
Now a quick visit to MySpace (shudder) reveals that Feverdream calls itself a grunge/rock/metal band with the following musical influences: Nirvana, A Perfect Circle, The Beatles, Black Sabbath, Tool, Bob Dylan, AFI, ZAO. Half of whom, I must admit, I have never even heard of -- namely A Perfect Circle, Tool, AFI and ZAO. Needless to say, I neither understood a word of nor made it all the way through the mp3 they have posted on their site.

That sounds a bit like my playlist.

Well I've got Nirvana, The Beatles, Bob Dylan and AFI (Sing for Sorrow fab album) on CD. :)

I used to be (and still am) a grunge fan....aparently now its called 'Emo' :rolleyes: :blink:

Did you take the offer up in the end...I'd love to hear a grunge concertina.

Edited by LDT

Now a quick visit to MySpace (shudder) reveals that Feverdream calls itself a grunge/rock/metal band with the following musical influences: Nirvana, A Perfect Circle, The Beatles, Black Sabbath, Tool, Bob Dylan, AFI, ZAO. Half of whom, I must admit, I have never even heard of -- namely A Perfect Circle, Tool, AFI and ZAO. Needless to say, I neither understood a word of nor made it all the way through the mp3 they have posted on their site.

That sounds a bit like my playlist.

Well I've got Nirvana, The Beatles, Bob Dylan and AFI (Sing for Sorrow fab album) on CD. :)

I used to be (and still am) a grunge fan....aparently now its called 'Emo' :rolleyes: :blink:

Did you take the offer up in the end...I'd love to hear a grunge concertina.

That sounds like a ton of fun. And I'd be so in if I got an offer like that. But that's cause I like grunge and Perfect Circle/Tool - but emo? Not sure emo is the new grunge - and emo kids are kinda out there...

Maybe it's a trend, people starting to want concertina players?

I say that because of two such things that have happened to me --

Over at my ourstage.com page (/fanclub/bellowbelle), I've had a steady stream of rappers and hip-hop artists joining my 'friends' list (though, I have the list set to private so you won't see it unless you sign up at the site). None of my little squeaky tunes come close to rap or hip hop. I own a rabbit, and that's about it. But, I add these guys anyway, because I don't see the point in not doing so.

The other funny thing is that I was contacted by a member there who is making a film about surfing (ocean, not web) and he said he was interested in maybe using one or some of my tunes in the musical lineup of his film. I was very doubtful that anything of mine would fit in with that, and even wondered if someone was maybe trying to play a joke on him by sending me something from his email address without him knowing!

But, as it is, there's a chance he'll use 'It's Just The Wind.' I'd love it if it'd fit in with his stuff. I was especially flattered when I found out he'll use some music by a very good and notable cello player (who's way ahead of me, musically!)... I don't want to say names because I don't know the status of things. Anyway, we'll see what happens.