English And Duet International

I have taken this subject away from the other discussion.

Graham and I have talked these projects over and we are going to investigate both subjects English and Duet.

I have a few essential players to approach and a few I have discussed the projects with already.I would appreciate ideas from you all, but at this stage do not want any recordings.I have taken on board critisisms of Anglo International, but we are going to stick with the format already liked by the majority.We intend to try and make the CDs of interest to non players of the instruments and go for variety of music and approach

as in Anglo International.

I have taken on board some of the more interesting points raised in the other discussion.

Thank you Chris for your encouragement and support.

Thank you Graham for once again offering to finance these CDs, IF we can get them off the ground.

I have to go in for a service next week and then I will make a start and see what we come up with.

Al

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alan,

I thought 2005 was a banner year for concertina enthusiasts - www.concertina.com was turned into a hugely useful resource; the first Arran, Southwest and ButtonBox workshops were launched, as was an inexpensive English baritone, the Jack - I'm sure I'm missing a few other notables, no offense intended. But to me, the highlight was Anglo International. If you and Graham pull off English and Duet Internationals, I'm afraid you'll have to just be canonized, and then there'll be no living with you.

These projects need a bit of luck and this morning I received an Email offering a collection of important archive material.We are hoping that the tapes have not been too badly effected by age.

A good start.

Al

Gentlemen,

Back when I was still doing my radio show, I did one for the Wheatstone bicentennial (some of you may recall). One tradition I could not find any recorded material for was the Salvation Army and similar ways of playing hymns and sacred music. Lots of players over the years, but I've heard of few recordings. Such material, if found and restored, would be of great interest to me.

Ken

Thanks for the suggestion Ken and something which I would enjoy listening to.If anyone has any old recordings featuring The Salvation Army I would be very interested.

We have been offered a tape of the playing of Harry Hatton a retired Coalminer from Lancashire and some of the original recordings from the first meetings of the ICA.We have to see if the quality of the recordings are good enough,but an exciting start.Alistair Anderson and Allan Atlas have both agreed to join the club.

This is early days in a Marathon of work.

Al

Thanks for the suggestion Ken and something which I would enjoy listening to.If anyone has any old recordings featuring The Salvation Army I would be very interested.

We have been offered a tape of the playing of Harry Hatton a retired Coalminer from Lancashire and some of the original recordings from the first meetings of the ICA.We have to see if the quality of the recordings are good enough,but an exciting start.Alistair Anderson and Allan Atlas have both agreed to join the club.

This is early days in a Marathon of work.

Al

The ICA sound archive is a small collection, as it is not something that existed at all before the mid-1990's. However, it does contain one recording of Mrs.Mildred Stringer, from the late 1990's. At the time Mildred Stringer was the leading member of the Doncaster Citadel Ladies Concertina Quartet. Many years before there had been a concertina band, but were down to a quartet by the time this was made.

The recording is a mixture of playing and talk about the concertina in the SA.

I do not know for certain what the position is regarding copyright with Mrs.Stringer or the SA, but I believe it would be an ICA recording to make available as it thought fit. Also I do not know if Mrs.Stringer is still with us.

If of interest an enquiry can be routed to current ICA committee members via its website -see my signature for the url.

- John Wild

Edited by John Wild

John, did the archive never receive the recordings I sent you of the Bristol Citadel Band? Not the greatest quality, I must admit, with the local BBC radio announcer talking over bits of it :rolleyes: , but might be worth a listen, though probably not for the CD project as the quality is quite poor.

I will shortly be editing and copying some material from Coatbridge (Lanarkshire?) Salvationist David Haxton which might be of use to your project, Alan. Any one else ever come across him? This should be in the ICA archive and not in my cupboard. ;)

I also have a 78 rpm recording of Brigadeer Archie Burgess on Regal Zonophone, playing a medley of 3 Salvationist tunes. It is solo, and described as English concertina, but....

No other SA band stuff though... :(

MC

John, did the archive never receive the recordings I sent you of the Bristol Citadel Band? Not the greatest quality, I must admit, with the local BBC radio announcer talking over bits of it :rolleyes: , but might be worth a listen, though probably not for the CD project as the quality is quite poor.

I will shortly be editing and copying some material from Coatbridge (Lanarkshire?) Salvationist David Haxton which might be of use to your project, Alan. Any one else ever come across him? This should be in the ICA archive and not in my cupboard. ;)

I also have a 78 rpm recording of Brigadeer Archie Burgess on Regal Zonophone, playing a medley of 3 Salvationist tunes. It is solo, and described as English concertina, but....

No other SA band stuff though... :(

MC

Sounds interesting Malcolm,some of the recordings we had for Anglo International were of terrible quality and Alex Jones did a wonderful and professional job for us,even correcting some playing mistakes which I thought the player would not have liked us to include, owing to the precise nature of his playing.

We are investigating other possible sources of the Salvation Army bands and will include a phone call to our friends in the British Library who may have recordings in their archives.This is why these projects take so long but the thrill of finding these recordings are what makes it all worth while.I cannot do it however without your support and help so many thanks for the suggestions I am receiving.

Al