Concertina maintenance kit in the U.S?

Dear folks,

Many years ago I bought a kit from somewhere in the U.S that had misc maintenance items like pads and springs and I'm slowly running out. I can't seem to find that provider anymore. Would any of you know if it's possible to find, in the U.S (or Canada but I can keep dreaming I think), a seller for such kit?

Thanks a lot.

10 hours ago, David Barnert said:

Would that have been The Button Box? They closed up shop a year or two ago.

No, it was somewhere like Washington state, probably Concertina Connection like Takayuki posted above. I wasn't aware (or forgot) that The Button Box closed down, that's pretty sad. Are you aware of any concertina repair workshops being given in North America sometimes? I know there's reed making workshops for pipers sometimes but never heard of the equivalent for concertinas. I would consider training myself for maintenance because it's getting harder and harder to find people who can do maintenance work on concertinas, at least around the northern part of the U.S or in Canada.

10 hours ago, Azalin said:

Are you aware of any concertina repair workshops being given in North America sometimes?

At the North East Squeeze-In (NESI) every year somebody generally gives a 1-hour review of common repair issues, but I have the sense from your question that you’re looking for something more intensive.

• Like 1

Concertina Connection has been my go-to place lately.  The quality of their supplies is excellent, and their service (especially Karen) is top-notch.  They always acknowledge e-mails, ask pertinent questions to make sure you are ordering the right items, and ship promptly.  There are a few things they don't supply (pre-skived top runs for instance) but I use them when I can.  

• Like 1

On 3/2/2024 at 10:17 PM, David Barnert said:

At the North East Squeeze-In (NESI) every year somebody generally gives a 1-hour review of common repair issues, but I have the sense from your question that you’re looking for something more intensive.

A bit OT but with the help of the great The Concertina Maintenance Manual, I was able to fix two notes this week-end. One with the valve too close to the hole, and the other one too far away (had to replace it). I'm guessing being able to replace valves, springs and pads can fix 80% of common problems, the scary part is the 20%...

7 hours ago, Azalin said:

I'm guessing being able to replace valves, springs and pads can fix 80% of common problems [...]

I would add being able to diagnose, find, and remedy a fluffy-sounding note caused by a reed fitting too loosely in its dovetail joint. In my experience, this is by far the most common problem.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, David Barnert said:

I would add being able to diagnose, find, and remedy a fluffy-sounding note caused by a reed fitting too loosely in its dovetail joint. In my experience, this is by far the most common problem.

Good to know thanks, hasn't happened to me yet (as far as I can remember, but I might be wrong) but I'll add this to the potential list of things to monitor 😀

On 3/4/2024 at 6:36 AM, David Barnert said:

This

11 hours ago, David Barnert said:

🫤 I’d love to see what you were going to say, here.

I think Wally probably meant "I agree with this statement". It's a common shorthand on social media.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, alex_holden said:

I think Wally probably meant "I agree with this statement". It's a common shorthand on social media.

2 hours ago, Wally Carroll said:

This also

Sorry. Concertina.net is the closest I get to social media.