Say What?

On Saturday night, I got the following note in my concertina case (which doubles as a tip jar)(spelling and random capitalization faithfully copied from the original):

Hey, I'm in a band called Feverdream. We're signed to an Independent Record Lable called Cash Crop Records. We have an album Coming out. But I was wondering if you'd like to perform one song on our next one? We don't offer any money, but you'll get recognition in the C.D, cover and it will help get your music out there. Let me know if you want to record.

Now a quick visit to MySpace (shudder) reveals that Feverdream calls itself a grunge/rock/metal band with the following musical influences: Nirvana, A Perfect Circle, The Beatles, Black Sabbath, Tool, Bob Dylan, AFI, ZAO. Half of whom, I must admit, I have never even heard of -- namely A Perfect Circle, Tool, AFI and ZAO. Needless to say, I neither understood a word of nor made it all the way through the mp3 they have posted on their site.

Please bear in mind that at the time I got the note, my set had included such grunge/rock/metal classics as: Arkansas Traveler, Dancing at Whitsun, Flowers of Edinburgh, and the Abbots Bromley Horn Dance Tune.

Grunge concertina.

I don't think so.

Oh well, at least the note was wrapped in a dollar :)

Yeah, don't turn it down! You can have at lest a laugh and enjoy the rock'n'roll lifestyle in the studio (cold pizza, warm beer and the odd herbal remedy, I wager). :-)

Grunge concertina sounds actually great, why not give it a go?

Edited by Cream-T

I know a chap who plays melodeon in a ceildh band. He also has a Streb (a midi melodeon) which he plays in a heavy rock band. What's the harm - it's all music at the end of the day :D

More info on Feverdreams, cut and pasted from their website:

This is the home of a rockin Grunge band named Feverdream...... From the city of Clovis New Mexico...... With musical influences ranging from Tool to Bob Dylan..... They sound like Nirvana, the Beatles and A Perfect Circle..... They also have several Christian songs and prophess Christianity as thier faith. They've signed to a indie label called Cash Crop Records, but are still looking to get on a bigger label. They are constantly growing in popularity and thier determination is infinate...

I sent an email to the kid who handed me the note (the lead singer, woo! woo!) saying, basically, "oh what the heck, why not" I mean, just because I can spell, I'm a Buddhist and I'm old enough to be their mother...why not?

You know, I bet Noel Hill doesn't get offers like this.

You know, he's probably grateful.

Something similar happened to me a few years ago.........only the request came from a guy that I'd taught as a child at school.

I ended up playing a sort of heavy metal, funky jiggy sort of number.

I actually couldn't play it at anything close to the speed that he wanted, but he just recorded it bar by bar and stuck it all together....and it sounded brilliant.

I didn't get a bean for it, and I don't think the CD did very well, but it sits in pride of place in my CD collection.

It was an event that I'll always treasure.

My advice....don't miss it.

Phil

I sent an email to the kid who handed me the note (the lead singer, woo! woo!) saying, basically, "oh what the heck, why not" I mean, just because I can spell, I'm a Buddhist and I'm old enough to be their mother...why not?

You know, I bet Noel Hill doesn't get offers like this.

That is for sure. I'd love to hear a grunge version of Abbotts Bromley, with a real strong bass line and guitar doing effects.

Sorta like Jimi Hendrix Does Winster.

I always wanted to start a punk band, just because I figured out the perfect name: Youth In Asia. I'm just about 40 years too old to qualify.

Go for it and report back.

Edited by Jim Besser

:D Give it a go, but leave details with someone who cares. :unsure:

My singing partner and I once got asked to do a season in an Irish theme bar in Saudi. The guy was very persistent until we sent him some publicity posters and said the families had to come as well - 5 kids and 2 husbands between us! Then we heard no more. We always believed he had intended to sell us :ph34r:

OK, I know I'm a boring old fart, but I'm suspicious of publicity blurb written by someone who can't spell 'profess', 'their' or 'infinite'

Dare I ask what you think of some of the posters here on Concertina.net? :unsure:

My singing partner and I once got asked to do a season in an Irish theme bar in Saudi. The guy was very persistent until we sent him some publicity posters and said the families had to come as well - 5 kids and 2 husbands between us! Then we heard no more. We always believed he had intended to sell us :ph34r:

Gives a whole different meaning to the concept of an agent "selling" your act. B)

Rhomylly, go for it! A Nirvanaesque version of Akansas Traveler would be very cool indeed! ;)

Definitely! Go for it. At worst it'll be hysterically funny, at best it could open their ears and yours to things none of you have ever thought of doing :)